The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Grand Theft Starship?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Grand Theft Starship? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shnar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Grand Theft Starship? Reply with quote

Just started a new campaign with some players, and the first adventure has them buying a cheap, used, breaking-down/fixer-upper ship. I was planning on making this ship be theirs for some time, and using it for some potential future adventure hooks (breakdowns are always good, old secrets are good too, etc). One of the comments from the players was, "We gotta hurry and steal ourselves a better ship."

I should have expected that sentiment from the players. Rarely in RPGs do PCs actually have a conscious Razz

But, I was wondering, what kind of IC penalties would there be for stealing a ship? Would it be similar to a car here on Earth? I.e. the complaintant would register with authorities that ship was stolen. How are ships identified? Is it a broadcast of some kind? So *any* Imperial ship they run into will be able to x-reference the ship against stolen ones? Also any station they dock with? And how hard will it be to get this ID replaced?

Any other ideas I should make sure the PCs know about before they embark on trying to steal a ship?

-shnar
Luwingo_Spince
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each ship has an unique transponder code that is broadcasted.

Each transponder code must be reported to the Imperial (forgot the name not at home need to check GG6 tramp freighters) kinda like the DMV.

It is a pretty stiff fine and jail time if I remember correctly.

You can overlap the transponder with a new code but it is pretty tricky and not something most characters can do. Can hire someone to do it though.

I will check when I get home and give you the details
Xynar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each vessel must be registered and "papered" through BoSS, which is gonverment independant. Also the transponder is part of the ion engine so unless the engine is replaced, the code stays. Codes can be changed (illegally) but requires a pretty good space transports repair roll if I remember correctly.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a post that had a truely excellent description of the transponder code and how to change it. I think it was in the gamemasters thread but I can't find it now.

Anyone else remember where to find it?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
MGray
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the GMs thread but I believe it might be in Tramp Freighters for 1st Edition (oddly there are some things in the 1E book's modification chapter that didn't make it to the 2E book) and I know for sure it's in Cracken's Rebel Field Guide.

You have two basic methods to mess with transponder codes. You can add extra codes to a ship's signature. This takes time (it takes a week to add a code to a starship) and credits, and in 1E skill points. The first code is an Easy Technology or Starship Repairs roll and costs 1500 credits. The difficulty and costs go up from there. If a ship has more than three codes it starts to mess with the signature and it can be spotted.

The (relatively) quick and dirty method is to blur the code so it's unreadable. It's a Moderate Starship Repair roll and takes around four hours. You might then be able to bluff your way past Customs with some decent forged papers and promise to get it repaired ASAP (and maybe a sizable bribe where appropriate). To get the code repaired it's a Difficult Starship Repair roll and takes a day to get the work done.

This is all per CRFG which is a 1E book. I think there is a 2E version of all this, but I can;t for the life of me remember which book it's in. I'll have a look at my books and get back to you.

EDIT: OK, so the 2E book is Pirates and Privateers. Go figure, a book all aboot stealing ships is where you find out how to steal ships. Anyways. It stays the same as in 1E. The first extra code (which should be sufficient for the purposes of stealing a ship) is an Easy Starship Repairs roll and costs a minimum of 1500 credits. You also have additional expenses. You can either use a code from an already existing starship or register a brand new code. In the first case, it takes a week of research and at least 1000 credits to find an appropriate code. In the second, it takes a Moderate to Difficult Con or Bureaucracy roll and at least 1000 credits.

Ghost codes can be detected, the more you have the easier they are to detect.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thread where we discussed stuff about the transponder code before: http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1894&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=transponder&start=0
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And how hard will it be to get this ID replaced?

For beginning characters without the proper contacts it can be exteremely difficult.
They could end up in a hefty debt to what ever "mob boss" you want for a real good ID or they could end up getting tagged with a suspicious or outright false ID due to not so great ID falsifying on their part.

How good that ID really is in the end is entirely up to you.

That stolen ship adds all the elements you already planned to the old ship they have now so nothing really changes for you, just added story elements.
What would be funny to do to them much later in the campaign is that something needed to continue with the campaign arc is hidden in the old ship so they have to go track down their old ship again (aka having to steal their old ship back)
but now it's upgraded to a level equal or better to the one they have now.
MGray
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfe wrote:

For beginning characters without the proper contacts it can be exteremely difficult.
They could end up in a hefty debt to what ever "mob boss" you want for a real good ID or they could end up getting tagged with a suspicious or outright false ID due to not so great ID falsifying on their part.

How good that ID really is in the end is entirely up to you.

That stolen ship adds all the elements you already planned to the old ship they have now so nothing really changes for you, just added story elements.
What would be funny to do to them much later in the campaign is that something needed to continue with the campaign arc is hidden in the old ship so they have to go track down their old ship again (aka having to steal their old ship back)
but now it's upgraded to a level equal or better to the one they have now.

Exactly, I just kind of put the costs and difficulties out there without the fleshing out part that Wolfe has added. Getting an 'appropriate' code can be an adventure in itself as you try and search the the criminal underground for the proper contacts, get pulled into turf wars, or get deeper into debt with a crime lord. It shouldn't be as simple as I made it out to be. On the other hand it shouldn't be impossible either.

Dealing directly with BoSS to register a new transponder code should be even more fun for the PCs.
mdlake
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Grand Theft Starship? Reply with quote

shnar wrote:
Rarely in RPGs do PCs actually have a conscious Razz

Even fewer have much of a conscience.

Your post doesn't ask for things you shouldn't warn players about, nor for arbitrary complications, but I'll offer a few ideas anyway. They may amuse or inspire. Why yes, I am prone to GM cruelty; why do you ask?

Also, you might ask your players how they propose to dispose of their old ship lest the cops find it abandoned and put two and two together. Be sure to raise the dilemma of how they'll get around without the old ship if the plan to steal a new one goes wrong; the results should be interesting.

1. The PCs "just happen to" steal the one ship in the lot that belongs to someone as dangerous (to the PCs) as the Imperial bureaucracy. The sweet sixteen gift to some crime boss's spoiled daughter. A smuggling vessel that still hold its valuable (dangerous?) cargo. A ship designated for some act of espionage or conspiracy, whose the former owners needlessly panic in fear that someone seized the ship to get incriminating evidence on them. (A possible link to the Rebellion, if you want it, and if ruffled feathers can be smoothed...)

2. The ship has just the kind of stats that would catch the PCs' eyes, but the souped-up gear is unreliable. Maybe it's painfully fine-tuned and unable to stand up to the rigors of the typical RPG campaign without the kind of brilliant engineer who used to take care of it. Perhaps it uses some kind of experimental gear. If you worry the PCs might just sell the experimental gear at a hefty profit, make it old, finicky, high-performace technology that everyone knows about but which is unpopular precisely for its temperamental nature. A skilled mechanic should be able identify these problems; he might also overestimate his own skill at keeping them under control. Or the ship is a highly-polished junker: looks like a fish, steers like a cow.

3. The ship's theft proves the straw that broke the camel's back: ship theft in this sector has been high for some time--a fact that may or not be publicized--and the authorities determine to crack down specifically on ship thieves, and especially to make a very public example of this case.

4. Maybe you can tempt players with a ship with terrific engines but no weapons. That's okay; once the PCs get to a second-hand shipyard, they're set. But that abruptly proves harder than expected: authorities looking for a (different) criminal gang begins patroling the junkyards, or rebels desperate for arms have stripped the yards of any blasters worth the name, or the heavies from #1 above intimidate the junkyard owners into selling no arms, or reporting purchases, or both.

5. The ship is an experimental, and probably illegal, droid, with a will of its own. If it's not illegal, it's surely a pet project for some highly-placed Imperial official. If it's fairly cooperative, the ship could be a recurring NPC who must be cajoled into flying properly from time to time. If not, it could present a long-term mystery ("How do our enemies always know where we are? Hey! Who keeps sending out these pulse beacons when we land?") or a dramatic one-shot as players try to regain control of their ship ("Open the pod bay door, HAL.") without destroying it.
[/i]
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Grand Theft Starship? Reply with quote

mdlake wrote:
shnar wrote:
Rarely in RPGs do PCs actually have a conscious Razz

Even fewer have much of a conscience.

Hey don't blame the PCs they have poor role models. I think in Adventure Journal 14 or 15 a rebel spec ops team decides they need a new ship so what do they do? Just go down to the hanger bay a pretty much randomly choose a civillian light freighter to jack. I mean come aren't they suppose to be you know the good guys? Even rebel privateers operate under stricter control thatn that!
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's AJ #13 the story is in the article suprisingly titled "Special Ops: shipjacking".
You might want to read it again as it quite explains why they stole the YT-1300, particularly that YT-1300 along with any other freighter they jack. Rolling Eyes Laughing

No, rebel privateers don't operate under stricter controls.
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't beleive they actually say they know it belongs to some criminal type they just decide Yt-1300=easiler modified and inconspicious. If they did they sure didn't act like it, what with not going over the thing better and finding that assasin droid in the cargo hold.

And yes rebel privateers have stricter criteria just look over the examples of the Letters of Marque, nowhere under the legitimate prizes is their a listing for "independent owned tramp freighters"
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If rebel command says to jack a YT-1300 you jack a YT-1300, be it Special Ops or Privateers, so NO the privateers are not under any more stricter operational guidelines. Razz
If your letters of Marque limit such operations by privateers, they are beyond useless as that IS one of the privateers missions (collecting ships that the Alliance asks for).

You really need to re-read the article that goes with the story as you don't seem to be getting it.
The Brain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfe wrote:
If rebel command says to jack a YT-1300 you jack a YT-1300, be it Special Ops or Privateers, so NO the privateers are not under any more stricter operational guidelines. Razz
If your letters of Marque limit such operations by privateers, they are beyond useless as that IS one of the privateers missions (collecting ships that the Alliance asks for).

Within the limits noted in the Letters of Marque issued by the Rebel Alliance for examples see Pirates and Privateers pg. 9, The FarOrbit Project pgs 6 and 48-51. The Rebellion doesn't want its operatives running around willy nilly seizing ships at random it kind of cuts down on the popular support they want and need.
wolfe
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your still completely oblivious to alliance ship jacking and why it's done..
You obviously haven't read the article (or the story itself especially the part where it says they had already checked the ship out on the computer, yes they say it, yes it is in there.)

The L M&R is for limiting the privateers attacks of opportunity when they are not on a given assignment call.
The alliance will give them assignments at times such as need more bacta, we need a YT1300, or a Lambda shuttle with no damage, need more blaster gas and so on.

The L M & R specifically states not to harm (or to take hostage) civvies or damage their possessions, it doesn't say one darn thing (or even hint at) about you can't jack the ship if the alliance asks for it.

Privateering 101, privateer vessels (and Special Ops) give the Alliance the ability to do things that their regular military forces can't or "shouldn't".

If the sector does not have a free Special Operations team then it would fall to their privateers to jack a ship, especially if they have an observer (a former special operative).

What is more likely to cause dissension against the rebel alliance by the populace in general, a privateer vessel aka "pirate ship" doing an assigned ship jacking or having the alliance Headquarters Mon Cal cruiser "Home One" going off and jacking a YT-1300 once and awhile when they need them.

Having the privateers doing it would be vastly superior as you can claim no responsibility for pirate actions yourself even if you had to, after all the vast majority of the galaxy doesn't discern the difference between rebel privateers and pirates anyway, to most they are the one and the same, especially when non alliance "pirates" lie about operating with the alliance.

Since you can't bother to read that article and bother to understand the concept of alliance ship jacking, I'm done with you on it, not to mention it's gotten off his topic now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: