The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Enhance attribute? how do you go about it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Enhance attribute? how do you go about it? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried something years ago based off of the Martial Arts rules, but it wound up slowing down combat incredibly, so I ditched the idea.

It slowed down combat because the maneuvers were dependent on the lightsaber skill independent of the sense roll, and so you had to make one roll to see if the technique worked, and then you added your sense dice after it worked or didn't.

Too many rolls, definitely not fun. I still think it was solid in theory, but was just too slow in practice.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some work on this last night. Considering that we have strayed off topic, I'll start a new thread for this idea.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
I believe t states that you roll and then can take any bonus result up to what you roll. So you can take less for more.

When I House Rule it, I don't apply a MAP to the enhanced attribute from the Power. Otherwise a character would be usually better off just "preparing".

Yeah, that never made much sense, either... I'm using an action and taking a -1D MAP to gain a +1D benefit? Ok, maybe it's for 3 rounds, but that's still pretty weak.

A classical designer flaw overlooking the actual 'in game' result.
I never liked powers/spells with really short duration for any game, it seems just play balance arbitrary and not 'logical'.. However, this power is a bit OTT if allowed to be 'kept up'.

I think I made this power +1D: 2D6 rounds. +2D: 1D6 rounds. +3D: 1D6/3 rounds. User can always chose a lower result. The GM rolled the duration and kept it secret from the player.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows about the MAP only counts for the first round it comes up, but not for the others.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Hows about the MAP only counts for the first round it comes up, but not for the others.

If im not misinformed, thats the way the power works anyway. Its not a 'kept up' power, but activating it is an action and then it lasts for the specified number of rounds.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cunning_kindred wrote:
I always let people roll and then they could choose either the result they rolled or something from lower down on the table if they wanted.

...Same here!
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
I believe t states that you roll and then can take any bonus result up to what you roll. So you can take less for more.

When I House Rule it, I don't apply a MAP to the enhanced attribute from the Power. Otherwise a character would be usually better off just "preparing".

Yeah, that never made much sense, either... I'm using an action and taking a -1D MAP to gain a +1D benefit? Ok, maybe it's for 3 rounds, but that's still pretty weak.

But the same logic means that rolling +3D for one round is worse than rolling +2D for two rounds, if the round in which the power is activated counts as a part of the duration.

If you activate this power for one round, does it only last the same round its activated, or also during the next round?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most gms i have been under, have it where the bonuses hit NEXT round, not the round you activate it.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Most gms i have been under, have it where the bonuses hit NEXT round, not the round you activate it.

But that seems a bit strange too. Id rather be lenient and let the power kick in immediately and then last for the RAW number of rounds after the round of activation.

This might seem 'powerful' but otherwise the +3D effect is a total waste if you dont go down on a micro level and split rounds into phases (in which case the power last the rest of the round and a part of the next round).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: