The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ion cannons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Ion cannons Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Ion cannons Reply with quote

In Starwars 4 A New Hope we see R2 being 'stunned' with a Jawa's hand held ion cannon.

Does anyone have the stats for such a weapon?

Can you get multiple types of hand held ion weapons?

Can a ion cannon be modified to be able to stun organics too?

Are their official rules for an ion (EMP) grenade?

How do you 'fix' ion damage or does it just wear off?

If I shoot Boba Fett with an ion cannon do all the weapons and gadgets built into his armour stop working?
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Official rules on that I can’t help you.

But I know that E-11’s have a stun setting, we saw as much in ANH when Liea got captured by stormies. I believe most weapons have a stun setting, though I could be wrong.

As for Boba, he might have some sort of shielding to prevent ion attacks…but then again his rocket pack did not have redundant systems or safeties so who knows.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ion cannons Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
In Starwars 4 A New Hope we see R2 being 'stunned' with a Jawa's hand held ion cannon.

I love that scene.

Esoomian wrote:
Does anyone have the stats for such a weapon?

Ummm... IIRC, it's in the "A New Hope"/"Star Wars Trilogy" Sourcebook, but is essentially a weapon that does 3D damage to a Droid only.

Esoomian wrote:
Can you get multiple types of hand held ion weapons?

They're not that common. In fact, the Jawa model is handmade and is unique. Most people just use a Blaster. They're only useful against non-military droids, and... Well... You can just as easily flip the on/off switch...

Esoomian wrote:
Can a ion cannon be modified to be able to stun organics too?

Not really. Ion Cannons disrupt the Electronic Pathways of Droids... Human Electro-Chemical Neural Pathways are mostly immune to it. "Tingly Feeling" is how my group put it. Worse case scenario, that part of your body just fell asleep.

Esoomian wrote:
Are their official rules for an ion (EMP) grenade?

Not that I recall... Odd...

Esoomian wrote:
How do you 'fix' ion damage or does it just wear off?

Depends on how you deal with Ion Damage. My group has a house rule that, at worse, it "Trips The Breakers/Burns the Fuses" and requires a minor reset/replacement of minor parts (Spares can commonly be found in the droids themselves, and literally cost a Decicred a Dozen.

Other groups may rule that Ion Damage causes actual, physical damage to Electronics, which means that a few of the systems will need replacing or repairing (Better pull out that soldering iron!).

Esoomian wrote:
If I shoot Boba Fett with an ion cannon do all the weapons and gadgets built into his armour stop working?

Not likely. First, you have to hit him. Good luck. Then, his armour is designed to work in a combat enviroment... HEAVY Shielding on 'em. Finally... Well... If you're facing Boba Fett, the chance that you'll be able to even *DRAW* is pretty much non-existant.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you’re a blind smuggler...then Fett is toast.

I figure that there would be two different settings for ion weapon…stun and the regular one. I mean, why would Jawa’s who want to nab a Droid try to actually damage something they are going to sell?
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:
Unless you’re a blind smuggler...then Fett is toast.

"I call it luck." I've always wanted to use that line...
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky shot or no, they should have made the dang this a bit less “touchy”.

I have said it before and I’ll say it again…

The Fett’s never learn, they both have been undone by their rocket packs.
Jedi Knight Jael Weiss
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope the following info helps in some way...

Check the Imperial Sourcebook, pg 122. It gives a descriptin of the Merr-Sonn DEMP gun, that is designed specifically to stun or knock out droids. You can get it either as a handgun or a blaster carbine, and it has three settings (2D/3D handgun/blaster carbine, 3D/4D, and 4D/5D).

Perhaps the Jawas scavenged one and used it to stun R2?

If you want, I can write up the exact specs in a future post. Hope this helps...
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff man!
I can’t wait to see that.
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the jawa gun is called a droid disabler and it does 4d ion damage rng: 0-5/7/10. as far as how ion damage affects Organics... um bad. the way the novels describe it is its like getting hit with electrical damage. i assume it feels alot like being force lightninged. and i would treat it as such and ionization should affect anything that has electronic relays and circuit boards fetts armor would lose his sensor pack and controls over his armor weapons etc but hand held ion guns are very limited remember almost every system in the galaxy requires some kind of restraint on droids and most police would have a universal remote to them. so not many people have a hand held ion gun. since it doesn't really cover it in the rules though it would have to be at your GM's descretion.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post it. I really want to see it...

Besides if it can be altered (modified) to have a blanket effect or just a wide angle blast (perhaps at the expense of range) you can then use it to take aout all the electronic devices that a person has by just shooting them with this gun...

Now that would be sweet Twisted Evil

Is a lightsaber effected by ionisation?
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you shortened its range anymore it wouldn't go anywhere. and i don't know if it would affect a lightsaber maybe if a jedi wasn't wielding using lightsaber combat then yeah i'd say it would turn off. as far as blasters i think they would still functioni mean the powerpack is sealed and all i don't see how it would really affect a blaster. and what did you want me to post the Droid disabler?
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

droid disabler: galladinium fantastic technology p 77
While time and again droids have proven to be reliable tools in our galaxtic(is this a word?) society, there is still the very real chance of a serious and possibly dangerous malfuntion. Never fear with a droid emergency shutdown controller!
Unlike standard droid restraining devices that need be physically attached to the droid, this hand-held device unleaches an ion-acclerated energy blast that ionizes the droid, preventing further operation. Meanwhile anyone standy nearby notices only a slight tinge from the energy surge.
The droid can usually be reactivated without loss of memory or ability, but it sometimes needs a complete system restart.
Model: Felebreck Electrical Defense Systems Droid Disabler
Skill: Blaster
Ammo: 5 uses standard power packs
Cost: 700;25(power pack)
Availability: 3
Range: 0-5/7/10
damage 4d Ionization Damage
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet.

I assume as the damage is ionisation any unshielded (or even sheilded if you roll high enough for damage) electronics may also be effected by the blast
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, that’s one of the things that I just “love” about some of the game designers…instead using logic, they makeup the most convoluted explanations, “well considering that this thing does the same thing as the ion cannon did in ESB just on a character scale…lets turn it into an entirely different device! Even though it would be safer to assume that since it functions on the same principle, it would have the same effect.”

Sometimes I wonder what those early designers where thinking.

But then again they did not have the support of Lucas Licensing to help them sort through they myriad of different interpretations and speculations of the SW universe, so I will forgive them.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Time Es... Kiss those pirated songs on datacards goodbye!!!

"DARN IT!!! It took me an hour to find the full, extended version of 'Darth Vader Eyes'!!! FOR THIS YOU DIE!!!".

Personally... Why go with some specialized piece of equipment, when you can pull out your just as handy BlasTech ZH-500 ( http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=170 )... Laughing

Or, for those really tough droids, the Corel & DuVal HV-20 ( http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=182 )!!! Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: