The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Mandolorian Body Armor not in Gry's Equiptment Guide?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Mandolorian Body Armor not in Gry's Equiptment Guide? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revenant
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s what we use in my games. Take what you like, scrap what you don’t. To me it makes nore sense then 24D in attributes and making them gods of the galaxy.

Mandalorian (12D)
Dexterity: 1D/4D
Knowledge: 1D/4D
Mechanical: 1D/4D
Perception: 1D/4D
Strength: 1D/5D
Technical: 1D/5D

Special Abilities:
Enhanced Healing: Legends tell of the Mandalorian clans being nearly impossible to kill. This ability is what gave rise to their reputation for being an indomindable species. Mandalorians may check for healing whether they have rested or not, and even under conditions that would normally make it impossible for lesser species (swamps, deserts, sewers, etc.) This ability is a product of the Mandalorian genetic superiority, infections are rare and their metabolisms are high.

Shake Off Stun – A Mandalorian may shake of a stun at anytime they choose by spending their entire action for a single round catching a second wind. Only one stun my be shook off per round.
Wounded – Mandalorian may check for healing every day, whether they are at rest or not.
Wounded Twice – Every day, whether they are wounded or not.
Incapacitated – The Mandalorian my check for healing after three standard days.
Mortally Wounded – Providing they’re still alive, they may check for healing after two standard weeks.

Force Skeptical: The Mandalorians have a code of honor that runs deep within their bloodlines. Honor in battle and the ability to live and die by their own wits and skill is what’s most important to them. Because of this the Mandalorians remain skeptical of The Force. Most see it as a crutch and refuse to open their minds to its call. They respect the Jedi however, seeing them as a clan of warriors who, despite their need to fall back on the force, have always fought with honor.

Mandalorains may earn Force Points. They may not start as Force Sensitive however, and the cost for becoming so later in their career is doubles (40cps). The constant skepticism always rides the back of their mind and they learn all Force skills and power more slowly. Double the training time and character point costs for training with a master. Triple the times if the character is trying to learn on their own.

Infamy: The Mandalorians have a reputation for war, destruction, and burning entire lanets just to prove they can. This makes social interaction a bit difficult for them at times. Mandalorians suffer a –2D penalty on all social rolls. They do however gain a +2D to any roll to intimidate a victim as long as that victim knows the character is a Mandalorian.

Code of Honor: All Mandalorians follow a code of honor. While this may be most anything the player chooses it is something very serious and the Mandalorian will follow his code of honor over all other things of importance. Now matter how far the Mandalorian may fall to the dankest, bleakest, dagnastiest black ness of the Darkside the Mandalorian will never forsake their code of honor.

Until the Mandalorian has atoned for any violation to his Code of Honor, he may not spend, or earn any Force Points or character points.

The Canons of Honor for Clan Delgath:

”Seek glory over fortune; wealth for its own sake breeds only further avarice. Glory, however, leaves a legacy for the ages. Value freedom, for oneself and others. Reject the illusion of liberty granted by power; it is a prison for which there is no key. Honour, above all; better that you die with honour than live forever without.”

”There is no glory in defeating a helpless opponent.”

”Follow me if I advance. Avenge me if I fall. Slay me if I retreat.” -Clan Motto

”What? You wanna live forever?” (Founder of Clan Delgath as he charged into a battalion of frothing Wookies. Being the only Mandalorian in the squad he learned that yes, they did in fact, want to live forever… cowards.)

”Once committed to a course of action, do not hesitate, but see it through to its inevitable conclusion.”

”In war, there is no such thing as an unfair advantage.”

”Conflict breeds strength.“

”Pain is weakness leaving the body.”

Move: 10/12
Size: 1.5-2.0 meters tall

"The boy is plain dagnasty evil!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had no intention of giving them 24, I always thought the 18 on that page included the bonus 6. So I would tinker it a bit and make it like 13+6=19 (Equal to the Falleen) or 14 (Equal to a couple other better than humans) the 24D thing seems ludicrous and part of me thinks thats what they intended, part thinks there's no way someone who loves WEG SW could be so terribly munchkin about Madalorians.

I will now look back over your entire post since I glanced it and replied before even reading it hehe.

Alexis
*smiles*
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno... Mandalorians probably suffer from a worse case of fan-boyism than even Jedi do. I can see people munchkinizing them something fierce.

Personally, I wouldn't stat them any different than humans, like other near-humans. Take a Mandalorian out of Mandalorian culture, they'd probably be no better or worse than a regular person. Their training and culture makes all the difference.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True which is the reason I thought of leaving the majority of their stats 2d/4D ala humans and giving them a whopping one extra point. If someone did a Mandalorian out of water (fish out of water syndrome, Mandalorian raised in human culture = soft Mandalorian or better known as Human, its their culture from which they get that extra 1D) in my games, they would lose that 1 extra dice as they would not have suffered the trial by fire that creates a true warrior of Mandalore.

Of course this is the beauty of gamemastering, we don't have to see directly eye to eye so long as we are on the same page (i.e.- we both want to avoid munchkin Mandalorians).

Alexis
*smiles*
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would stat them as humans then add the following as the ability that gives them the 1D extra. Please note I did not write a whole new entry but instead worked from Revenant's.

Mandalorian (12D)
Dexterity: 2D/4D
Knowledge: 2D/4D
Mechanical: 2D/4D
Perception: 2D/4D
Strength: 2D/4D
Technical: 2D/4D

Special Abilities:

Mandalorian Culture: Mandalorians come from an exceptionally brutal and competitive society, weakness is not tolerated and failure is often punished. As such Mandalorian characters who were raised in this culture may add 1D to any one of the following stats: Strength, Dexterity or Mechanical at the time of character creation, this can cause them to exceed normal racial maximum, but ONLY at character creation. Increase of the stat beyond this point requires the normal methods. This represents the often harsh and exceptionally difficult training regimes Mandalorian soldiers and pilots go through. It is the trial by fire that survival of which denotes a True Mandalorian. Mandalorians raised among other cultures forfeit this bonus altogether.

Enhanced Healing: Legends tell of the Mandalorian clans being nearly impossible to kill. This ability is what gave rise to their reputation for being an indomindable species. Mandalorians may check for healing whether they have rested or not, and even under conditions that would normally make it impossible for lesser species (swamps, deserts, sewers, etc.) This ability is a product of the Mandalorian genetic superiority, infections are rare and their metabolisms are high.

Shake Off Stun – A Mandalorian may shake of a stun at anytime they choose by spending their entire action for a single round catching a second wind. Only one stun my be shook off per round.
Wounded – Mandalorian may check for healing every day, whether they are at rest or not.
Wounded Twice – Every day, whether they are wounded or not.
Incapacitated – The Mandalorian my check for healing after three standard days.
Mortally Wounded – Providing they’re still alive, they may check for healing after two standard weeks.

Force Skeptical: The Mandalorians have a code of honor that runs deep within their bloodlines. Honor in battle and the ability to live and die by their own wits and skill is what’s most important to them. Because of this the Mandalorians remain skeptical of The Force. Most see it as a crutch and refuse to open their minds to its call. They respect the Jedi however, seeing them as a clan of warriors who, despite their need to fall back on the force, have always fought with honor.

Mandalorains may earn Force Points. They may not start as Force Sensitive however, and the cost for becoming so later in their career is doubles (40cps). The constant skepticism always rides the back of their mind and they learn all Force skills and power more slowly. Double the training time and character point costs for training with a master. Triple the times if the character is trying to learn on their own.

Infamy: The Mandalorians have a reputation for war, destruction, and burning entire lanets just to prove they can. This makes social interaction a bit difficult for them at times. Mandalorians suffer a –2D penalty on all social rolls. They do however gain a +2D to any roll to intimidate a victim as long as that victim knows the character is a Mandalorian.

Code of Honor: All Mandalorians follow a code of honor. While this may be most anything the player chooses it is something very serious and the Mandalorian will follow his code of honor over all other things of importance. Now matter how far the Mandalorian may fall to the dankest, bleakest, dagnastiest black ness of the Darkside the Mandalorian will never forsake their code of honor.

Until the Mandalorian has atoned for any violation to his Code of Honor, he may not spend, or earn any Force Points or character points.

The Canons of Honor for Clan Delgath:

”Seek glory over fortune; wealth for its own sake breeds only further avarice. Glory, however, leaves a legacy for the ages. Value freedom, for oneself and others. Reject the illusion of liberty granted by power; it is a prison for which there is no key. Honour, above all; better that you die with honour than live forever without.”

”There is no glory in defeating a helpless opponent.”

”Follow me if I advance. Avenge me if I fall. Slay me if I retreat.” -Clan Motto

”What? You wanna live forever?” (Founder of Clan Delgath as he charged into a battalion of frothing Wookies. Being the only Mandalorian in the squad he learned that yes, they did in fact, want to live forever… cowards.)

”Once committed to a course of action, do not hesitate, but see it through to its inevitable conclusion.”

”In war, there is no such thing as an unfair advantage.”

”Conflict breeds strength.“

”Pain is weakness leaving the body.”

Move: 10/12
Size: 1.5-2.0 meters tall
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS, thanks Rev, I think this about covers my Mandalorian entry now. Thanks to your help. Enough checks and balances there, love the negatives no good race is all bonuses.

Also Rev did you get a chance to scan up that Force tree from Saga yet?

Alexis
*smiles*
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mandies died out a long time ago. Their culture survived and they are different races following the same code/creed and wearing similar armor (each is unique). There should not be any "racial" stats but maybe a template bonus or special abilities/story factors only.
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not every game takes place after their demise. A game set before the Mandalorian War or during it would require the information about them to be at hand.

I run in numerous, and I mean numerous timelines and variations. Also iirc according to EU two clans of them survived and appear later in the stories, I believe. Even if not, could make a good story arc for a Director to run.

So to say that no one should ever be able to play one is just silly. The director decides what is canon and what isn't, if the Director wants the Mandalore people in their full glory as a main arc piece, their game, their call. If they want to let a player play one, also a call for them to make.

I try not to inflict my personal choices/opinions/Director calls on other peoples' games. And I sincerely hope my fellows feel as I on this.

Alexis
^_^

One of the best SW campaigns I was ever in was centered around a sudden reappearance of Mandalorians, and man I will never forget some of the things we faced from them and theirs.
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the stats should reflect the timelines. The race died thousands of years before ANH but even then the culture lived on. About 3000 years before ANH, the Mandies were already a mixture of races. And according to EU references, the Mandalorians' culture was ressurrected (only two known survivors and Boba was one of them) and fought against the Vong.
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will refrain from fighting with you Xynar but will remind you the first rule of gaming, all the material and rules, are just guidelines. I can tell you are someone I would not want to game with. But we all have our preferences and opinions.

Let me opine for a moment,

If a director wants Mandalorians in their game, regardless of time line, so long as the differences are spelled out nice and clear to the players in advance and they do not dissent. Then more power to that Director and may they have a thousand thousand fun adventures on a thousand thousand worlds. We play in a pond of creativity, encouraging it can only enhance us overall.

Alexis
*shakes her head at people who think "their" way is the only way*
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karae wrote:
The only other example I can think of from the top of my head, is Jodo Kast's armour... but that opens up the debate of whether it was Mandalorian or not..

I personally believe it was legit...I mean sure, Boba Fett killed Kast. He kinda had to, though; the barve was taking credit for Fett's successes.

But Fett also TOOK THE ARMOR...he didn't take it and destroy it, he kept it. That to me says "REAL DEAL."

I mean, Mandalorian armor is QUITE rare; so when one comes across a spare suit of it, you GRABS it! Razz

Even if you DO have to peel it off a corpse. Just bring LOTS o' Clorox Bleach... Wink
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith'Ari Lizanthrin wrote:
I will refrain from fighting with you Xynar but will remind you the first rule of gaming, all the material and rules, are just guidelines.

I'm not trying to argue, but to educate. I have seen so many people get seduced by the cool things that are in Star Wars and they don't know squat about it. That's all. For an accurate stat source, it would be based on the books/comics/others as reference as is everything else that is in a regular book. Then the GM can modify to their hearts desire.

Sith'Ari Lizanthrin wrote:
I can tell you are someone I would not want to game with.

I'm actually not a rules lawyer or rigid as to be inflexible about this. I just wanted to educate. But I am a hell of a Star Wars player....... but a better GM (because I haven't played in over 10 years, but GM'd three 3+ year campaigns).
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After an intense amount of reading, I am about willing to concede to Xynar on the racial thing. True Mandalorians is used to refer to the 75 of 100 Supercommandos that accompanied Fett to Kamino to train the clone armies, yet none of them were Taung (Racial Mandalorian).

I am working on a template for them, but as templates are somewhat new to me it is slow going. I still intend to have some "special" notes akin to the ability list as a "True Mandalorian" would be Force Skeptical, and well trained (adding the 1D). I will however probably drop the healing factor unless, over time, they form a "race" again. Which, our current campaign given, may end up being reality in the next hundred years or so.

Alexis
*smiles*
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it adds to their mystique that they are maybe dead, almost dead, or who knows? But back to the armor. It looks like they share a design motif as far as the faceplate/helmet. Also they all seem to have at least one armor gadget like a line thrower or weapon. Almost all appear to have a jet pack / rocket pack and atmo reprocessor / breather or enviro seal. The Knights of the Old Republic comics are what's giving me the most information right now.
Sith'Ari Lizanthrin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is in the game we are dealing with. It is not a matter of mystery but a matter of necessity that we figure it out. We are running with Boba as Mandalore the Ressurector instead of it being another of the clones. Many of the children of the clones who retired as well as others have come to the new Mandalorian Empire. We were figuring things out because a resurgence of Mandalorian culture is a central aspect to the current timeline of our game.

But, we are figuring it out for our own canon (for us our timeline is canon more than the EU standard canon ever could be). And all is well. In fact, soon, I should have a nice avatar of Lizanthrin in the suit of Mando she has acquired, in the pic her helm will be off and held in her arm against her side.

Alexis
*smiles*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: