The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Scrolls
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samp
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Scrolls Reply with quote

This is a idea that I thought would be interesting. Its a bit hard to explain, so ill try my best.

The basic idea is to provide a item that can be used to teach two different skills, in this case Scholar: Jedi Lore and Sense.

Mainly this idea is because right now the players will not be able to hunt down a master to train them, so I need something they can work on themselves.

The players find a book/scroll called "The Inner Eye" off a Sith/dark jedi they kill.

At first it reads like a VCR manual written in Squib. Some of it is understandable, and they can use it like a trainer for up to 4D in Jedi lore. Each time they try to read it (say once a game day/week) they roll Jedi lore.

For different #'s they can use the scroll for different things.

Say they get a 9+ for Jedi Lore, they can use it as a trainer for the first dice in Sense, and detect life (or whatever the first sense skill it).

If they roll a 12+ they can use it to learn more sense skills and up to 2D in Sense itself.

At 15+ they can use it to learn up to 3D sense and some more sense skills

Another idea is that if the players try to use CP to boost there Jedi Lore roll they will have more "dark side" temptations. I was also thinking of giving them a DSP outright if they try to use a force point to boost their roll, but that probably wouldn't be a problem.

So, any suggestions? Do you think its a good idea?
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about holocrons? The Sith and Jedi both had their own versions of them. Or is your setting some time before holocrons would have been made?
Samp
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its some time after the battle of Endor. I might change it to a holocron now that I think about it. That way I could make it Sith, but not have it come right out as being evil.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but don't forget that the holocron will always try to tempt the user to push for more and more power. Holocrons absorb a bit of the essence of the creator, so it will try to turn any Jedi that uses it.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, turned by a piece of machinery!

Classic

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, possibly, having an entire Sith Soul stuck in it for the past few millenia, just waiting for a willing mind to let it out once more to RULE THE GALAXY!
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Or, possibly, having an entire Sith Soul stuck in it for the past few millenia, just waiting for a willing mind to let it out once more to RULE THE GALAXY!

Yeah, what he said!

Basically, as a GM, have fun with it. Your players may decide to just destroy it instead of learning anything from it. And if they do, that's where the real fun can begin!
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Scrolls Reply with quote

Samp wrote:

Say they get a 9+ for Jedi Lore, they can use it as a trainer for the first dice in Sense, and detect life (or whatever the first sense skill it).

If they roll a 12+ they can use it to learn more sense skills and up to 2D in Sense itself.

Another idea is that if the players try to use CP to boost there Jedi Lore roll they will have more "dark side" temptations.

That's a great mechanic. I did something similar for one of my campaigns, but I actually think that this mechanic is much better. I would use this as opposed to a holocron. Holocrons are supposed to be really rare, but having a training manual is something much more believable, though not as effective a device.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting idea... but this does start to sound like D&D with spell scrolls.

Part of learning about the force was having a teacher who could tailer the instruction to you. Its hard to read about something on a paper, and then replicate it. That is why the holocron is an advanced tech which can actually TEACH someone Smile Holocron's have been around for a long time, so you can use them in any era.

Not sure, I know holocrons are supposed to be rare, but having scrolls for learning off of takes the mysticism out of it for me. I think I would prefer to have more holocrons in the gal, then having some force scrolls...

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Samp
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
Hmm, interesting idea... but this does start to sound like D&D with spell scrolls.

Part of learning about the force was having a teacher who could tailer the instruction to you. Its hard to read about something on a paper, and then replicate it. That is why the holocron is an advanced tech which can actually TEACH someone Smile Holocron's have been around for a long time, so you can use them in any era.

Not sure, I know holocrons are supposed to be rare, but having scrolls for learning off of takes the mysticism out of it for me. I think I would prefer to have more holocrons in the gal, then having some force scrolls...

Oh, I agree, and if the situation the players were in was different I would use a NPC trainer. One other reason for trying to use Jedi Lore is that I want to make more use of the skill later on, and this gives them a crash course, while also providing them with some force stuff.

They are also due for a bit of a reward, and the mission they would get it from would wrap up one of the plot points involving the sith, so its a win win win (wrap up a plot, get players force skills, teach em jedi lore)

On the topic of holocrons, are they kind of like holographic teachers? I do not know much about them to be honest. Do they react to the person who uses them? Sort of like the holograms from star trek where they are kind of like people, but less developed (and probably use a lot of canned answers)?
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samp wrote:
vong wrote:

Oh, I agree, and if the situation the players were in was different I would use a NPC trainer. One other reason for trying to use Jedi Lore is that I want to make more use of the skill later on, and this gives them a crash course, while also providing them with some force stuff.

They are also due for a bit of a reward, and the mission they would get it from would wrap up one of the plot points involving the sith, so its a win win win (wrap up a plot, get players force skills, teach em jedi lore)

On the topic of holocrons, are they kind of like holographic teachers? I do not know much about them to be honest. Do they react to the person who uses them? Sort of like the holograms from star trek where they are kind of like people, but less developed (and probably use a lot of canned answers)?

I think they are more advanced then that - as a Holocron will only teach a student what he is ready to learn. I think...

You could have them find a lead for a holocron, that they have to use jedi lore to find.. When the find the holocron then find a clue to something else.

lots of lore to be used Smile

Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samp wrote:

Here's a great bit of info on holocrons: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Holocron

And if you can get yourself a copy of the Tales of the Jedi Companion sourcebook, there's some good stuff in there too.
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Scrolls Reply with quote

Samp wrote:

I also used something similar in a campaign a while ago, and it went over well. Just an opinion, but I'd suggest making the reader learn any powers separate from improving skills (rather than giving the power(s) along with the skill increase), as part of the drawback for not having an actual teacher. It's your game tho.
Lor-Pbk
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a previous campaign I was involved in, we used a similar idea. Instead of granting an instant skill upgrade, we opt'd for a data pad that gave a skill upgrade when used. for instance, this data pad added a 1D+2 bonus to starship repair. the only drawback was it was specific to the model ship being repaired. Think of it like a copy of the owners mannual.

we first recieved one of these data pads during a mission where Bevel Lemisk, ( Yes the engineer behind the deathstar, he was a reoccuring npc for us.) sent us to capture a prototype that we needed a remove carefully from the ship it was installed in. Hence the "Data pad".

After that mission or Engineer/gambler sought out more data pads with other info on them, Like Languages (wookiee), Speeder repair, first aid and navagation charts. They never gave the player a permenant skill Upgrade.

Our GM never let them be much more than a 1D skill Upgrade which limited them a bit. He also made a rule that they were larger than normal data pads, so you could not carry a library of them around all the time. Then there was always those great times when the player forgot to bring a specific pad we needed to save us and . Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: