The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Martial Arts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Martial Arts Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragnar's right, if you learn a specialization after character creation then you start it out at the +1 above your base attribute, it's just like han solo and his blaster:blaster rifle skill which is at what? 5D+1 or something and he's got his blaster skill at 10D? same circumstances...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you boost a skill and then specialize in it, both at character creation, you get the specialization at 1D higher than the boosted skill value, not the base attribute.

Example:
- Dexterity 4D
- spend 1D of starting skill dice to boost Blaster to 5D
- specialize in Blaster: Blaster pistol and you get the skill at 6D, not 5D

This makes it seem like a specialization would start 1D higher than the base skill, not the base attribute. If specializations do start 1D higher than the base attribute, why wouldn't this also be the case during character creation? It seems inconsistent for the specialization to start 1D higher than the base skill during character creation, but 1D higher than the base attribute after character creation. If you specialize in a skill after character creation (say Blaster pistol), do you suddenly forget everything you've learned about blasters in general? If you're a crack shot with all blasters, why would you suddenly become a terrible shot with blaster pistols? That doesn't make any sense. Has anyone seen a rule specifically for specializing in a skill after character creation anywhere in the books? If so, can you give a page number? I looked briefly, but the part I found only talked about specializations during character creation.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't necessarily agree with the rule, but that is the one our group plays by...also if you are already highly skilled in blasters, the rule is reason enough to NOT specialize, why learn a new skill that is more limited when you already have say 7D+ in your blaster skill.
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because it cost half the character points to use the only gun you use anyways...
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but my point is that it is STUPID to start from scratch if your blaster or other skill is high just because you want to specialize...I would know because i've made the mistake of doing so before...in the long run, if your blaster is at 6D or higher you would be better of NOT specializing.
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragnar is exactly right. If you use the rule that specializations start at the base attribute, it doesn't pay to specialize once your base skill has been boosted much at all.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see...

AT character creation, if you ditch 1D of the seven you can pick 3 specializations. So if you put 2D into blaster, your blaster: heavy blaster pistol skill would be 3D higher than the base dexterity. This is only at character creation of course. After character creation, say like Han, you choose to specialize in blaster rifles, you would purchase it as if it were a new skill, since it is, so it would end up as +1 above base dexterity.

This is just a recap of the character creation rules.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i quote star wars second ed page 10

Skills Specialization:

for example, Tirog decides to specialize in blaster pistol a specialization of blaster, the character receives three specializations at 1d higher than the basic skill upon which the specialization is based.

for example Greg has already put 1d into tirog's blaster skill making 5d, and wants to specialize in blaster pistols, on one of the blank lines below his Dexterity skill he writes "(s) blaster pistol" tirog now has blaster pistols at 6d Whenever Tirog uses his blaster pistol he rolls 6d any other blasters he rolls 5d (he has a dexterity of 4d)

unless you guys use some freaky R and E rule for specializations i don't know about this is the rule i use...
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, it's not some freaky rule... It is THE RULE for WEG 2nd R&E Star Wars, and it is almost the exactly the same only better than the older rules... Evil or Very Mad
zarkempt
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then post the rule so we can see it.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hang on, i'm finishing up my rough draft of this rule i'm making up for specializatioins, then i'll post it as official stuff...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...to all those who think we are making this up, the rule has been previously posted. Mad
zarkempt
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where?
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once again i say: we are not using R & E rules because i don't have them all except what are posted in one of the adventure journals the only one we use is for scale adjustments... so were both right notice i said the book and page i got it from anyways im done arguing about it. since people aren't reading what is posted.
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martial Arts an Advanced Skill?

C'mon now... Medicine, Armor Engineering, Droid Engineering... okay, Advanced skills, but Mar Arts?

If Daniel'san can whoop it up in a few months, then a Spec Force trooper can headbutt a stormie (I don't care how many character points the Karate Kid had saved up moving from the East coast...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: