The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rolling damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Rolling damage
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gabriel81
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Rolling damage Reply with quote

I think that its a bit much to roll first for damage and then roll the characters strength dice and compare the results. I am thinking of simple giving 3 or 4 for every dice and +1 +2 for pips.

Like this.
A character has strength 3D+2 he gets 11 in damage comparison code. So when he gets injured I simply roll the damage code and compare to his score of eleven..

How bout that? Is there any other alternative damage system that not involves so many rolls as the original?
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rolling damage Reply with quote

Gabriel81 wrote:
I think that its a bit much to roll first for damage and then roll the characters strength dice and compare the results. I am thinking of simple giving 3 or 4 for every dice and +1 +2 for pips.

Like this.
A character has strength 3D+2 he gets 11 in damage comparison code. So when he gets injured I simply roll the damage code and compare to his score of eleven..

How bout that? Is there any other alternative damage system that not involves so many rolls as the original?

Well, to start the average dice roll is a 3.5, so I would use that. now how you round it is up to you (up or down doesnt matter)

Personally, I like that you roll each time, But you can streamline the game play a bit. Have characters roll up 30 str rolls (for resisiting damage) and write them down. then when the game starts, they dont have to roll to resist damage, you just keep moving down the chart using rolls as you need them.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't let the players make rolls for a chart, as it could easily spoil some of the fun (knowing that your next Strength roll is either very good or very bad, for instance). It just seems more fun (to me) to see how the dice roll right when it happens. Adds to the experience and all that. But to each his or her own.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:
I wouldn't let the players make rolls for a chart, as it could easily spoil some of the fun (knowing that your next Strength roll is either very good or very bad, for instance). It just seems more fun (to me) to see how the dice roll right when it happens. Adds to the experience and all that. But to each his or her own.

Oh, you dont let them keep it, you keep the chart. you could even roll it yourself (or use a random number generator to make it)

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i run games i usually pre-roll damage rolls then let the players roll to resist every time. most of my players, me included, enjoy that feeling of anticipation just after the roll to see if the character survived. also if you standardize the resistance roll wouldn't it just get easier to kill off characters?
Revenant
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rolling damage Reply with quote

Gabriel81 wrote:

While not a good idea for PCs or villians this is actually the technique I use for most no-name thugs. Ever odd die is a 3 every even die is a 4, but I always roll the wild die. So a wookie with a strength of 5D would I just eyeball it at 3+4+3+4+(wild die), or a 14 +/- whatever the wild die gives or takes away, on damage resistance tests.

Most times I roll it, just for the sake of randomness, but eyeballing it speeds the game up.

"The boy is plain dagnasty evil!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rolling damage Reply with quote

Revenant wrote:
Gabriel81 wrote:

While not a good idea for PCs or villians this is actually the technique I use for most no-name thugs. Ever odd die is a 3 every even die is a 4, but I always roll the wild die. So a wookie with a strength of 5D would I just eyeball it at 3+4+3+4+(wild die), or a 14 +/- whatever the wild die gives or takes away, on damage resistance tests.

Most times I roll it, just for the sake of randomness, but eyeballing it speeds the game up.

Yes i do that quite a bit for villans. Just estimate what the dice are and move on Smile

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always just roll about 12 different strength tests (11 actually) and then have the players roll 2 dice every time and the add the result together. The number (between 2 and 12) is the number of the strength test they use that way there is some randomness but it's quick randomness.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ifurin wrote:
when i run games i usually pre-roll damage rolls then let the players roll to resist every time. most of my players, me included, enjoy that feeling of anticipation just after the roll to see if the character survived. also if you standardize the resistance roll wouldn't it just get easier to kill off characters?

Very true, especially whe you take into account many of the times the best stories of survival came out, where when they made the soak against massive damage incomming. With this 'standardization, even a wookie only needs 36 on damage against him to kill him..
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
Oh, you dont let them keep it, you keep the chart. you could even roll it yourself (or use a random number generator to make it)

Okay, yeah. That's pretty much what I was getting at. I'm pretty sure one of the many dice-roller programs I've seen allows you to roll a ton of different dice at once for just such a purpose, and provides formatted output for printing purposes. Can't remember which dice roller it was or where I saw it, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: