The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Adventure idea input needed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Adventure idea input needed Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eiren
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Adventure idea input needed Reply with quote

As some of you know me and my GF are starting up a SW campaign. I thought we were starting tomorrow because she works tonight but I just got off the phone with her and she said she has tonight off and thought we were starting tonight (and she has her heart set on playing tonight, she'sall excited to try this new RPG out).

I've been doing some thinking about it and for some reason I've had writers block or something, I just can't seem to come up with any decent ideas.

If anyone has some suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it!

Here's the background of the game in a nutshell:

Her character and her two best friends are youngish people (early 20's) who have been working in one of KDY's hyperdrive manufacturing plants for a few years. They've saved up their money and got a loan to get their own light freighter and are going to try their hand at spacer life. In her background she had done a big favor for one of her fellow workers who turns out is actually the son of a high up KDY exec. As payback for saving his sons job (i wont go into specifics) the exec told the three of them he'd get them a new custom ship built at cost.

They've had the ship built and stocked and now the exec has asked for one small favor; To take a small computer to a friend of his on a planet which is relatively en route to their destination. The group has agreed.

What they don't know is the computer contains encrypted information on the KDY military grade hyperdrives (the ones used in the Star Destroyers). The exec is a rebel sympathizer and his friend is a rebel spec ops agent.

I don't think I want anything too dramatic to happen, this is more of a very quiet introduction to the rebellion for the group. They have no plans atm to become rebels but I figured having a contact or two within the rebellion for future story arcs/information would be a good idea. In all actuality, they'll probably not even find out that these people are rebels (yet).

I'm having a mental block on coming up with any ideas for the beginning of this campagin as well as ideas for after the dropoff (assuming it goes without major incident).

The group is planning on having a legitimate freighter business, but they are somewhat open to the idea of smuggling and depending on how things go, I think they'd be open to piracy as well.

I know this is dumb. It shouldn't be so hard to come up with a few quick and dirty ideas for a game like this but like I said, I'm just having one brain fart after another. Sad

Any help input suggestions and/or advice would be much appreciated. Smile

Troops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO6rqAJ3mGc
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you Could have the drop get ambushed, and force them to flee with the operatives to another planet Razz. then get ambushed by pirates Razz

As well, what is the time frame, as throwing in hooks that tie into the movies can be spectacular.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Eiren
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, time frame is about 3 months after 'A New Hope'

vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could send them to bespin, and have them be there when lando makes his announcement Wink

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
you could send them to bespin, and have them be there when lando makes his announcement Wink

That would totally work. Have them go to Cloud City right before the Empire shows up. There they can meet contacts and discuss the plan to get the "package" to the Alliance. Then have them run into Stormtroopers and think that everything is hitting the fan.
Eiren
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea, but isn't there a large gap in time between Episode 4 and 5?

I suppose I could just fast forward things to the beginning of episode 5 if I wanted to though, she's not very familiar with the movie timeline anyways. Wink

I wonder what she would do though? She is not pro rebellino or anti empire. She is more or less neutral for now, she very well may just turn the plans over to the imperials.That'd be an interesting twist Smile

Lor-Pbk
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the group arrives to meet witht he operative, he could be in the middle of a fire fight outside of the hanger his shuttle is parked at. As the fight ends, with the heroes helping him, they discover his shuttle to be blown to bits inside the hanger. This would prompt him to ask for their continued help.

Taking them to a hidden Rebel base where they are given the oppurtunity to make contacts for future smuggling missions for the rebels. Then write out a smuggling mission...

I always try and add an element of action to every turning point. Players like to fight, even if its just a scrub squad of Imperial troops. This could also give them an underlying price on thier heads from the imperials on that planet and make return trips to that area more exciting. (Sub plots begin!!!)
Eiren
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input peeps, I appreciate it! I'm on my way home now, I'll letcha know how it all turns out 8)

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optionally, you could have it where nothing bad happens on their first run, but afterwards this 'KDY exec' calls on them for more shipping ops, and this starts getting them on the Imperials radar.
Lor-Pbk
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add... In my way of running campaigns, I find it eternally helpful to introduce a plethera of npcs during the first few games. And as GM make sure you document the NPCs well, for future use.

One trick I use is, I'm lucky enough to be artistic ( art school drop out FTW!) and I like to illustrate the NPCs and then scan them into my computer. then on game day I print out the pics on cardstock, four to a page, and cut them out, giving them o the players as they are introduced. These NPC cards are now property of the players. Thye may make notes on the back of them if they wish and during certain scenes I paperclip the cards to the "player side" of my GM screen so they can look at them.

Now I know not everyone has the ability to draw all their npcs on a whim. But there are plenty of resources to find generic pics of characters to use for this.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have your plethora of scanned npcs drawn, i would be more then happy to host them on my website for you Smile

Lor-Pbk
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
If you still have your plethora of scanned npcs drawn, i would be more then happy to host them on my website for you Smile

I will definately get back to you about this when I get them together. A I am kinda just starting a fresh campaign after 5-6 years of not playing SW and I need to build up my NPC portfolio again. Very Happy Gimmie a couple weeks... I'm still drawing alot of them. But I would love to take you up on this... soon.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, you COULD be a real son-of-a-motherless-goat and allow them to successfully make the drop, but then have their ship get either destroyed or captured. The only way they're gonna be able to lay hands on the personnel and/or firepower to retrieve said ship is to call on the Rebel contact they just made. Now, having had to do that, they're indebted to the Rebellion. The only way they're gonna work that off is to pull a job for them...perhaps one where they come in contact with a group of just-liberated slaves who've been shown the Empire's more, um, 'tender mercies.' If you're trying to work them into becoming Rebels, that might work. Show 'em something so outrageous that they are practically burning up the HoloNet trying to find an Alliance recruiter... Razz
Eiren
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the tips all. We haven't really played yet as I came down with a nasty sinus infection Thursday night and am still working on fighting it off.

I opted for the Bespin idea. I think it'd be neat to put them into that situation with Lando giving the evacuation and such.

I'm not going to push them in any direction. I prefer to just put my players into situations and see where they take it. I have the advantage of my GF not knowing a lot about Star Wars (she's not even really familiar with the movies) so I think it'll be neat to just see where she goes. Most of what she knows of the Empire is what the media spin they put out has fed her. She has no love for them but no hatred either, and same for the rebellion. For now though, she just wants to be a freighter captain.

She's a notebook junkie and when we roleplay she keeps notes on everything. She has already written up a captains log, inventory sheet, cost/expenses/profit log, etc so just running a pretty tame freighter campaign is enough to keep her interested for now.

I'll let yall know more how it goes once it actually goes somewhere, hehe.

vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice - looking forward to hearing from it. you could even take her notes, and put it up here for the rest of us to read Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: