The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Quick Question about stranding characters on a planet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Quick Question about stranding characters on a planet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
death_jester
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Quick Question about stranding characters on a planet Reply with quote

Part of a campaign I'm thinking of running is going to be to stand a group of players on a planet for several game sessions. They are going to have to make friends with the locals and assume some leadership roles in order to get out of the situation they are in.

The planet is going to be an old Sith slave world where they bred with the locals but later abandoned due to other concerns. The technology level will be very low, think about stone age, so that they do not have the tools to build the players ships and not convenient outlet for their weapons either. The players are going to get dumped off in a rescue pod so no readily available ships to get them off the planet.

My question is has anyone had any experience with running players that cannot run around the galaxy? Does it kill the flavor of Star Wars if they cannot leave the location? What kinds of consideration should I be thinking about for the game, mechanics wise, I have the story and plot sort of ready but any suggestions are good?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Peace
Jester
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't want to leave them there TOO long. While space travel isn't an absolutely necessary aspect of Star Wars, technology is... pretty much as much so as the Force (which can play a fairly background role in a story, it doesn't actually need to be used outright).

One thing to remember; one planet does not mean one setting. You can run an entire campaign on a single planet and use a multitude of different settings and situations. You're only limiting yourself by your own imagination... and cutting out space settings. You could have ancient ruins, deep forests, jungles, deserts, plains, mountains, etc etc etc depending on where you are planetside, how far your players end up traveling and how you design this planet.

That said, it would be good to reintroduce elements of the greater Galaxy at some later point in the story; perhaps some sort of scouting vessel arrives, or left behind ancient Sith technology (ie. starship) they can manage to salvage and limp back to known space. It may even help the characters (and players) not take galactic tech and the conveniences they offer for granted (which I find many players do).

It's doable, but will require some solid planning on your part. Good luck.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While space travel isn't an absolute necessity of Star Wars, as was mentioned, you don't want to keep them stranded on the planet for too long. One thing you can do that will continue to help with the Star Wars flavor, even with them stuck on a stone age planet, is to give them some of the Star Wars technology to use while on the stone age planet. So while the natives are using slings, spears, maybe bow and arrows, and axes, the PCs would have their blasters and medpacs and glowrods and other fancy Star Wars technology. Sure they don't have a ship, but they should be able to at least have some gear. Even an escape pod would have some emergency survival gear aboard it to help augment what the PCs might have been carrying at the time they needed to use the escape pod.

It could be one of those situations where they start out realizing they're stuck for a bit. Find the natives. Maybe a fight or two to start out until they may be able to communicate with the natives and realize that they're not an enemy, they're just uneducated and scared. Even if the PCs don't become friends with the natives, you could have them stumble across some ruins that might indicate that there once used to be Sith on this planet, many hundreds or thousands of years ago. Throw some more clues and things at them, or (if they become friends with the natives) have the natives show them a "fear" place....a place where the natives don't go because anyone who goes there never comes back. If you can make it tantalizing enough, say their portable scanner is picking up a very faint energy reading from the "fear" place or the see some metal where the stone age people claim to never go. So they investigate, fight their way through either some wild creatures that have taken up home there or still-operating automated defense systems (or even droids), and find a long lost, long forgotten Sith structure that contains a dusty, long neglected but still operational Sith starship. They have to figure out how to get the ship out, as over the years a forest has grown over the launch bay doors and such, but it'll give them something to shoot for.

Eventually you let them get it out, maybe with help of the natives, maybe not...up to you and their decisions, they manage to barely get it powered up, and *shooom!* they're off the planet in a thousand year old craft.

Of course you can throw other plot complications at them depending on what they do. Maybe if they make friends with the natives, just as they're getting ready to leave a ship picks up the emergency distress beacon and comes to check it out. It's a pirate ship, or Imperials, or basically someone that's certainly NOT going to be friendly to the natives. So the PCs then have to decide whether just to take their chance and leave on the Sith ship, or to stay and help the natives to defeat the pirates. Then you could have the Star Wars technology of the PCs, maybe with some ancient Sith weapons thrown in (found in the Sith building), and the stone age technology of the natives, going against the Star Wars technology and meanness of the pirates.

Lots of oppotunity for a lot of different things to do. You could keep them on the planet for longer if they really seem to get into the game and you keep the challenges interesting and fresh, and not have everything figured out by simply shooting their way out of things. Maybe some of the challenges can only be beaten by using some form of stone age technology. If they seem bored pretty quickly because of lack of moving around, then you can speed things up either with the Sith artifacts (ship) being found or some sort of ship arrive to investigate the distress signal from the escape pod. The ship will, of course, have to NOT be friendly, so you can have some blaster fights, throw in some stone age spears and slings to help out (or hinder, depending) and let the PCs try to take the new ship for their own.

Hope this helps with some ideas.
death_jester
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
You won't want to leave them there TOO long. While space travel isn't an absolutely necessary aspect of Star Wars, technology is... pretty much as much so as the Force (which can play a fairly background role in a story, it doesn't actually need to be used outright).

One thing to remember; one planet does not mean one setting. You can run an entire campaign on a single planet and use a multitude of different settings and situations. You're only limiting yourself by your own imagination... and cutting out space settings. You could have ancient ruins, deep forests, jungles, deserts, plains, mountains, etc etc etc depending on where you are planetside, how far your players end up traveling and how you design this planet.

I tend to plan out my games like episodes of a tv show. We play once every two weeks and only one time in December (the even horizon that no games may enter and survive) and that means we play about 23 to 24 times a year. So I'm thinking about 10 or 12 sessions or about 6 months of game time will be spent on the planet. In game time it will cover about 5 years so the players will be out of circulation from the greater galatic community for a while. I do have lots of things planned to happen while they are there mostly dealing with internal politics within tribes and finding out about the ancient dark jedi that use to live on the planet.

This reminds me is there any cannon data (and or non cannon data while we are at it) about the 100 year schizm between the jedi and the dark jedi that lead to the founding of the Sith? Also are there any recoreded instances where those same dark jedi went some place other then Korriban?
I thought why make this a Sith slave planet when I could go off and make up something of my own and avoid all baggage that comes along with using them.

Ankhanu wrote:
That said, it would be good to reintroduce elements of the greater Galaxy at some later point in the story; perhaps some sort of scouting vessel arrives, or left behind ancient Sith technology (ie. starship) they can manage to salvage and limp back to known space. It may even help the characters (and players) not take galactic tech and the conveniences they offer for granted (which I find many players do).

It's doable, but will require some solid planning on your part. Good luck.

I was thinking of having a new group of pirates/slavers show up and the players have to either defend their friends or join with the "bad guys" in order to get off the planet. Either way I'm sure they can get off the planet but the choice is what matters. Giving the players a hard choice like that is fun to watch as a GM and can lead to great concenquences later on. Don't you agree?

I do intend to plan out quite a bit of the game and this part of the story arc is just to intoduce the players and set the stage for the coming years of the campaign. However I don't really do well when I try to plan in a vacum and I need people to bounce ideas off of. [Waves to all the people reading the boards.]

I appreciate your time and look foward to typing at everyone a bit later.
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

death_jester wrote:

I was thinking of having a new group of pirates/slavers show up and the players have to either defend their friends or join with the "bad guys" in order to get off the planet. Either way I'm sure they can get off the planet but the choice is what matters. Giving the players a hard choice like that is fun to watch as a GM and can lead to great concenquences later on. Don't you agree?

But, remember. The players always have more options than you think. Depending on the group structure (No Jedi) they could join with the slavers/pirates, and wait until their ship is in the atmosphere, kill the pirates, take the ship back down and liberate the natives from their existence on the backwater planet. But, while doing so one of the players decides that, "These guys would make great slaves to the Empire (or other big bad organization, Hutts, Black Sun, game specific, whatever) and then sell them out to said organization.

Just thought I'd throw out a possibility you might not have considered.

Also, if there IS a jedi it would be a good time to try and turn him to the darkside, and see how he fairs with the ghosts of old Sith Lords taunting and goading him to anger.
Maybe he could find an old Sith Sword/Lightsaber (Depending on how far along they stayed on the planet) and maybe a Holocron. If he finds a holocron the personalities in it could do what I said earlier trying to trick him to the darkside. If he doesn't fall, he could turn it over to Luke later on, or whoever you would decide would become the new head of the Jedi Order.

Just a few suggestions, I hope that helps.
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
death_jester
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
While space travel isn't an absolute necessity of Star Wars, as was mentioned, you don't want to keep them stranded on the planet for too long. One thing you can do that will continue to help with the Star Wars flavor, even with them stuck on a stone age planet, is to give them some of the Star Wars technology to use while on the stone age planet. So while the natives are using slings, spears, maybe bow and arrows, and axes, the PCs would have their blasters and medpacs and glowrods and other fancy Star Wars technology. Sure they don't have a ship, but they should be able to at least have some gear. Even an escape pod would have some emergency survival gear aboard it to help augment what the PCs might have been carrying at the time they needed to use the escape pod..

I agree that the escape pod should have some basic equipment but I'm sort of stumped as to what? For insence would it have a water collector for dew or a solar powered powerpack to recharge equipment? What would the manufacturer consider a reasonable time period that the user would need to survive? I know it could be a veriable depending on what kind of ship it was jettisioned from. If would help everyone brainstorm with me the ship they are going to be on when they get ejected will be an old republic constiblary ship keeping the peace on the border of the outer rim and the middle rim.

Grimace wrote:
It could be one of those situations where they start out realizing they're stuck for a bit. Find the natives. Maybe a fight or two to start out until they may be able to communicate with the natives and realize that they're not an enemy, they're just uneducated and scared. Even if the PCs don't become friends with the natives, you could have them stumble across some ruins that might indicate that there once used to be Sith on this planet, many hundreds or thousands of years ago. Throw some more clues and things at them, or (if they become friends with the natives) have the natives show them a "fear" place....a place where the natives don't go because anyone who goes there never comes back. If you can make it tantalizing enough, say their portable scanner is picking up a very faint energy reading from the "fear" place or the see some metal where the stone age people claim to never go. So they investigate, fight their way through either some wild creatures that have taken up home there or still-operating automated defense systems (or even droids), and find a long lost, long forgotten Sith structure that contains a dusty, long neglected but still operational Sith starship. They have to figure out how to get the ship out, as over the years a forest has grown over the launch bay doors and such, but it'll give them something to shoot for.

When they land on the planet they will be in an area that the natives use for seasonal hunting but it is not the season they are there. So the players will have a few weeks to set up shop and then the hunters will show up looking to set up camp again. A rival group is trying to expand into this terratory and the players can tip the balance between the two groups. Once again I like to give the players options to make the story interesting.

I wouldn't have a functional or semi-functional ship on the planet just because it would have been 4000 to 5000 years since it was left there. If I go with the escapees from the "Jedi Schizm". The ship thing is just a bit if personal preference on my part because I like to "try" to keep things sort of realistic, or at least as realistic as you can in this kind of game. However there will be a Dark Jedi temple there that will be inhabited by the crossbred decendents of the Dark Jedi and the Natives. Is there any rules for force martial arts out there? I don't think they will have lightsabers but they may have bits of old tech stuff that they don't know how to use and or repair. One of the things I was thinking of including in the "Dark Jedi" Temple is a corrupted Jedi Holocron that can instruct the players in the ways of the Dark Side. They can use it or not as they choose but they will pay the price for that knowledge, as all dark siders should.

Since the natives were slaves of the Dark Jedi their language will be related to basic so that the players will be able to communicate with them after a few suscessful language rolls.

Grimace wrote:
Eventually you let them get it out, maybe with help of the natives, maybe not...up to you and their decisions, they manage to barely get it powered up, and *shooom!* they're off the planet in a thousand year old craft.

Of course you can throw other plot complications at them depending on what they do. Maybe if they make friends with the natives, just as they're getting ready to leave a ship picks up the emergency distress beacon and comes to check it out. It's a pirate ship, or Imperials, or basically someone that's certainly NOT going to be friendly to the natives. So the PCs then have to decide whether just to take their chance and leave on the Sith ship, or to stay and help the natives to defeat the pirates. Then you could have the Star Wars technology of the PCs, maybe with some ancient Sith weapons thrown in (found in the Sith building), and the stone age technology of the natives, going against the Star Wars technology and meanness of the pirates.

I agree with intoducing some badness that will impact the natives of the planet but what if the planet could also impact the greater galaxy too? The teachings of the Dark Jedi could fall into the hands of the wrong people and you could end up with Pirate/Dark Jedis threatening the galaxy. What if the natives were to mind trick the invaders into giving them the technology they need to move off their little planet? I didn't even think of that idea but it is a good one. Thanks

Grimace wrote:
Lots of oppotunity for a lot of different things to do. You could keep them on the planet for longer if they really seem to get into the game and you keep the challenges interesting and fresh, and not have everything figured out by simply shooting their way out of things. Maybe some of the challenges can only be beaten by using some form of stone age technology. If they seem bored pretty quickly because of lack of moving around, then you can speed things up either with the Sith artifacts (ship) being found or some sort of ship arrive to investigate the distress signal from the escape pod. The ship will, of course, have to NOT be friendly, so you can have some blaster fights, throw in some stone age spears and slings to help out (or hinder, depending) and let the PCs try to take the new ship for their own.

Hope this helps with some ideas.

Thanks for taking the time to post this buddy. I do appreciate that you took the time to put some ideas my way. Like I said in the other post I cannot work in a vacum and your post has given me lots to think about.

I try to think out my games before hand so that I have an idea about where the story arc is going before we get started. Ultimately my goal is to have about 5 years or roughly 100 game sessions planned out. All with mini archs like this leading to an overall campaign. Ambitious, yes but I have lots of time before the campaign is going to start so I have lots of time to plan. Twisted Evil I will eventually post my ideas about the overall campaign but I wanted to get some feedback on this section first.

Thanks again for your time buddy.

Peace
Jester
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

death_jester wrote:
Grimace wrote:
While space travel isn't an absolute necessity of Star Wars, as was mentioned, you don't want to keep them stranded on the planet for too long. One thing you can do that will continue to help with the Star Wars flavor, even with them stuck on a stone age planet, is to give them some of the Star Wars technology to use while on the stone age planet. So while the natives are using slings, spears, maybe bow and arrows, and axes, the PCs would have their blasters and medpacs and glowrods and other fancy Star Wars technology. Sure they don't have a ship, but they should be able to at least have some gear. Even an escape pod would have some emergency survival gear aboard it to help augment what the PCs might have been carrying at the time they needed to use the escape pod..

I agree that the escape pod should have some basic equipment but I'm sort of stumped as to what? For insence would it have a water collector for dew or a solar powered powerpack to recharge equipment? What would the manufacturer consider a reasonable time period that the user would need to survive? I know it could be a veriable depending on what kind of ship it was jettisioned from. If would help everyone brainstorm with me the ship they are going to be on when they get ejected will be an old republic constiblary ship keeping the peace on the border of the outer rim and the middle rim.

A standard survival kit, in real life (often) contains:
Water purification tablets
Matches
Safety pins
Needle and thread
A candle
A writing impliment
Something to write on
Tinfoil or mirrors
A knife
A multi-tool (Swiss army knife leatherman etc...)
A whistle
A flaslight (often LED and powered my motion)
Fishing line/hooks
A compass
Survival blanket
Anti-diarrhea pills
Rope/twine
Plastic bags (sealable/water tight) - We were actually encouraged to use plain (IE unflavoured, non-spermicidal) condoms as these could expand to hold a fair bit of water and were incredibly compact when not in use.

The more commercial kits may also contain:
Flares
Some sort of radio

Basically the survival kit has two functions. Making it easier to get found and helping you live and stay safe until you are found. It should be pretty easy to translate most of the items into some sort of Star Wars equivilent.

For instance a condensing canteen would be a good item to put in a Star Wars survival kit

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

Last edited by Esoomian on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthMortis wrote:
and maybe a Holocron. If he finds a holocron the personalities in it could do what I said earlier trying to trick him to the darkside. If he doesn't fall, he could turn it over to Luke later on, or whoever you would decide would become the new head of the Jedi Order.

death_jester wrote:
is a corrupted Jedi Holocron that can instruct the players in the ways of the Dark Side. They can use it or not as they choose but they will pay the price for that knowledge, as all dark siders should.

I see we think alike =)
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: