The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ambidexterity
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Ambidexterity Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Ambidexterity Reply with quote

Decided to split this off from the dual-wield thread as I didn't want to get it off-topic.

What do you think about allowing players to spend 1D of starting skill dice to get ambidexterity? Treat it like a Special Ability, and it negates off-hand penalties.

Skyler would hate this. Twisted Evil

I am definitely sure in my opinion that it should come at a cost, just not sure if 1D of starting skill dice is enough of a sacrifice for a player to make to negate all off-hand penalties for the duration of the entire campaign. I just feel that if, as a GM, I were to let players put down "ambidextrous" on their character sheet without having to pay for it in some way, that I'm cheating all the other players that didn't think (or want) to do so. If it didn't cost anything...everyone in the galaxy could be ambidextrous just by wishing it.

Thoughts?
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 1D is enough, but you could make it 1D of attribute dice if you think you are being to nice on the players Razz

But i definitely think there should be a cost associated to it.

What would the CP cost be, 20?

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good thought. I think it needs a bit of refining. I see only one main issue, and that is the fact that the 2nd ed R&E doesn't have any off-hand penalties. Are you house ruling the off-hand penalties as well, or are you using D6 Space rules?
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about that; the 1D of attribute dice. That literally occurred to me five minutes ago...not sure though; might be too much. Confused

I figured the cost (after character creation) would be 10 CP to "commit" to it, then if the character sticks with it---working at it and such---during the next two adventures, the GM says "Okay, you've put forth the effort" and he can get a -1 from all off-hand penalties for free. If he keeps it up, working on getting better at it, then after two more adventures (at the GM's discretion) he'll be allowed to improve it to "-2 from all off-hand penalties" by spending 5 CP. Finally, after the sixth adventure of working on it, he can spend 10 CP and receive the full negation of all off-hand penalties. If the character doesn't actively try to learn the ability, then all CPs spent on it are lost, and he has to start over. It should be really hard to go from using a primary hand to being able to use both hands equally well, and it shouldn't be something that you can just "train between adventures" on. You should be trying to do it all the time, otherwise it's not going to stick.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
It's a good thought. I think it needs a bit of refining. I see only one main issue, and that is the fact that the 2nd ed R&E doesn't have any off-hand penalties. Are you house ruling the off-hand penalties as well, or are you using D6 Space rules?

you sure... thought there was.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some traces (The Troig for example) do have ambidexterity as a special rule so it should cost unless you have a pretty decent reason for it.

Tiny for example has a artifical limb so that limb can be used without penalty because it's got programming to compensate for being his 'off hand' (even though it was originally the primary hand)

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
cheshire wrote:

I've never noticed any off-hand penalties in the rules. Doesn't mean they're not there, I just may have glossed over them.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
I think 1D is enough, but you could make it 1D of attribute dice if you think you are being to nice on the players Razz

But i definitely think there should be a cost associated to it.

What would the CP cost be, 20?

That is how i do it. Cannot start with being ambidexterous, but can learn it in game by paying 20cp.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
cheshire wrote:

I've read straight through the rules a couple of times, and never noticed it. I've noticed them in the latest incarnation of D6. But of course, the fact that I don't know about it is insufficient evidence to suggest that they aren't there.

If someone produces a page number, I'll gladly wear the dunce cap for the day. Smile
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm pretty sure there aren't off-hand penalties outlined in 2nd Ed. At least not in R&E (the only version of the rules that I've ever read). I've not seen the ones for D6 Space; here are the ones I've been using:

-1D for using only one hand (for handguns and large or heavy melee weapons, etc.; this applies to both weapons' attack), -1D for using your off-hand (for that weapon's attack only), and you suffer any MAPs as normal. The benefit is that you get two attacks in one turn. You need a skill of 6D+ for it to be viable, higher preferred. A proper shield or its equivalent may be used in conjunction with the Melee Parry skill (or for those that have done away with the Parry skills, Melee Combat) as a reaction roll without incurring one-hand or off-hand penalties (only when parrying with the shield; if you decide to bash someone with the shield, you suffer the penalties).
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen official rules on an off-hand penalty in the D6 SWRPG either. Like Matthias777, I've also house-ruled it as a -1D penalty, but only had to invoke it when a character was forced to use his off-hand because of injuries.

And if anyone cares about my opinion, I've also allowed characters to take ambidexterity at creation, for 2D of starting skills (but I'm still not sure how appropriate that cost is).
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the off-hand rules for D6 Space? I don't have the D6 Space PDF (wish I did).
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in D6...

Ambidextrous is a "special ability" that can be bought off in character generation... it looks like offhand penalties are handled with MAP's. i.e. -1D. Each level of ambidexterity reduces the penalty by 1 pip. So, to be completely ambidextrous, you would need 3 levels of ambidexterity - each of which costs 2cp to start.

Improving it later on sounds a little awkward, but makes sense... 5 times the base cost plus the current level. i.e. you have something that costs 2cp to begin with at level 4 (no, you really, can't, but work with me... ), so... it breaks down that it costs 5*2 (starting cost) + 4 (current level) or 14 cp

As for dual wielding, the only thing that MIGHT apply (other than MAPs) is an "unwieldy weapon"... which adds +5 or more to the difficulty...
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:
You need a skill of 6D+ for it to be viable, higher preferred.

If that's the case, then the house rule isn't providing a reasonable replication of the real world. Granted, I'm taking this from a perspective of having studied Renaissance fending, but when someone is at 6D, then they are going to be the best in 100,000 people. In an historical fencing club of 50 regular attendees, about half can use an off-hand weapon effectively. I would say at least 15 can use them with sickeningly deadly accuracy. Usually the off-hand weapon is a much more finely balanced dagger, rapier, or buckler. But still, if it takes 6D to make it really worth while, I'm not sure the mechanic is balanced.

Matthias777 wrote:

A proper shield or its equivalent may be used in conjunction with the Melee Parry skill (or for those that have done away with the Parry skills, Melee Combat) as a reaction roll without incurring one-hand or off-hand penalties (only when parrying with the shield; if you decide to bash someone with the shield, you suffer the penalties).

A shield really shouldn't require two-hands. It's a skill that's developed specifically for the off-hand anyway. Believe it or not, there are actually some things that you do better with your off-hand, mostly because you've never learned to do them with your dominant hand. Try typing on the left side with your right hand... it won't work too well for you. You've developed the muscle memory for the left side of the keyboard with your left hand. Shields are like that too. I would remove the penalty, and grant a 1D bonus to the parry skill for bucklers, 2D for larger shields, and 3D for kite shields.

Just my two cents.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd need a skill of 6D+ to dual-wield a pair of blasters, is what that sentence was meant to imply. If you read my rule again, you'll notice that the only melee weapons that incur a penalty are large or heavy melee weapons. A rapier or dagger would obviously would not fall under either category, as they are intended for use with one hand, and are designed as such (light, small, and balanced). No one-hand penalty would be incurred for either weapon, although a dagger would get a -1D off-hand penalty, which isn't much to trade for two attacks in the same round [Edit: Turn, not round! D'oh.).

As to the shields, I'm not even sure how you could use a shield with two hands unless you dropped your weapon, and I'm sorry if my post wasn't clear as to that. My shields rule basically means that you are able to use the shield to parry blows at no penalty. No off-hand penalty, because a shield is almost invariably designed to be used by your off-hand, and feels "natural" as a result. No one-hand penalty, because again, it's invariably designed to be used by one hand (or arm, depending on the size) anyway. So basically you've been granted ambidexterity when using a shield. As for bonuses, if they apply, then they should be part of the shield's stats.

Last edited by Matthias777 on Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: