The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

FFG X-Wing Game-Campaigns, Narrative or Strategic/Tactical?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> FFG X-Wing Game-Campaigns, Narrative or Strategic/Tactical?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: FFG X-Wing Game-Campaigns, Narrative or Strategic/Tactical? Reply with quote

On the official FFG forum for the X-Wing Miniatures game, I've been suggesting that the way that the miniatures game is conventionally played might not scratch every itch that someone like myself - or others like me - might have. It's, after all, a tabletop battle game and doesn't have a narrative overarching drama to it, the way that a roleplaying story might. I covered that in this thread.

In another thread I covered the idea of multi-level play. By this I mean that where the X-Wing game covers the tactical level of direct fighter-on-fighter combat, and increasingly small capital-ship combat as well, it does not cover the operational or strategic levels of war. These are aspects that might be introduced, even if it needs to take care not to diminish the excitement of the tactical level game.

So, why am I relating my postings on that forum here? Well, it seems like cross-forum community collaboration might be fruitful. From a roleplayer's perspective, it might be interesting to help devise the narrative background, and the miniatures game could help resolve some of the epic sides of starfighter combat that might play out in our roleplaying games. Anyway, I just wanted to lay the infrastructure for doing so, just in case anyone was interested in that direction.
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gallofree Transport comes with a three-mission campaign about the escape from Hoth.

I could see this used in an RPG as a sort of small rebel fleet maintenance and battle system. I'm sure we could devise some way to make the ship cards coincide with skills.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played in a game once where my character was the commander of a named X-Wing squadron, having the miniatures available for those fights could have added some much needed visualization, so yes, I could see a niche for this sort of project.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dromdarr_Alark wrote:
The Gallofree Transport comes with a three-mission campaign about the escape from Hoth.

I'm seriously considering picking up the transport. I'm waiting a bit to give myself time to accrue good husband points before I go and spend $60 on it. I know it's cheaper if I buy online, but I want to support the FLGS, which allows us to play games at their locations.

But what I'm currently working on is an online engine which brings in more detail, and a bit of complex interaction between the outcomes of a battle, as well as continuing damage and skill trackings. So, if ships are destroyed in one battle, they don't magically respawn in the next. Players have to husband their resources.

I'm planning to play test the weekend after next, and have spent the last week up to my eyeballs in .php code. I am not a professional programmer, so this has been interesting.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did pick up the Gallofree, though I have yet to really use it in a game. I still love it though, and have used the missiles in some regular game's I've been playing.

In another note (just to keep the thread on life support), I've been working on my online engine. It's actually online now, though I'm needing to update it with the latest material I'm creating. So, it's not really ready for viewing, plus it's behind a login wall.

But, I'm having fun and looking forward to getting some use out of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: