The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Encumberance rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Encumberance rules Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phaedrus
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:54 pm    Post subject: Encumberance rules Reply with quote

I don't know if I've mentioned this or not, but I'm running my first star wars campaign. Luckly I've got a really experienced group that I play with. This can be both a blessing and a curse Twisted Evil

I've recently come across a problem with the rules, and i was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction. It all started when one of the SpecOps characters decided to carry two sniper rifles with him on planet. The planet was a big game hunting planet so they didn't have a problem with it, but I just couldn't help thinking that with two HUGE rifles, armor, pistols, plus all the other stuff characters carry shouldn't they be slowed down a bit? I started looking through the rule book but couldn't find anything.

So I guess my question is, how do you guys handle encumberance in your games? Do you base it off of the strength die? Do you estimate the weight of euipment? How do you handle character who think they should be able to carry as much stuff as they want?

~ phaedrus
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they don't really have anything official for how much a character can carry at any particular time. but... what I would do is assign each equipment an approximate weight in kg (because they don't have equipment weight), and then have the character roll his strength or lifting to see if he can carry everything that's there if he's overdoing it, like it seems that the character you mentioned is doing. If he fails, subtract from his move, dexterity, and any other skills that would be affected by someone having too much stuff packed on.

However, there is something in Rules of Engagement on carrying capacity and such... I'll look it up later and post it later tonight... but this i think is what they suggested in RoE. If your character is playing a SpaceOps trooper, then he's probably got the specforce handbook, look through in the Equipment section, and see what they say.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall any official rules, but here is what I would suggest:

Make them roll Stamina rolls (how long can they carry the "beyond normal weight"). Over time, the Stamina rolls need to beat a higher and higher difficulty. And if they get into a combat round or any other physical feats that requires a dice roll, make it either:

A) more difficult (based on the prevous Stamina rolls),

B) subtract dice following the normal multiple action penalties (again, based on their previous Stamina rolls), or

C) both. Twisted Evil
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm I hadn't even considered not using stamina rolld for the weight carried but there is stull a limit to how much equipment you can hold.

Sure a wookie can carry a speeder bike but where does he put it... It won't fit inm his backpack so both his arms are full of speeder bike
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Page 38 of Rules of Engagement: The Rebel SpecForce Handbook Reply with quote

Optional Rule: Encumbrance

Star Wars is not ordinarily concerned with the concept of encumbrance, but with SpecTroopers entering the field with as much firepower as they can possibly get away with, it's good to have an idea of what a reasonable amount of equipment is. The following are methods that can be used to determine what a character can or can't carry in the field.

Characters that attempt to carry too many items are subject to the fatigue rules (specifically, the effects of arduous terrain) on page 53. *which i will also post*
The gamemaster has final discretion on what a character can reasonably be expected to carry.

Method 1: The characters can carry the items listed below with no penalty. They can also carry one addition item per die of Strength (excluding "pips"). For example, a character with Strength of 3D+2 can carry three additional items.
Almost any trooper can be reasonably expected to wear or carry the following items:
- Fatigues
- Boots
- Partial Armor (blast vest or other such minor combat armor)
- Helmet
- Main Weapon (probably a rifle)
- Three Grenades
- Three Days' Rations
- Roughly a half-dozen other small objects (power tools, spare blaster power packs, a secondary weapon: pistol, knife, etc...)

Note: Troopers are also likely to carry a great deal more than this in the unit's vehicle or on a pack animal. In addition, each trooper has a specific role within the squad: communications, heavy weapons, medic, and so on. Specialized items such as communications gear, an infantry support weapon, medical kits, and other such equipment should also be carried by the appropriate squad member with no penalty.

Method 2: A character can carry one medium-sized object for every "pip" of Strength that he or she possesses. Remember that 1D equals 3 "pips." For example, a character with a Strength of 3D+2 can carry 11 medium-sized objects: 3 "pips" per die multiplied by 3 dice equals 9; the additions "+2" in the die code brings the total to 11.

Medium-sized items include (in addition to the above list)*:
- Backpack
- Directional Transponder/automap
- Explosives
- Portable computer
- Comset (communications pack)
- E-web power generator
- E-web blaster
- Scanner
- Medical backpack

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cool option. I was thinking of it when reading this thread. I think this will work for really strict MOGs. I think it really works in survival situations, like SpecForce.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really needed to resort to this rule... most of my players were pretty cool with not wanting to carry too much. And I didn't really give them too much of an option of loading themselves up with way too much equipment than they needed.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Phaedrus
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the rule Crell... I'll have to start using that one. I think that the Dex penalty more then anything will start making my PC's be concerned with what they're carrying. I find that encumberance is a very important part of any game, it helps keep my players in check. Cause if I let them, they'll carry everything on their backs and not think twice about it! Shocked

Hopefully this will keep the PC's from trying to lug a medium repeating weapon around everywhere they go Smile

~ phaedrus
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, glad I could help you out Smile

Obi-Wan Kenobi
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most gms i have seen, who enforce encumberance, do it like this...

1 weapon, 1 suit of armor, a belt with 2 grenades, holster, knife sheath, and pair of med packs is a 'standard' wear. For each full D you had, you can add 2 items of 'medium size' which would be like another rifle, backpack etc. For each pip you could carry a small item as well... So someone who had 2d+2 could carry 2 medium and 2 small items extra.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

1 weapon, 1 suit of armor, a belt with 2 grenades, holster, knife sheath, and pair of med packs is a 'standard' wear. For each full D you had, you can add 2 items of 'medium size' which would be like another rifle, backpack etc. For each pip you could carry a small item as well... So someone who had 2d+2 could carry 2 medium and 2 small items extra.

This is, almost word for word, what is presented as one of several methods of handling encumbrance from Rules Of Engagement - The Rebel Specforce Handbook
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn.... You found out my secret! Laughing
Lord Aramus
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do this a bit differently when I actually decide to get picky about it,

I assign difficulty values to the items they carry, combine them together, and make that the target number for success on a stamina check which I perform one each character once per day.

small Items add 1 or less to the difficulty, bulky items add 5 (regardless of weight) and armor adds 5 and heavy weapons add 5 Razz

makes the players think a little Very Happy
Argamoth
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a weight limit would be needed most of the time, but more of a measure of space. How much can you carry in your pockets, backpack, and hands, untill there isn't any more room?
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Darn.... You found out my secret! Laughing

Yup, that book is absolutely essential for so many of the situations I deal with. That and I am currently involved in a house project for an imperial version of the book, so many of the rules are fresh in my mind right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: