The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Pirate Code and some other things
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> The Pirate Code and some other things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KierlanVass
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: The Pirate Code and some other things Reply with quote

So I have been watching a wee bit too much of the old swashbuckling recently; I have some pirate ideas and a bit of a code / charter for pirate crews to consider. I don't think that there is an overriding code that governs all pirates... although it would be fun. Anyhoo!

Sample Pirate Code
i. Every pirate shall agree to obey the commands of the Captain upon signing onto the crew. The Captain shall have two shares in all confiscated money and prizes; the senior crew shall one and a half parts of the share.

ii. Any crewman found not keeping his arms clean, fit for an engagement shall be cut off from his Share, and suffer such other Punishment as the Captain and the crew shall think fit. Likewise any crewman not able to perform his/her duties shall suffer a similar fate.

iii. He / She that shall be found guilty of cowardice in the time of engagements, shall suffer what Punishment the Captain and the Majority of the crew shall think fit.

iv. Any crewmember suffering permanent and disabling injuries in the line of combat shall be issued an appropriate sum in compensation and released from service.

v. No crewmember shall raise a weapon to a fellow without going through proper procedures. Failure to do so will result in serious penalties.

It also occurred to me that pirate crews may be lacking boarding transportation. Elizabeth Moon presents an interesting image in her book Command Decision of incoming boarders coming up to the hull in spacesuits and cutting out chunks of the hull as a method of boarding before wading through and clearing each deck.

I recently had a little Pirates of the Caribbean session (which has sparked some of this) in which pirates took to ship to ship boarding by vining from one ship to another. Might be interesting to see boarders flying between airlocks of opposing ships, some tussling in the middle, others falling into deep space and the lucky few making it to the other side.

So here is a house rule for another item, a piece of tech really. Call it a personal grappling gun. A boarder leaps from his own ship and flies through space towards the enemy ship. At a preset range he pulls out his grappling gun and uses it to attach a line to the enemy ship then pulls himself towards the target. Once there he can rappel or group up with other boarders to get to a weak spot, torch through and start taking over the ship.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, there exists a Pirate Code in SW canon published in one of the Star Wars Adventure Journals. I don't have it on hand to reproduce, but here's the issue on Wookieepedia.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found this along my travels through the net. a sample of actual ship's articles. this is the pirates code, the ships articles, and each ship had a different set.

http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/pirates/articles_new.html
KierlanVass
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that... I based the articles above on some pirate code from two 17th Century Pirates that is similar.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: