The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Near-Human: Zanlite Species.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Near-Human: Zanlite Species.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Near-Human: Zanlite Species. Reply with quote

Here is my creation feel free to comment with (constructive) criticsm. Thanks!. Smile (Edit: Added Picture)

Human: Zanlite
Home Planet: Zanlaus Prime
Attribute Dice: 12D
Dexterity: 2D/4D
Knowledge: 1d+2/3D+2
Mechanical: 2D+1/4D+1
Perception: 2D/4D
Strength: 1D/3D
Technical: 3D/5D
Move: 10/13
Size: 1.4 to 1.9 meters tall
Special Abilities:
Technical Aptitude: Zanlites have an innate talent for engineering. Zanlite technicians can copy and improve on any device they have an opportunity to study, assuming they have an appropriate skill. This Examination takes 1D days. Once learned, the technician can apply +2D to repairing or modifying such devices. These modifications are highly reliable and unlikely to break down.

Story Factors:
Curiosity: Zanlites are attracted to new technology and unfamiliar machinery. When encountering new mechanical devices, and not having some thing much more pressing to stop him/her (such as iminent danger), zanlites must make a moderate Willpower roll (at a -1D penalty) or they will be unable to prevent themselves from examining the device.

New to Spacefaring (Tales of the Jedi and Knights of the Old Republic Eras ONLY): The Zanlites have only within the last 100 years (4100 years before the Battle of Yavin) acquired hyperdrive technology, and aren't very widely known of as yet, and are mainly encountered along the Corellian Run and Rimma Trade Route.

Rapid Adaptive Biology: Happening early in zanlite history, genetic engineering to combat a rampant, cronic, genetic sterility disease has had the side effect of not only correcting this disease, but also enabling Zanlites to produce healthy, viable, offspring with any Human/Near-Human species and even with alien spiecies that while, not directly related to humans, have similar pysiologies to them, including Togruta, Twi'leks, and Zabrak, among others.

Technological Mimics: Zanlites are among the Galaxy's biggest flaunters of Intersteller Patent Law, though they usually restict this to designs that have been phased out of production by others to avoid drawing TOO much ire from irate manufacturers.....

Appearance and Biology: As a Near-Human race, zanlite have only a few differances than normal humans biologicaly and appearancewise: They tend to be shorter and of lighter build then baseline humans, they also have grey "Zebra" skin stripes all along their bodies and their hair colors come in three phases - Teno: a lighter shade of color such as brown, red or blone with black highlights, Crello: which reverses the first color pattern, and Zaus: a party color riot of of the variuos shades and colors found in normal humans. They also a typhically attractive in an exotic way to normal human eyes. The biggest diferance is in biology: Zanlites Possess a "Rapid Adaptive Biology" enabling them to bear offspring with any near-human species and even many species, that while not directly related to humans, possess similar physiologies to them (this "Rapid Adaptive Biology is always passed to any children, regardless of the species of the other parent). This aspect of Zanlite biology is due to genetic tinkering to correct a, widespread, genetic sterility disease that affected the Zanlites forebearers, known to Zanlites as the "Reaving". Also due to the early colonists being massively dependant on technology to survive in their home this tinkering included adding predispositions to engineering and the sciences (reinforced heavily by cultural traditions). Other wise zanlites are very much indentical to humans.

Picture Of Crello Zanlite With Some Human Ancestry In His Family Tree:

History and Culture: Early Zanlite history was punctuated by a series of intense clan wars over resources and Zanlite culture could be described as "Warrior-Merchantile", and is Clan Based. All Zanlites are tatooed with the symbol of their Clan upon the wrist, and Zanlite Posses three names The first is the given name, the second is the clan name, the third is the individual's family name. The clan and his or her family within the clan is very important to Zanlites as is personal honor, though their sense of it isn't as well developed as that of wookies for instance (even Zanlite criminals and pirates have lines they will not cross). Being Descended from corellian stock, Zanlites have much in common with their corellian cousins still, culturally. Children are considered very sacrosanct in zanlite culture and society (this veiw often, also, extends to children of other species as well), due in large part to the period in history when the zanlites' ancestors were slowly dying out and children were rare, and though rarely practiced by them these days, Zanlite culture includes the custom of pologamy, the taking of two wives, a relic also of the time when fertile males were uncommon.

Politics: The Zanlite Free Planet States government has been largely neutral for centuries, they were never a part of the Old (or New) Republic or Galactic Empire, though zanlite Mercenaries were free to hire themselves out to to outside parties (during the Rebellion, the Zanlite government secretly favored the Alliance as the more honorable party) and they traded with all... The Zanlites had the firepower and skills to cause the Empire to target others for conquest first before dealing with them.

Technology Level: The Zanlite aquired hyperdrive 4,100 years before the Battle of Yavin and have used it to establish colonies though out an entire sector, claiming it as theirs. Zanlite Technology tends to be based on that of others and altered to suit Zanlite tastes, often without regard to the original patent holder's rights to the design (this is often restricted to designs phased out of Production by others to avoid drawing too much anger from manufacturer's). Zanlite Ships tend to be very heavily armed and shielded for their roles.

Trade an Technology: The Cryllos Sector the Zanlites control is fairly rich in resorces, though out of the way, being just southwest of the tapani sector close to/partialy in wild space.. They trade heavily with the Tapani Sector and Corellian Sector and all along the Rimma Trade route and Corellian Run, tradeing goods. Among the zanlites' biggest exports are mercenaries and technological goods of all types.

Zanlites in the Galaxy: Many Zanlites have found oportunities inside of large manufacturing corporations as engineers and designers, and there are many Zanlite mercenary companies and privateer fleets who ply their trades elsewhere in the galaxy.

Last edited by Falcon79 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like. Usually I'm not too fond of new fan-made species, as they usually interrupt some level of game balance, but I don't see anything of that nature here.

The only thing that I would suggest doing is changing the -1D penalty to the willpower roll. Either make it a Difficult roll, or drop the penalty altogether. Usually WEG would simply increase the difficulty unless there was some significant reason to create a penalty.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I like. Usually I'm not too fond of new fan-made species, as they usually interrupt some level of game balance, but I don't see anything of that nature here.

The only thing that I would suggest doing is changing the -1D penalty to the willpower roll. Either make it a Difficult roll, or drop the penalty altogether. Usually WEG would simply increase the difficulty unless there was some significant reason to create a penalty.

Thank you! I worked very hard to balance it. Feel free to poach it for your own use! Very Happy The 1D penalty is identical to that of the Filvian's and is linked to (and ment to compensate for) the technical aptiude ability. When making new species/races for any game I look for existing precedents in the game that'll capture the feel I'm looking for.
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a little surprised to see that so many of them serve as mercenaries. Given their affinity and curiosity towards technology, I would think that could get in the way at times with fulfilling their contracts.

Also, having only recently aquired hyperspace technology, would that put limits or penalties on certain technological skills, or would you just rely on the PC's (or GM) to deal with the potential weakness of certain skills. One example I was thinking of would be with starship repair and engineering. If the hyperdrive goes out, would an older Zanite be less likely to know how to repair it, even with the technological aptitude. Another way to look at it would be in real life as technology increases, generally speaking the younger generations pick up on them and learn to use them much sooner/faster.

Other than those, I like the species and would love to see a picture!!
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YodaWI wrote:
I was a little surprised to see that so many of them serve as mercenaries. Given their affinity and curiosity towards technology, I would think that could get in the way at times with fulfilling their contracts.
Usually Mercenary work is a way of of aquiring the latest technology for them, and they have a rich warrior tradition, what they lack in physical pressence they make for in sheer training and ferocity. They are SOMEWHAT similar to 'Mandos, though instead of focusing on personal and ground combat, they work pimarily with Vehicular and Space Warfare, though their infantry tend to be the insane redheded stepchildren of their forces and mean as rabid Cyboran Battledogs.

YodaWI wrote:
Also, having only recently aquired hyperspace technology, would that put limits or penalties on certain technological skills, or would you just rely on the PC's (or GM) to deal with the potential weakness of certain skills. One example I was thinking of would be with starship repair and engineering. If the hyperdrive goes out, would an older Zanite be less likely to know how to repair it, even with the technological aptitude. Another way to look at it would be in real life as technology increases, generally speaking the younger generations pick up on them and learn to use them much sooner/faster.

Fair assumption, granted most PCs wouldn't be that old and set in their ways. Remember this applies to the Tales of the Jedi and Knights of the Old Republic Time Periods only though. By the time of the Empire they control a whole sector pretty much and are integrated into the galactic enviroment heavily....

YodaWI wrote:

Thanks! Very Happy If you know someone who can draw real good and do a Picture of of a Zanlite for free plaese tell me! I WANT to see them drawn.... bad. Wink
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad. The stats are pretty nicely balanced to lend the flavor of the alien race. Their tech affinity is pretty neat. I can imagine one of them carefully studying things for days on end and coming out of their rooms to be able to explain how they could alter the thing or make it work.

Just be careful with trying to make the race too powerful as an entity. I'd be hard pressed to swallow that this race was so strong militarily as to give the Empire pause. A race with technical affinity, human appearance and good ship/fighting ability would be integrated by the Empire or destroyed if they didn't sign up. The Republic, I can see them living and letting live, but the Empire would focus the necessary resources to squash a threat as powerful as you make this race sound. An entire sector of space. Warrior beliefs. There's GOT to be some dark secret or skeleton in their closet where maybe they worked with the Empire but don't want to talk about it (and publicly say they helped the Alliance because they're ashamed of their work with the Empire). If they don't have something like this, then their area of space would likely be ravaged as the Empire would not want a threat like that sitting there in such close proximity to major areas.

Otherwise, the race seems pretty good.
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
Not bad. The stats are pretty nicely balanced to lend the flavor of the alien race. Their tech affinity is pretty neat. I can imagine one of them carefully studying things for days on end and coming out of their rooms to be able to explain how they could alter the thing or make it work.

Just be careful with trying to make the race too powerful as an entity. I'd be hard pressed to swallow that this race was so strong militarily as to give the Empire pause. A race with technical affinity, human appearance and good ship/fighting ability would be integrated by the Empire or destroyed if they didn't sign up. The Republic, I can see them living and letting live, but the Empire would focus the necessary resources to squash a threat as powerful as you make this race sound. An entire sector of space. Warrior beliefs. There's GOT to be some dark secret or skeleton in their closet where maybe they worked with the Empire but don't want to talk about it (and publicly say they helped the Alliance because they're ashamed of their work with the Empire). If they don't have something like this, then their area of space would likely be ravaged as the Empire would not want a threat like that sitting there in such close proximity to major areas.

Otherwise, the race seems pretty good.

your more right then you know.... Wink They certainly can't take the Empire on directly. They were just useful enough as a client state (much like the huts were) that the Imps worried about more annoying fish in the sea, there is also the question of getting into their space to begin with it has a "geography" similar to the Hapan star cluster, and is a pretty small sector (only a few safe lanes in/out, and Zanlites have gravity well generator tech as well (basically one of the first developers of it). Basically they were JUST useful enough to be left alone by the Imps for the time being (incedently the time for conquest never realy came as the Empire was too distracted to ever bug them more then economically)... The imps surely tried to subjugate them economicaly though... Wink I also didn't say WHICH firms Zanlite Techs worked for either... Wink They walked a VERY thin line with the Imps. What's above in the description/background the "Official" Zanlite line on the matter. Wink
Falcon79
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YodaWI wrote:

Your whish has been granted! 8)
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, but would prefer to have some balancing factors than just the willpower penalty. Its fun to play both the strengths and weaknesses of a species. With their ability to study items to fix and improve, maybe a penalty when trying to work on something they haven't studied yet, jury rig something outside of how it's supposed to work, or design something new.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: