The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Campaign outline: The New Separatists
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Campaign outline: The New Separatists Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kemper Boyd
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
One thing I dont really get is how this Klinger can be fleet admiral at 35 and yet not be that remarkable when it comes to fleet tactics.

I've explained this by having him come from a prestigious naval family and him being a very competent administrator. At tactics, he is good but not some Thrawn-type genius. Of course the expansion of the Imperial Navy meant that promotions can be very easy to come by at times.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
I dont think my campaign will progress much further than Hoth in the timeline.

One thing I dont really get is how this Klinger can be fleet admiral at 35 and yet not be that remarkable when it comes to fleet tactics.

Actually, one wouldn't have to be remarkable at fleet tactics. Take Piett, as of the Battle of Hoth he had tactics: fleet at only 4D. A year later he'd only increased to 4D+1. 4D is profesional level of training for a human, nothing remarkable about it. By contrast Ozzel had tactics: fleet at 6D, that means he's the best trained in fleet tactics out of 100,000 individuals. Granted Piett basically recieved a battlefield commission and wasn't actually fully prepared for his new position. However, he was actually superior to Admiral Motti when it came to capital ship tactics, he had 6D in tactics: capital ship as of the Battle of Hoth and 6D+1 as of the Battle of Endor vs Motti's 0D (Motti didn't have the specialization and didn't have the base skill by itself)

Wanted Poster

Last edited by Hellcat on Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Kemper Boyd
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
I think Ill use some ideas but from an Alliance (player) perspective. The players may cross path with the CIW and try to recruit them into the rebellion. When that doesnt work then perhaps a limited cooperation negotiated instead.

Something you might able to work into your campaign is the CIW selling their unique weapons systems to the Alliance. Since the CIW fleet isn't during the OT able to stand up to actual combat formations of the Imperial Fleet (most of the time), they develop a weapon to dissuade Imperial pursuit.

It's called the "Destroyer Knocker" informally, and is in essence a ten-meter long torpedo carrying a 150-kilogram baradium charge. It's too big to use in conventional missile systems, so it needs a special hull-mounted clamp system for carrying. This also makes it a very risky weapon to field, since a stray laser might set it off. What makes it worthwhile is that the hull of it is mostly plasteel which equals to it being hard to detect with sensors.

It has a large ion engine but is designed to be fired by a burst of pressurised gas. Essentially, it heads out a few kilometers and then seeks out with passive scanning the largest magnetic object in front of it. When it comes close to its target, the ion engine fires up. It's capable of knocking out anything up to a frigate and will seriously damage even a cruiser. However, the downside is that it's volatile enough to not be carried or fielded in quantity and can only be used by ships outfitted with a custom carry clamp and gas-firing system.
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure the alliance would have access to that much baradium. Still if you wanted a good guidline as to the "Destroyer Knocker" stats in d6 you could try the devestator missile from the kathol outback book.
Kemper Boyd
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lostboy wrote:
I'm not sure the alliance would have access to that much baradium. Still if you wanted a good guidline as to the "Destroyer Knocker" stats in d6 you could try the devestator missile from the kathol outback book.

The Alliance might not have it, but CIW has, like mentioned earlier, an economic network which is capable of acquiring strategic materials. I'd say that the most likely way for the CIW to do a bargain would turn over a number of the missiles and the technical data for them.

Thanks for the Kathol Outback tip, though I use ORE instead of D6, but the stats are converted easily enough.
Kemper Boyd
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some extra time and decided to write down a few things that other people maybe can use in their own campaigns if they want to include the CIW.

The uniforms that CIW fleet personnel use are straight out of the Battlestar Galactica remake (I'm a big Galactica fan), with the exception that some Intelligence officers use Imperial-styled uniforms, but with rank insignia on the collar of the uniform and an badge on the left arm denoting that they are Intelligence.

Since the CIW is not racist like the Empire, something like half of ship's crews tend to be non-human. Twi'leks, Sullustans and Chev are well-represented on CIW Fleet ships. Regarding human CIW personnel, a significant Alderaanian minority is highly visible. These are mostly former Imperials who dislike the Rebellion for various reasons but now hate the Empire due to the Empire destroying Alderaan.

Compared to the Empire, the CIW does not put as much thought into appearance on their ships. Flight decks can be scuffed or dirty but orderly. Also, most CIW capital ships go through a refurbishing where the bridge is replaced by a CIC room well inside the ship. The former bridges are mostly used for maneuvering and docking and are not manned all the time.

Admiral Kiner is a firm believer in the principle of feeding his troops well, so that shows especially on Fleet ships and ground installations. Alliance members, especially those used to operating from Alliance starfighter bases, might be surprised at the quality of the food and drink.

Between the Battle of Yavin and the Battle of Endor, CIW personnel is courteous and professional in the contacts with the Alliance. Saying "Rebel scum" to Alliance personnel would result in the offender being sent to the brig and possibly demoted. The general attitude towards the Alliance is something like "We are not enemies, we have different goals, we do not believe in the same things but we are to a degree fighting together." Prominent Alliance members will be treated like the heroes they are. Especially Wedge Antilles and other Rogue Squadron members are appreciated. Even a completely ordinary Alliance fighter squadron that would for one reason or another land on a CIW ship would be treated to dinner with the commanding officer of the ship. Later on, when the relationship between the New Republic and the CIW cool, New Republic soldiers and officials could still be treated with respect.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting campaign ideas!

Back in 1989 I invented an orginal organization whose purpose was also to overhrow the Emperor in the classic trilogy era. They were lead by an illegitimate son of Palpatine's who had served in the Republic and Imperial Navies but had went AWOL from the Empire to form his own pirate fleet. A short time after the PCs had recruited him and his fleet to join the Rebel Alliance, he left to form his own rebel organization. They were sometimes allies with the Rebel Alliance, but often rivals as they were competitors for the same resources, including personel that left the Alliance to join the alternative rebel group. As the plot developed, the PCs discovered that the pirate prince was actually being manipulated from the shadows by his mother, a former lover of Palpatine and Dark Side Force-user who wanted her son to succeed Palpatine as a puppet leader with her pulling the strings, eventually taking his place and become Empress of the galaxy herself. The PCs eventually defeated her and her son joined the Rebel Alliance for good.

Unrelated to that idea, after Revenge of the Sith I declared that there were several rogue CIS generals and such who didn't recieve the signal to shut down their droid armies and still (independant to each other) fought against the Empire after the main Clone War had ended. These multiple Seperatist units were all believed to have been defeated by one year into the Empire, but Imperial history considered these to be independant brief minor wars each distinct from the main war and each other. So the main War fought in the three years before the formation of the Empire was technically considered "the Great Clone War", and the minor "after-wars" were reason that Obi-Wan Kenobi later referred to "the Clone Wars" as plural when the conflict was always referred to singularly in the prequels. By the time of the classic trilogy, people often just generalized and said "The Clone Wars", even if they were really only referring main war.

I said "believed to have been defeated" above because I thought it would be a cool adventure idea in the classic trilogy era if one long-forgotten Seperatist army was discovered in a system, perhaps due to being abandoned and trapped somewhere without hyperdrive. They still try to fight the "Republic", unaware that the war had ever ended. This adventure or series of adventures may be entitled, "The Last Clone War" or something like that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Kemper Boyd
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Back in 1989 I invented an orginal organization whose purpose was also to overhrow the Emperor in the classic trilogy era. They were lead by an illegitimate son of Palpatine's who had served in the Republic and Imperial Navies but had went AWOL from the Empire to form his own pirate fleet. A short time after the PCs had recruited him and his fleet to join the Rebel Alliance, he left to form his own rebel organization. They were sometimes allies with the Rebel Alliance, but often rivals as they were competitors for the same resources, including personel that left the Alliance to join the alternative rebel group. As the plot developed, the PCs discovered that the pirate prince was actually being manipulated from the shadows by his mother, a former lover of Palpatine and Dark Side Force-user who wanted her son to succeed Palpatine as a puppet leader with her pulling the strings, eventually taking his place and become Empress of the galaxy herself. The PCs eventually defeated her and her son joined the Rebel Alliance for good.

This is a nice idea, I might use it as a sideplot during a period of the campaign which mostly centers around the the Kathol sector and the Kathol Outback. The pirate prince might have suffered a defeat a year or two earlier and is regrouping somewhere near the Kathol Republic, and becomes one of the key players in a CIW effort to take over the Kathol Republic through diplomatic means. Maybe the players could find out about the Dark Side mother and become involved in the bid for power. If they succeed, the Pirate Prince might come over and join the CIW. His mother could as a result try to bring in Moff Sarne to regain control over her son.
Kemper Boyd
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some new notes again, which I have been working on.

By the time that the CIW has been well established as a real government as opposed to a a fleet with a government, most of the day-by-day affairs are handled by the Select Cabinet of the Confederacy. The Select Cabinet is led by the President (Admiral Kiner) and has a various number of different members. The President can at will create new Secretary positions in the Cabinet, but the regular positions include a Secretary of War, State, Industry, Education, the Treasury, Transportation, Commerce and Justice. The secretaries act as leaders of departments in the government, and as advisors on the council. The Cabinet also includes a number of delegates from the Confederate Senate and the Chief of Staff of the President. The Chief of Staff acts as speaker in the absence of the President.

Due to the continued state of war with the Empire, lots of day-to-day affairs are handled by the Defense Council, which includes the Secretary of War, Admiral of the Fleet, General of the Army and the Director of Intelligence as full members. If something is put to a vote, these members have votes, but most of the time, decisions are done on a consensus basis. The Defense Council also has the Inspectors of Starfighter Forces, Special Forces and the Director-General of the Security Bureau as advisory members.

The most shadowy part of the Confederate government resides technically in the Office of the President. Known as the Office of Special Acquisitions, only the top brass of the CIW know what it even does. The OSA was established by Kiner to do three things: manage the financial shadow empire he created, acquire war materiel through front companies and to manage HUMINT resources that are too sensitive to handle through Intelligence. Among the Intelligence resources that are available to Kiner through his OSA is a number of his former colleagues that have not yet thrown in with the CIW. On record, the OSA only has one employee, a Corellian male called Lwenn Spencer. Every other member of the OSA works in Imperial territory or the Corporate Sector and gets paid through front companies that they manage or work in. The OSA has one basic rule for every operation, and it's that whenever an operator completes a mission, they get recalled and are transferred to Intelligence or other military postings, because of the risks they take.

An example of a typical OSA operation might be like this: The Admiral of the Fleet requests the President for a number of new ships. The President puts Lwenn Spencer on the job, and Spencer looks up in his files one of his operatives who has the infrastructure to do it. The operation is moved to Transgalactic Unity Shipments which is based out of Chandrila. Transgalactic Unity is a OSA front, financed through a number of legitimate business dealings and slush funds in the Corporate Sector. The operative in charge arranges for a fake contract to deliver ten Corellian Gunboats, two Bulk Cruisers and 15 Corvettes to a Moff's personal fleet. With this contract, the Corellian Engineering Corporation is willing to sell the ships, since it looks like a government contract coming through a subcontractor. However, once the ships are delivered to Transgalactic Unity, they simply disappear, along with Transgalactic Unity.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kemper Boyd wrote:
Whill wrote:

This is a nice idea, I might use it as a sideplot during a period of the campaign which mostly centers around the the Kathol sector and the Kathol Outback. The pirate prince might have suffered a defeat a year or two earlier and is regrouping somewhere near the Kathol Republic, and becomes one of the key players in a CIW effort to take over the Kathol Republic through diplomatic means. Maybe the players could find out about the Dark Side mother and become involved in the bid for power. If they succeed, the Pirate Prince might come over and join the CIW. His mother could as a result try to bring in Moff Sarne to regain control over her son.

Sounds cool.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I said "believed to have been defeated" above because I thought it would be a cool adventure idea in the classic trilogy era if one long-forgotten Seperatist army was discovered in a system, perhaps due to being abandoned and trapped somewhere without hyperdrive. They still try to fight the "Republic", unaware that the war had ever ended. This adventure or series of adventures may be entitled, "The Last Clone War" or something like that.

I actually have an idea kicking around in my head with a similar approach.

STOP READING NOW 'RANDOM'!! Laughing

A minor CIS fleet is still out there, with the addition of a droid factory ship or two, and some resource gathering ships (I know there are several imerial ones, so why not a CIS version). They are basically travelling from world to world in the outer regions of the galaxy strip mining for resources to build their numbers. Something has happened to the droids (the more advanced) over the years and they are now in charge.
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
A minor CIS fleet is still out there, with the addition of a droid factory ship or two, and some resource gathering ships (I know there are several imerial ones, so why not a CIS version). They are basically travelling from world to world in the outer regions of the galaxy strip mining for resources to build their numbers. Something has happened to the droids (the more advanced) over the years and they are now in charge.

Cool. I like that idea.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Lostboy
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some additional ideas. There is a post by ggmorrodin on a string about what you would do with 100 million credits, that seems relevant.
Kemper Boyd
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I renamed the campaign setting and started a blog about it to make it easier for future players to access stuff their characters should know: http://imperialcenterdoesnothold.wordpress.com/

Enjoy!
Kemper Boyd
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally settled down so I can actually run this campaign.

The first session is tomorrow with a total of six players: the General, the Admiral of the Fleet, the Chief of Staff, the Intelligence Director, the Admiral's X.O. and the commander of the flagship.

First session will include a few small battles (an anti-shipping operation against the Empire and a ground battle against a slaving operation) and some clues to what will happen in the near future: the Empire has a mysterious salvage operation ongoing in the Yavin system and a raided convoy carries strange parts for KDY. Also, lots of politics and negotiations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: