The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Young Jedi Adventure help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Young Jedi Adventure help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Young Jedi Adventure help Reply with quote

I am looking for some ideas on my current adventure I am running as GM. My young jedi character is currently searching for a Jedi Knight in the Dreighton Terminus (thanks to the Chaos Crew).

I am curious as to how best to run the actual training. This is the first time we have had a Jedi character in our many campaigns we have done. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to roleplay the training, or do you simply skip over that, similiar to improving any other skill?
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me rephrase the question:

Do you have any Jedi Training sessions as part of your adventures? (ex. a Dagobah-like scene, lightsaber practice, levitation practice)

Or,

Do you have the players spend the character points and move on?
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that unless the whole group consists of Jedi trainees, the training games drag on for too long. But training can still happen, traveling through hyperspace can get boring and the Jedi can train en route. You can go over the basics of the training and allow character points to be spent. If you do this though, allow the other players to train in skills during hyperspace travels.
PsiberDragon
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We actually ran through a training scenario at one time... It was in an official WEG SW book that I'm not recalling right now.

Basically the lightsaber drill consisted of candles and ball bearings... then filling a bottle with oxygen only... then... *ponders*

let me see if I can find it...
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsiberDragon wrote:
We actually ran through a training scenario at one time... It was in an official WEG SW book that I'm not recalling right now.

Basically the lightsaber drill consisted of candles and ball bearings... then filling a bottle with oxygen only... then... *ponders*

let me see if I can find it...

Chapter 10 of Galaxy Guide 9 - Fragments from the Rim.

My take on Jedi training in classic Star Wars is that it would be almost unheard of to have the sort of "Jedi Retreat" sort of situation that Luke underwent with Yoda. Chances are things would more follow the sort of scenario we see with Luke and Obi-Wan; training occurs "on the fly" in real life (ie. Luke's run down the Death Star trench) with periods of "down time" training (ie. lightsaber and remote training on the Falcon)... Classic Star Wars seems more appropriate to a training under fire deal than dedicated training time.

With that in mind, it's pretty appropriate to conduct training during the adventure as part of the adventure. This lets you explore the Force and the character while moving forward with the plot for the non-Jedi as well. Chances are it will be even more rewarding to explore the Force in a "live" situation than in hypotheticals. Sort of an applied learning, rather than academic. We also see this a lot in Obi-Wan and Qui-Gonn, both in Obi-Wan as student and as teacher to Anakin.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: