The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starting off Characters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Starting off Characters Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked the idea of having the PCs play highly skilled normal humans, so I tend to go with the given number of species attribute dice without the 6D bonus, but then give the players more starting skill dice (12D-15D with bonus dice available for good character concepts, writeups, or anything interesting). In order to give the players some flexibility in regard to their stats, I'll let them ignore the species minimums. It makes improving attributes a lot cheaper, which is good since I guess I'm pretty stingy with CPs (usually 2-7 per mission). With the extra skill dice and the limit of 2D into a starting skill, I see characters that have a much wider variety of skills than I saw with the normal 7D skill dice, and a tendency for people to write more on the character background. I guess when you have the skill dice to justify it, it's easier to think of your character as experienced rather than just staritng out in the galaxy.
Trusty
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sabre wrote:
(usually 2-7 per mission)

A mission or a session? How long and how often do you game? How do your characters get anywhere?
Sabre
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually mission and session are interchangeable for me. I write in stopping points based on how much time I think I'll have with that particular group, at which point CPs are given out. So there have been times when several sessions go by and no CPs are given out until the last one (these are rare and always involve some sort of unaccountable interruption and I usually give out more) and there have been times when the group will be focused, or just feel like staying late and we end up doing two missions in a session.

Although I have no group going at the moment, when I do have a group I try to arrange to meet once a week at a regular time. Most characters don't go beyond 7D in any skill, or if they do they specialize, so they can raise something at least once per session plus setting a couple aside to save bad rolls, and usually have enough left over to save for something larger like an attribute increase down the line. Like I said, the attribute levels are 'normal' for the species, and usually run 1D-3D.
Jedi Knight Jael Weiss
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When they are tring to buy skills, specializations, increase attributes, etc.. it takes more than 7 or 8 points at the end of an adventure to get any use out of the stuff WEG has came up with to use in the game. I think they got the character point thing wrong in their adventure modules, because at no more than ten per game, it is hard to get the characters anywhere. And since I have forced them to use a lot of skills other than combat/space skills, they know to increase those.

So I think it is fair.

The most important thing is to make sure you remain consistent with the CP (I still want to call those things "skill points" so I apologize if I let that slip sometimes) you hand out in each adventure.

I like the idea that WEG had when it came to awards vs. advancement. The more skilled you are, the harder it should be to get better. So when I hand out 15-20 points each game (and no more than that), I know that the group will get better but in their top skills it will be more slowly. Sure, they may have 7D, even 8D, in blaster or space transports, but getting to 10D will be awfully difficult!

It does no good, IMO, if you start your early adventures handing out 10 points, and then later bumping it up to 15, then 20, then 30, etc. It is just too D&Dish, and I don't want to mix WOTC with WEG!!!

Jael...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I like giving out 5-8 for home games, with the occasional bonus here and there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: