The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Another use for Force Points
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Another use for Force Points Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Another use for Force Points Reply with quote

In a game I am running currently, I am adding another use for Force points, something I took from the Battlestar Galactica RPG.

I am FP's to be used as a way that the player can augment the plot in their favor. For example, storm troopers are coming down a canyon, and a PC wants to hide in an outcropping in the rocks… When there isn’t one there, using a Force Point can allow the player to augment the terrain I designed to allow them this partial or full cover.

It allows them to be more involved in the game design, rather then being led by the nose.

Thoughts and Suggestions?
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good idea, but I can see it messing up plots horribly for the DM...

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What rules would you use to limit it, though?
Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can, and it has. But, it makes the GM think more on his/her feet just like a player.

Adds to the fun for me as a GM I suppose.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have enough fun trying to send PCs in evil directions Twisted Evil

b@st@rd* always get away tho Razz

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong: lol, I hear ya.

I have no set rule for this system, I just use my own judgment on what they have to work with at the time.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this can work, But more often then not I see this causing more hassle for the already complicated life of a gm.

If you instituted this, you have a clause attached to it - each addition is subject to GM approval. That way if its alright, they just want to do it, thats fine. But if you are sending them to the end of the canyon, then there is no ledge as a greater power is hiding them all Wink

Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every point spent is subject to GM approval. I make tough scenarios sometimes, and the idea of gaming is not for the GM to win, but for everyone to have fun.

This is the same reason, that I play out our NPC's. It adds to the dynamic element of the group, and all in all, it is just good fun.

Now that being said....

I've countered a Plot augmentation with one of my own too. My ally is thinking on the fly... and a powerful ally it is.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I like that idea... but, you and I have different gaming styles too.

I can see how it works, as a game mechanic, at least, but I don't like what it implies about the nature of Force Points and how characters (not players) interact with them. Mechanically, it's kinda sensible, give up an in-game advantage for a favouring plot device... but in-story I'm not sure that I'm down with it.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted it more to be an exchange of in game advantages.

Give up one benefit for another.

I toyed with giving out "plot points" but then they were just other advantages to earn and use, without the loss of anything.

I eventually settled on Force points because it would be the nature of the force to guide someone into a scenario with a slight advantage. Even non-force sensitives occasionally get "hunches".
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. It would require a lot of thought before spending one in this manner, which is also a positive thing.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, because in my games I usually tell the players that they automatically have an effect on the terrain. If I haven not specified whether or not something mundane is in a room, it's there. For example if the characters are trying to baracade a door, they are allowed to say, "I move the bookshelf in the room in front of the door." If it's logical for a bookcase to be in that room, I let them create it. If it doesn't make sense, like if they were in an Ewok hut, then I won't let them.

Sometimes there's a bit of friendly competition with the creation of items. They may say, "I dive behind this previously unmentioned crate for cover." Then I may say, "You dive for cover, escaping the blaster bolts... though you quickly realize the crate is marked, 'EXPLOSIVES.'

If someone says, "Is there anything I can dive behind for cover," I'll occasionally say, "I don't know... let's find out. Call odds or evens!" And then I roll a die.

Of course, I'm a pretty dastardly GM, so don't listen to me. Smile
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
It's funny, because in my games I usually tell the players that they automatically have an effect on the terrain. If I haven not specified whether or not something mundane is in a room, it's there. For example if the characters are trying to baracade a door, they are allowed to say, "I move the bookshelf in the room in front of the door." If it's logical for a bookcase to be in that room, I let them create it. If it doesn't make sense, like if they were in an Ewok hut, then I won't let them.

Sometimes there's a bit of friendly competition with the creation of items. They may say, "I dive behind this previously unmentioned crate for cover." Then I may say, "You dive for cover, escaping the blaster bolts... though you quickly realize the crate is marked, 'EXPLOSIVES.'

If someone says, "Is there anything I can dive behind for cover," I'll occasionally say, "I don't know... let's find out. Call odds or evens!" And then I roll a die.

Of course, I'm a pretty dastardly GM, so don't listen to me. Smile

I do the same thing. My example usually is a player says "I swing from the chandelier to kick the stormtrooper" then I say Sure, there is a chandelier

masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
They may say, "I dive behind this previously unmentioned crate for cover." Then I may say, "You dive for cover, escaping the blaster bolts... though you quickly realize the crate is marked, 'EXPLOSIVES.'

I've had this exact same thing happen to me. Of course, since my character was a demolitions guy, I broke the crate open, and rigged it. Didn't turn out too well for the people shooting at us.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
It is a good idea, but I can see it messing up plots horribly for the DM...

AS well as pcs using it to cheeze up things.. While i can maybe see it making subtle changes to the environ (like say making that bush have more leaves to hide behind) i cannot see it growing one out of the blue..

Quote:

I use 2 dice. One of one color and one of another one. Which color/which direction is their call. If they get it, i rule in their favor, if not, it does not go their way..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: