The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars: The Old republic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Star Wars: The Old republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Star Wars: The Old republic Reply with quote

I'm not really sure where to put this, as there seems to be no forum for other stuff. I just came back from the gamescom, one of the biggest exhibition worldwide for computergames and I took a rather exclusive look at the new Bioware MMORPG Star Wars:The Old Republic, and I have to say, I was awed, both by the fluidity of the combat system and the deep storytelling and incredible cutscenes.

Smugglers dodge and take cover, to get the drop on opponents, get nasty with groinkicks and headshots at close range and have a small selection of blinding grenades and stuff.

Bountyhunters are a ranged class too but play very differently. They wear heavy armor and usually take on multiple opponents with built-in wristrockets and flamethrowers. They soar through the sky with their jetpacks and use heavy pistols and carbines from what I seen.

They also showed a yet unpublished class, the Sith Warrior, using single and dual lightsabers, as well as some absolutely breathtaking scenery from planets such as Nal Hutta (I think) and Korriban.

Allready it seems nicely animated, even though they said they will still work on a couple of animations and stuff. Full voiceover in English, French and German (even though German sucked!).

All in all a very very sweet game, so much cooler then SW Galaxies... (Then again, thats not atoo hard these days) and I am SO gonna play it! Its gonna have everything you wish from a good roleplaying game, such as PvP, crafting, guilds, mass combat, etc. plus that unbelievable story system and full voice-over cutscenes.

I am sorry for this fangirlish post, but this had to get out of my itchy fingers... Wink
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I saw the walkthrough footage on IGN, and it does look like one sweet game.

Too bad I'll never play it.

MMORPGs? No, thanks. I really didn't see anything in that walkthrough that would have been any different if this was simply KOTOR 3. Why did they have to turn this great RPG franchise into yet another MMORPG?
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major differences are:

- play time (100s of hours)
- friends (who can play together with you)
- completey different missions and storyline, depending on character class, faction and story choices, so you have the content of like a half dozen new games.

I think thats kinda worth the money you pay... But yeah, MMORPGs arent for everybody, and while I understand how you feel about them, it would have been very cool to play together with you! Wink
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm flattered.

I'm sure it's going to be a great game, and I know a MMORPG offers more possibilities than a single player game. The rub is that I really love the KOTOR games and that walkthrough looked like an awesome game, without showcasing anything that wouldn't be possible if this were just KOTOR 3....
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably play the game if I could just buy it and play it, rather than having a subscription-based pay system. That's going to make the difference for me.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for me, I think its worth it. I usually play any offline game for an average of 40 hours before it becomes boring. I usually pay around 40 Euro for my games, so its about a Euro per hour.

Online games cost about the same, but you have to pay another 12-15 Euros per month. However I play online games for maybe 40+ hours a month, so they actually get cheaper the longer I play them. ^_^

There are free to play games such as Runes of Magic or Guildwars, but those never caught on with me. I just generally find them kinda boring. So I rather pay for a real quality game and I strongly believe this will be the one I'm gonna spend at least 2 or 3 years in!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's the problem. I just want a good game to play, maybe a couple of times through, and that's it. I have other things to do, I don't want to be playing the same game for years on end (that's what real RPGs are for). So the MMO format really doesn't fit my bill, which is unfortunate since this game looks to be a real hit.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari wrote:
The major differences are:
- play time (100s of hours)
- friends (who can play together with you)
- completey different missions and storyline, depending on character class, faction and story choices, so you have the content of like a half dozen new games.

Those are all reasons that I play actual rpgs, D6 Star Wars, HARP, etc. To me, MMORPGs reinforce all the most annoying parts of D20 style games, level grind, munchkinism, etc, while leaving out the parts I like, intelligent response to player action, freedom to take the story wherever I wish as a GM, that kind of thing. I'll stick with character sheets and dice bouncing. I've never been a big video game, player, though. I have KOTOR 1, but I got bored with it about 30 minutes in and have yet to fire it up again.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread hasn't been updated in three years, the game's been live a year and just went free to play...

Who's playing SWtOR?

I'm on Ebon Hawk (Sith Sorcerer, lvl 30, Imperial Agent, lvl 18ish, Republic Commando lvl 12) and Prophecy of the Five (Sith Marauder, lvl 18, Sith Sorcerer, lvl 14, Bounty Hunter, lvl 12, Smuggler, lvl 15ish, Jedi something, lvl 20ish).

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you doing free to play Ankhanu? Or are you playing?

If you are doing free can you tell me a little bout it? How is it limited, the downfalls or the differences if you played subscription before?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paying, though there are several months I've payed and haven't played :/

As far as I can see, the main issue with playing Free is that you can't trade items between accounts... there might be a couple other small interaction losses, but, by and large, it seems those playing free I've played with can pretty much just play the game.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: