The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

a few house rules to add some more fun to your group...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> a few house rules to add some more fun to your group... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: a few house rules to add some more fun to your group... Reply with quote

we have 2 main ways to get other things one is your-
1- "GMfavoratism points" i.e: bribe the gm and give the player stuff (usually broken) works on a you scratch my back and i'll scratch yours. we don't actually keep these talleyed but will joke about them like when the players mishap at a crucial moment i'll look the other way once in a while i usually have a 3rd strike rule where i'll take away a dice the first 2 times but the third time something bad happens. this is only for that session i don't carry them over.

B- "Funny Character Point of the night" usually someone will say or do something histerical in character or not. if i (the GM) start to die laffing i give them a character point for it i only give 1 out a night and it keeps the session light if everyone is trying to be funny. note if you intend to have a serious session either get the point out early or don't do it. but we really like the funny character point of the night stuff and its more than once been the factor that turns the xd+2 into (X+1)D woot. just some fun stuff to toss around with
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 - GM Favortism Points: I've instituted this in my Deadlands games. Seeing as it's even mentioned and authorized officially by that game, I go with it. It's pretty cheap to get Poker Chips out of me for that game.

2: Funny Character Point of the Night: As my GM is a Comedian, and we're all Canucks... Humour is part of life for us up here. (Can I have a Witness, SoF?). Every thing that's "Worthy" in the GMs mind gets an extra Character point at the end of the game... Up to three extra points can be awared for each CHARACTER. And, it is the RARE occasion that we don't get at least one or two!

"And you!!! You didn't do anything in that fight except sit in the Gunnery Turret and pick your nose!!!" *Without hesitation* "Just marking my kills."
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comedy flows as quickly as the beer does up here.

Yup, I usually give pip’s to the players for quite a few things….

1: Being the “go-fer” the guy who “go-fer’s” the lost dice, or “go-fer’s” the soda, generally it’s a nice term for the groups b*#ch who has to run and get things for everyone.

2: Doing something I did not prepare for, and genuinely surprises me as a GM.

3: Solidifying their characters...coming up with written history & bio, pictures, deck plans of their ships, motivation, etc. the more they are willing to invest in their characters, the more I will invest pip’s in their characters.

4: The comedy pips…a standard of course.

5: I hate looking stuff that I forget up, so I usually appoint someone do that for me if I forget. That usually incurs a pip or two.

6: And of course, the exceptional role-playing award, for those players who really give their all to the game and their characters.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dish out character points for comedy, especially if I laugh so much my sides hurt. I also dish out points for really good roleplaying and cinematic moments.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I should get heaps of bonus points I'm the only one in game who came up with a typed background that actually justifies my character and works me into the plot...

However I the main plot device at the moment so I think it's a fair trade.

I'm also the official roller of random events due to the frequency that I roll the funniest possible result at a given time on a random table... Now if only I could translate that to successes for damage in starfighter battles
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like GM favoritizim... because as a GM, i don't like to play favorites. And I don't think players should be able to buy in-game favors out of game... it seems underhanded...

But good humor is always encouraged... I don't like people who make jokes at one of the other player's expense... people get hard feelings and sometimes it can create unessessary friction between players, and can cause drama... I've seen a lot of groups torn apart by too much drama...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GM doesn't often show favortism... I think he hates us all equally.

But, when anoyed (And I mean *ROYALLY* cheesed off!!!), he will come after us.

By that time, however, we all know how angry he is, so we stay far away.

Out of Thermal Detonator blast range is usually good...
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not about favouritism, its about getting rewarded for a job well done.
A character that garners a goodly amount of pips for history etc can just as easily be fried for doing something foolish as one that didn’t do a history.
I believe that player who puts extra time into his character and the game should get a little something extra for their efforts. But other characters can just as easily get those pips for doing the same thing, I just leave the option open, and the players decide for themselves.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not talking about players putting more into their characters... I'm talking about GMs rewarding characters because earlier that week one of the players bought lunch for the GM or something like that... out of game stuff shouldn't effect the game... that's my belief anyway...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the comedy character points... mostly because in just about every game i can stur up something comical and lately i've been getting extra pts. for it... Very Happy
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word. I would be willing to give out extra character points at character creation if the player comes up with a really good story and personality for their character. Heck, I'll give out extra points if they even write anything for their character's backstory! Lately, my players just don't care anymore. Sad

I've recently had some success collaborating with one of my players on a character. It was going to be a GMC at first, but I thought it would make a better PC. We came up with a really cool character. I think if player and MOG spend that much time on a character together, every character would be playable for the PC and tied into the story for the MOG.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we call them gm favoritism points but no one really has any. its the way my characters say there trying to bribe me w/o having to actually say it and they don't ask for stuff like an undefended star destroyer or anything its only used for no esintial stuff like me not raising the price more after a character had a mod done and then deciding he wants the Emblem on it too he forgot to ask for it little stuff that doesn't really matter. none of my players have got anything for buying me dinner one day other than a dinner in return another time.
zarkempt
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: house rules Reply with quote

gm favortism really doesnt get us anything thing per se, it is more of a way to round out the game a bit more sos to speak. Getting the gm a soda and stuff earn you fav pts, there really isnt a way to cash them in. It is more of a you scratch my back i'll scratch yours.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have to say I did have help with the background stuff as I'm the one with a printer so my GM sends all his stuff to me for printing so I read all the player available info about the rebel cell we were going to be connected with and the NPCs we might know as I printed it and then worked a bunch of it into my background.

As an occasional GM I do like it when I don't have to explain how the players know each other and the like it leaves more time to get on with the Role playing.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last gaming session I had the group vote for who they thought was best playing there character, and that person got extra points at the end of the gaming session.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: