The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Communications in hyperspace
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Communications in hyperspace Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right. Even though the holonet uses hyperspace to send its information, that signal cannot originate IN hyperspace, nor be aimed at an object in hyperspace. I guess hyperspace is too freaky to get a lock on anything in there....
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just moving too darn fast...
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Or just moving too darn fast...

I dont think that it has anything to do with speed. you are going to another layer of space, one that doesnt conform to the rules of normal space. Cant get a signal there Very Happy

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Hyperspace Reply with quote

Can you here me now? How about now, no now? Bantha Burgers... I knew I should have switched my long distance provider!!

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sir, we have come out of Hyperspace with a millionth of a percentage of deviation."

"Right, put that navigator on notice. That is far too large a margin. Now, Comm, what are our orders?"

"I'm still sorting through the Spam, Sir. But there's a number of messages for Lord Vader about Burn Ointment."
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually with the force and tyranical Imperial rule there might actually be no spam.

See the Empire isn't all bad Very Happy

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Reyus Graven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
It's another of the reasons that ships take a series of jumps to a target.

They stop, re-orient themselves, check e-mail, maintence, then off again.

Yeah its also a good time to make sure your next jump is safe. The last thing you want to do is jump to that system your going to in the middle of a rebel imperial battle.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
"Sir, we have come out of Hyperspace with a millionth of a percentage of deviation."

"Right, put that navigator on notice. That is far too large a margin. Now, Comm, what are our orders?"

"I'm still sorting through the Spam, Sir. But there's a number of messages for Lord Vader about Burn Ointment."

If we're talking interstellar distances, a millionth of a percent probably would put them in another system, or simply stranded out in nothing of deep space. I'd turn the navigator over to Vader for lightsaber practice, personally. Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Na.. Just have him deliver bad news to vader... That usually solves problems.
Expendable Hero
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I slaved my ships together and had them jump at the same time to the same place could I run something between the ships like a phone line that could send and receive messages. How expensive would it be to have a phone cord that has rip away saftey features.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expendable Hero wrote:
If I slaved my ships together and had them jump at the same time to the same place could I run something between the ships like a phone line that could send and receive messages. How expensive would it be to have a phone cord that has rip away saftey features.

Seeing as the lines would be outside the Hyperspace Bubble, it'd be very expensive! The lines would be left behind, a molocule at a time, along the jump.

The only way that could work was if the ships were *VERY* close, and physically connected very securely. (Like, say, a Starfighter attached to the hull of a Capital Ship.).

Folks would have tried something as simple as this, and, if they don't use it as a standard thing, it don't work.
Expendable Hero
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because people don't use something doesn't mean that it doesn't work. I could be that they just don't because the timing would have to be so close or some other factor. Lets be honest being able to talk with the ship going exactly where you are at the exact same time isn't all that useful most of the time and there would be no reason to put them in a stock ship. The amount of difficulty it would take to coordinate more than 2 or 3 ships would almost make it pointless. I just can't help but feel that there would be a way using the technology they have.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if you strapped a Hyperspace Bouy as a "Booster" to the Bubbles, then it might work.

Be an expensive thing to do still.
Expendable Hero
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I'm not saying I would ever use it. I just think its the closest thing you could get to communicating in hyperspace. Although if you where running a horror type star wars game it might be a nice feature if you feel like splitting the party up without splitting them up.

P.S. I think everyone should try and do a horror style star wars it makes a completely new twist on an already amazing game. There are plenty of great story parts already that would make great parts to a horror game.
Reyus Graven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expendable Hero wrote:
Hey I'm not saying I would ever use it. I just think its the closest thing you could get to communicating in hyperspace. Although if you where running a horror type star wars game it might be a nice feature if you feel like splitting the party up without splitting them up.

P.S. I think everyone should try and do a horror style star wars it makes a completely new twist on an already amazing game. There are plenty of great story parts already that would make great parts to a horror game.

I'm always a fan of horror style. Now if there was a way to justify zombies in space in star wars. Perhaps cyborg zombies. Kept going by their cybernetic implants...yes.....your party is trapped on a derelict star destroyer and there are zombies...CYBORG zombie with imperial uniforms.

Other then that look at those jawas, their pretty freaky. Why do they have hoods all the time what do they have to hide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: