The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Melee Weapon Customization
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Melee Weapon Customization Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samp
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Melee Weapon Customization Reply with quote

One of my players likes to use melee weapons. Another player likes to use ranged weapons. They make a good team because one can lay some cover fire while the other sneaks in for the kill.

The problem is that the blaster player has many more options to customize his weapon to his liking. He can increase the damage, add hairpin triggers, and other stuff. He just has lots of options.

To contrast I feel like the player with the melee weapon has almost no options. Right now he is using a stock vibroblade. I was wondering if you guys had any things you have come up with that could customize his weapon without tossing out balance (where as blaster mods are expensive and could break the blaster, or be prone to messing up).

I thing was maybe adding stun damage to the melee weapon when it hits. Say it does the main damage, then it would do extra just stun damage after.

another one could be some sort of blade balancing that lets him block other melee weapons better.

If I can not come up with anything maybe i will open up the markets to more exotic weapons. Right now I have been keeping weapons and equipment.
Karae
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For weapons customizations, I'd turn to stuff from a couple of different systems (Shadowrun and SLA Industries.)

If you want, I'll try to whip them into something more representative of Star Wars, and either post them, or throw up a PDF of them.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny Karae mentioned Shadowrun; I was thinking along the lines of adding a monofilament line to the blade; in Shadowrun that added a full D of damage to the blade.
Samp
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never played either of those, so if you could post your ideas it would help a ton Smile

Also I am writing some ideas that I have down, and ill filter out the stupid ones , and I will post what I have come up with.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, monofilament lines are actually mentioned in some SW novels...particularly I remember one of the Young Jedi Knights books listing monofilament wires being used as traps in the woods; the line would be wound around pairs of trees, and unsuspecting victims would walk right through the trap, not realizing they'd just been shredded until it was too late, because the line is too thin to be able to see with the naked eye, at least at distances where one could stop and alter directions.

The kids had to basically search out the traps using Danger Sense, then they'd slice through with their lightsabers.

A line like this added to the cutting edge of a sword would make it a formidable weapon indeed.
Golbez
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always turn to KoTOR on this matter as well. Melee weapons were upgradable in the game, and added effects.

Durasteel Alloy bonding : Added Damage and Damage resistance

Energy Projector : Added Electrical Damage to a weapon (maybe this could be the stun mod you were thinking of)

Vibration Cell : Additional stability for vibro weapons, allowing for increased hit and damage (less of a chance to have your weapon knocked away, maybe as well maybe)
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that anything with a die code can be modified according to the rules. This means that a stock STR+2D vibroblade can be modified to STR+3D+2. And then this guy can get something like Smasher Armor for a Srength boost on top of that.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about customizing, but you can also add variety by giving him other choices of melee weapons beyond the stock vibroblade. Check out the Weapon Stats book, there are plenty of variety there.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Melee Weapon Customization Reply with quote

Samp wrote:
One of my players likes to use melee weapons. Another player likes to use ranged weapons. They make a good team because one can lay some cover fire while the other sneaks in for the kill.

The problem is that the blaster player has many more options to customize his weapon to his liking. He can increase the damage, add hairpin triggers, and other stuff. He just has lots of options.

You have many ways to improve melee weapons. Increase their damage, possibily reduce their skill requirement (better balanced), increase their body to make it easier for them to survive getting hit.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get really creative: balance it better so it can be thrown.

And for the uber-creative: give it a repulsor motor so it comes back.

Laughing
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

put a droid brain in the weapon and then a voice box for it. that way you can talk to your weapon. then give the weapon some sort of optic sensor so it can see, and then make it emo.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot the hyperdrive....
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all forgot your minds somewhere around the 9th post! Wink
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't forget what I don't have.... Shocked
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xynar said it best:
Quote:
"Remember that anything with a die code can be modified according to the rules. This means that a stock STR+2D vibroblade can be modified to STR+3D+2. And then this guy can get something like Smasher Armor for a Srength boost on top of that."

If you wanna get creative you can right up some stuff on how the weapon become increased... such as with stronger durasteel, etc.

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: