The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starting off Characters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Starting off Characters Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:25 pm    Post subject: Starting off Characters Reply with quote

I was just wondering if you GMs out there had a basic rule for when your players start new characters, do you go with the 7 skill dice, and 5 cp? or do you give them more... or less?

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12D stats, and7D skills, generaly speaking.

Though sometimes I slide them a few more.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Brandon
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Initially I stick with the 7D/5cp rule, but I encourage players to go into detail about their character's history and back story, and if they come up with something interesting that translates into some skill use, I'll throw them a +1 or +2 to get the skill out there. I try not to go overboard though, each character probably has only one "extra" granted.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 3 games that i've started recently... (started new ones because of some of my players not showing... and I don't want them to fall too much behind...)
the first was a SpecForce Urban warfare game where each character started out with 14 or 15D for skills, and 10 cp
the next was a vetran bounty hunter game, where the characters got 20D and 20cp...
and my most recent is a jedi game, where they get 10D for skills, and 15cp

I haven't ever really started with the 7D, 5cp as a player, or a GM...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought our MOG made us start with 7/5 for one of the games that we probably don't play anymore...like the smuggler game or didn't you make us start the gangster game at base.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, gangster you guys started slightly above, and we got 10 for the smuggler

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our group almost always used the standard 7/5 rule. I can only think of one time when the GM gave us more.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the "7/5" rule mean 7D stats and 5D skills?

Because if thats the case that seems a bit rough.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no... 7/5 rule means they get their standard player character race's attributes (which is 6 higher than average) with 7D skill dice and 5 character points

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, in that case I pretty much adhear to that.
roguesquad
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have stuck to the basic rules on starting with 7/5. But here's a question along same lines. What do you do for starting characters who have a basic of 11 Dice, (plus the six), and you have other characters with start of 13 Dice(plus the six) Does that seem unbalanced, or an unfair advantage? It shouldn't affect roleplaying, but it could affect combat.
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems those species that get more than the standard 12 attribute dice are the "warriror races", like the Coynites and the Noghri (16D instead of the normal 12D???). I'm not a big fan of species that get more attribute dice, because it makes them more powerful than other characters.

Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never liked the Noghri in the first place so restricting them comes pretty easy.

I just don't like he idea of "warrior species", it's intrinsically unbalanced.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm, I've played both sides of the coin and i really don't see much of a difference from a role-playing perspective Smile
but roll-wise, yeah, the species that average higher than 12D usually do have an advantage when it comes to combat and stuff... I personally don't have anything against the noghri... i only restrict my players from playing them because i don't think they could do the role well enough Smile that's the only reason i restrict them...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Loc Taal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. If a player wants to play one of these species, then I think they should have to play them how they're described in the book. There are usually "restrictions" that offset the higher attributes (code of honor, dedication to their homeworld/species, etc). There shouldn't be many "rogue" members of these species wandering the galaxy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: