The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

I could use some advice...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> I could use some advice...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravenarchon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: I could use some advice... Reply with quote

Not really for the GMing side of things, but I wasn't sure where else to put this. The advice I need is where one can buy some good dice. Are there certain websites that the people here use?

I'd like to get my hands on about 15ish d6s, and I'd like to pick out certain ones. As far as I know there's no real comic shop around where I live, so I'm basicly stuck using the net. I want to get some dice that use actual numbers on the faces and not dots.

So anyone know a website that's trustworthy, and let's you pick out which dice you want?

Also on a unrelated note (but still about buying things), I want to actually start my collection of books and I was wondering what books are considered must haves/fantasticly written etc. I think there may have been a question sort'a like this posted already, but I don't remember the post's title and as long as I'm already asking a question, no sense in making another post.

Thanks in advance for any help.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if there is a general game store near where you live (board games etc) or a smaller toy store, you can usually find dice there as well.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best place to get dice is your local game store. i would suggest getting a chessex block of dice. their about 1/2 size and come in packs of about 36. or if you want some interesting but much more expensive dice (which i don't recommend for people just starting gaming) then look at crystal caste. i think they have websites but the best place is your local game score. they can give you good (and maybe better) advice on what to buy.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, you can get dice at Walmart... they're with the playing cards.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh... you don't want THOSE dice. You want the nice ones. The pretty ones... the ones you pay a lot more for.

http://www.chessex.com

Now those are the dice you really want... and that I have hundreds of. I would say that it's a problem that I need help for, but I haven't bought any more dice in over a year... though there are hundreds of them in my little dice box.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double, but if you want a cheaper alternative for the classic dice (plainish looking D6's) you can go to

http://www.crystalcaste.com

I have to say, though, that their crystal dice are very attractive.
DarthMortis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Ohh... you don't want THOSE dice. You want the nice ones. The pretty ones... the ones you pay a lot more for.

http://www.chessex.com

Now those are the dice you really want... and that I have hundreds of. I would say that it's a problem that I need help for, but I haven't bought any more dice in over a year... though there are hundreds of them in my little dice box.

I have had, and lost, many dice of this kind. I dunno what happens to them, they just disappear one at a time until they're all gone -.-
"I believe the Jedi are weak so they give up their emotions. I believe the Sith are weak so they give up to their emotions. I lay somewhere in the middle, not afraid to keep my emotions, but afraid to lose myself in them." - Daroth Mortanis
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ravenarchon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o-o The chessex dice look like what I'm looking for. Sadly as far as I can tell they don't have PICTURES of their dice. How can I know what I want if I can't see exactly what I'm ordering. Neutral

Edit: Nevermind, I found the pics. Now if only they accepted paypal.
ZepDek
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: About the books Reply with quote

Ravenarchon, as for dice I recommend most hobby stores, but for books, I really liked the D6 Death star technical compainon (really has loads of useful information about the empire in general), and for wealths of information I'd recommending a big honking Star wars Encyclpedia. I got one a while back and its a bit old but it still great. I'll try to find it so I can tell you who makes it.
FightingCorsair
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started gaming I plundered all the dice from the board games in the house. Of course every once and a while I'd here my name being yelled from across the house. Axis and Allies comes with 12 dice.

Gaming and SciFi cons are likely to have tables and tables of dice. I just picked up some Chessex dice this summer at DragonCon. We were just starting to get back into SW gaming and it was a good opportunity to get some new stuff.

Six siders should be available anywhere. Anyplace that carries card decks and other gambling stuff should have them.
Ravenarchon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally settled on, and bought two blocks of chessex 12mm dice. 36 dice per block. I got one translucent red block, and one translucent blue block (Red and Blue lightsaber colors ;D). My plan is to use the red dice as the wild dice and the blue as the main. I think that'll look pretty danged cool.
Orpheus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ravenarchon wrote:
I finally settled on, and bought two blocks of chessex 12mm dice. 36 dice per block. I got one translucent red block, and one translucent blue block (Red and Blue lightsaber colors ;D). My plan is to use the red dice as the wild dice and the blue as the main. I think that'll look pretty danged cool.

I have several sets of polyhedrals, but prefer my two sets of Gamescience for gaming which requires dice of that ilk (i.e. AD&D, Castles & Crusades, Call of Cthulhu, Savage Worlds). As for Star Wars, however, I bought a block of Chessex 12mm dice back in the mid-90's just for that game. I still have all of them and a few of a different color for wild dice. Very Happy
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we started playing star wars, a friend and I brought a cheap set od 24 d6's each, me with red dots, him with white, and we just swapped a die each. Voila. We had one die different in our sets which made our wild dies. He later painted the dots on his blue.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: