The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Martial Arts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Martial Arts Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:
You get a bonus when describing something that might be construed as “martial art-ish?”

I guess... i suppose you got a +1D for hand to hand attacks, and some interesting character background...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats sounds cheese.
I much prefer the optional rules from that book you have.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, so do I... but there was a time long ago when even I didn't know about them Razz

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s why we never bothered with the specializations for brawling…until you came along with those uber-cool new bits. Now there is actually a reason to take the specialization.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:
That’s why we never bothered with the specializations for brawling…until you came along with those uber-cool new bits. Now there is actually a reason to take the specialization.

Glad my post could help you out Wink Razz

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough* no point to a specialization that pertains to everything? specialization cost half the CPS. martial arts requires years of dedication to master not half the effort. it was far to easy to raise as a specialization. you could decimate with martial arts as a specialization esp if your a race that has claws or teeth to narh with. it should be more difficult to raise not easier. i like the moves list and i'll let my players learn those like a specialization for a specific move. but i really think Martial arts should be an advanced skill. plus that way it also requires a teacher.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that still doesn't change the fact that it's still a specialized field of brawling... a lot of skills in a character's selection reflect many years of study and use, but not all of them are advanced skills. And, normally, even for the specialization, if you don't already know it during character creation, then I do make my players find a master, but those rules were made to reflect the disciplined hand to hand fighting that Rebel SpecForce is given... so that a stealthy SpecForce Infiltrator can kill a man swiftly and silently with his bare hands, or a Urban Combat trooper can defend himself when it comes to knuckle and flesh... And most special forces troops even on earth today are not trained over the course of 5 or 10 years in hand to hand combat, they're trained to be as deadly as they are in very short period of time in comparison to someone who learns in a temple, the difference is that they use it as a tool, the others have it as a way of life...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and during that training time there not doing anything else.. which says to me again advanced skill much like an attribute there only working on this skill its there focus from dawn to dusk for those 8 weeks or more. we can debate about this all day....
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
specialization cost half the CPS. martial arts requires years of dedication to master not half the effort.

CPs don't necessarily represent the effort put into learning something... the reason specializations cost less is because you're focusing on a very specific style of, for instance, fighting. With the brawling skill you can do any kind of fighting you describe during battle, it's very broad and can pretain to multiple fighting styles...if you specialize in something like martial arts, it is one style of fighting not multiple... a better example would be melee combat, if you just raise your melee combat skill then you are raising your proficiency with every type of melee weapon that exists...if you specialize in a specific type of melee weapon then it is easier to learn how to use just one or one type of weapon. 8)
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the way WEG did these rules for Martial Arts makes anyone who knows the skill way too powerful.

Advantages:
1) It's a specialization, so it only costs 1/2 the cp to advance (allowing characters to become more powerful more quickly).
2) You can use brawling: martial arts for both attack and parry. This makes it even cheaper (in terms of cp) to boost because you only need to boost one skill, rather than both brawling and brawling parry. This effectively reduces the number of cp to 1/4 the normal amount to boost your hand-to-hand combat skill!
3) You do more damage when you attack someone.
4) You can do special moves that have added damage and special attacks.

Disadvantages:
1) Um... none that I can think of... Confused

The trade-off with specializations was always that they cost fewer cp to boost, but they only applied to a very limited subset of the skill, thereby limiting it's usefulness. If you specialize in blaster: blaster pistol it will cost you fewer cp to boost that skill, but it won't help you fire a blaster rifle or hold-out blaster whatsoever. This specialization doesn't have that trade-off. I don't know why anyone would not take this specialization.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my group and I where tossing the idea around that Martial arts should be an advanced skill.

We figured that the PC would need a Brawling of between 3D to 5D to qualify; this would represent knowledge in the “basics” before moving on to good stuff. Using special manoeuvres would be limited to the PC’s Martial Arts skill (with the exception of the standard punching and kicking). But PC’s get special manoeuvres every D irregardless of the D at character creation, a D gets you a goodie.

We still have not decided if we will apply it or not.
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, what do you think about people that learn martial arts post-character creation and spend time training there skill from base str. and not starting with any special attacks? I think learning it post creation is ok because it shows that you started off one way and want to take extra time to learn something new.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just figured that if the PC is going to spend the points on the skill (which is a lot more costly if it is used as an advanced skill) they shouldn’t get penalized for have a half way decent skill by not getting normal amout of manoeuvres.
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I think I'm just overlooking something, but how do you get an advanced skill at creation?
Love is still the answer take my hand
The vision fades a voice I hear
Listen to the madman!'
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know…just spend the pip’s till you have your requirements and then spend away on the Advanced Skill.
But perhaps it’s not allowed, its just something my group does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: