The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Personal shields
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Personal shields Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phaedrus
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Personal shields Reply with quote

Here's a question for ya'll...

Does anyone use personal sheilds in their campaign? I've recently started a d6 campaign, and most of the players have played at least some incarnation of the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games. Kyle Katarn is always picking up shield boosters Smile Now of course, they're asking me about them.

Any pointers?

~ phaedrus
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Not going to happen... Reply with quote

Shields, as per the Star Wars Tech Manuals, are Radioactive. And, thusly, cannot be used for personal armour.

Sure, let the PCs use 'em... Then comment on how Sterile Kyle is. Laughing
Vex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are some personnal shields, but they dont use radiation, and are therefore bullky and innefecient.

The only one I've ever used is about the size of 2 breathmasls and is worn around your waste. It provides 2d of shields for 3 minutes off of a standard power pack, and can only be used for 15 minutes without being cleaned(something that for our group doesnt requir any roles, you just have to be in a base or ship type environment, and not in combat).

Anyway hope I helped!
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a look in Auron's Equipment Guide I'll post them there Smile

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Vex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats kool, but the ones I'm talking about are alot bigger alot more expensive, and have a higher shield d (6 I think Question ) and incase thew whole body.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vex wrote:
Thats kool, but the ones I'm talking about are alot bigger alot more expensive, and have a higher shield d (6 I think Question ) and incase thew whole body.

You can modify those sheilds up to 5D+2... as for covering the whole body, they might as well get a suit of armor

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Vex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever, I'm just relating information.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a full body shield has to run pretty expensive... besides, trying to relate crap that's in a videogame to stuff in an rpg is really hard, because in the videogame, you NEED that sheild, in the rpg, you're allowed to take your shot at avoiding everything... that's not so easy in a computer game

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Vex
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its in one of the books, not some freakin game!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with everyone sticking to the rules so closely? Role play, guys! I've said it before and I am saying it again:

The rules are to be used as a guideline, and not set in stone. Don't rely on them 100% of the time. Have some fun.

For example with the personal shields...
Let the players tweak them so they do have a stronger strength, but unknown to them, the effective range has also increased and/or they have their air cut off (if not using a breath mask). Imagine what would happen if the effective area was larger (think invisible Michelin men): two of them are in combat, and dodging, covering each other, etc. and both have tweaked personal shields. Next thing they know, they have bumped into each other. BOING! They bounce away faster than you can say, "bantha poodoo on a burnt, brown stick". Take that a step furhter and they are in a low-grav area... Laughing
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that!

I never leave the rules alone, I'm always tweaking one thing or another.

NPC's, combat, heck even equipment, I tweak'em all.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

because if you tweak the rules too much, you open doors that you wont want to, pandora's box... that's all i have to say

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word. I think there is so much information on new equipment, vehicles, ships, etc, that making new things like enhanced shields unnecessary. Believe me, when I started I had nothing and made a bunch of new stuff. It turned out a lot of it already existed in the sourcebooks and were more thought out than mine. I'm for playing beyond the rules of the game, but the rules are there to fall back on. I've tweaked them in the past, but I ended up back on course.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group has never really had a problem with getting an inch and taking a mile, when it comes to our tweaked rules. Everyone shows restraint and a good health dose of common sense, no one run’s about with a 22D weapons or 57D in alter or what have you. Sure, we include EU material, and it is true that some of or combat rules have been modified to suit our collective tastes, but that hardly means that our games have degraded into chaos or ridiculously overpowered characters/equipment/Force Powers.

If you have a group of likeminded, mature, players it issue of “will tweaking lead to rules-raping?” becomes a moot point, because no mature player would subvert the game at the expense of plausibility merely for a few extra dice.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not talking about the players taking too much... because sometimes they can take too much and not even know that they're taking it... sometimes no one realizes it until it's too late...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: