The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Using character-scale weapons against vehicles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Using character-scale weapons against vehicles Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robot Ron
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the rules for using character-scale weapons like blaster rifles and stuff, against vehicles, such as an AT-ST. Do they do half damage, or something like that, or do they not inflict any damage at all?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are modifiers to each roll that is made based on the scale. Here's a pretty good explanation with examples:
http://www.rancorpit.com/swrules.shtml#scale

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that scale mod is far easier to understand than the original 2/6 3/6 4/6 -/6 6/- stuff
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volo, me b'y, could you tell my GM that please! He still insists the original system is easier!

Despite the fact that we have to record a few different numbers for "Full Action Dodges" instead of adding/removing dice.

Oh well, ces la vie.
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do my dodging different the only time my players have had to full action dodge was from a grenade cuz they want to get out of the area of affect usually i leave the dodge faze open cuz i mean you can dodge as many times as you have dice so if 20 storm troopers are going to shoot at me i want to dodge 7 of them after i shoot the commander. and according to the rule book with out the scaling done in 2d-24d luke couldn't have killed the death star nor could have han
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you talking about?

Do you not use the Revised & Expanded rules?

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R&E Rules... Nope. My GM is into Hokey Religions and Ancient Weapons. Crying or Very sad

These are the OLD rules. "Die Caps". Oh how I hate them.

Oh well, he's the GM. The strange part is, it's harder math... And he is not very good with it. You'd think he'd love easier math.

Of course, that's what he has us for. For just those occasions when he wants to figure out how fast someone is going when they hit the water, so he can tell how many times the character "Skipped".
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all GMs jump to revise what they know... I played 2nd Edition AD&D, and when WotC came out w/ 3rd I really didn't like it much at first glance... but then after I played it a few times, I realized it was a million times easier and now I'm a little nervous about going back to 2nd so... It's kind of the same situation... you should see if you can convince your GM to try the new stuff once or twice, just to see if he likes it.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crell, me b'y, that would be like convincing Darth Vader to let a Jedi go... Particularily one that just slapped his face, and doused white paint all over his armour and cape...
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem when trying to convince my GM to use the rules I found on the internet.

However it's more like Trying to get Darth Vader to release a force sensitive person with an annoying voice and irritating manerisms (Think a force sensitive Jar-Jar binks)
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys just aren't persuasive enough...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a scale in revised and expanded its also listed in an andventure journal but i don't know which one sorry... it is however posted on this site somewhere(pauses to look for it.)

http://www.rancorpit.com/swrules.shtml#scale

or under west end games rules upgrade... and the link entitled scale incase it gets moved somehow... make life easy.

but i don't use all the revisions... like wounded twice. nope. if i hit you you suffer. thats why i let my group get a little stronger than they should be. they couldn't take bad karma but it would be a good fight if the jedi could get his ls combat up he has actually done it once every other time he has mishaped its really funny.
Brandon
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I'm a little hazy on:

Scale Modifier
Character N/A
Speeder 2D
Walker 4D
Starfighter 6D
Capital 12D
Death Star 24D

So the adjusted modifier whenever a character is involved with other scales is simply the number next to the other scales? As opposed to the speeder vs. walker example where the difference is applied.
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct B.

So if the Death Star shoots at the character, the character gets 24D added to his dodge, and the Death Star gets 24D added to damage. Not that the character has a chance to avoid his planet blowing up, but at least he wasn't hit directly. Smile

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, just because a GM chooses to use the die cap system doesn't make it ancient. I prefer it over the R&E version of scales simply because the die cap DOESN'T add in more dice. There's a point where things become ridiculous with the amount of dice rolled. The R&E version simply made it easier for the ridiculous level to be reached. Case in point, the above comment about 24D added to the damage roll. That's just insane!

Much easier to simply look at the - / 6 and realize that no matter what the character rolls, they're not going to survive a Death Star scale weapon.

I also don't understand the confusion people have with the "calculations". Ray you mention "harder math"...I'm curious how you figure that. Say the Die Cap is 4. Any dice that roll higher than 4 are counted as 4. If the roll is 4 or below, it's counted normally. How is that harder? Perhaps you've just never had it explained in a manner that's easy to understand, I don't know. Between counting up 18D (6D regular skill + 12D scale modifier) or counting 6D and capping the dice at a certain number, I'd take counting less dice any day.

Of course, to each their own, but there is no way that someone could convince me that adding dice is the superior way of doing scales. So I understand where other GMs that refuse to give it up are coming from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: