The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars The Old Republic Question/Comment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Star Wars The Old Republic Question/Comment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lando The Archmagi
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Star Wars The Old Republic Question/Comment Reply with quote

I wondered if anyone had done any stats/work writing up d6 info for the ships and stuff from the new Star Wars The Old Republic?

Also, I play the game on the Canderous Ordo server if anyone would like to play with me.

Last edited by Lando The Archmagi on Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually never played. We've talked about the possibilities of such stat work, though it's not usually framed in the context of "conversion" as it is "make up a bunch of stats."

Part of the problem with doing the stats from scratch is we have to make a few assumptions. 1) We may assume that the Star Wars universe is at least somewhat consistent in terms of describing ships, vehicles, weapons, etc. across media. That is to say if one book says Ship X has a 4x hyperdrive, and a video game says that another ship is twice as fast as Ship X, then this new ship has a x2 hyperdrive. The next assumption that we have to go off of is that 2) fluff text is useful in generating stats.

If assumption #1 is the case, then we've got a big problem with how fast technology advances. In the TOTJ era, ships were slow. In the KOTOR era, there had been retcon to say that there was a Copernican Revolution in hyperdrive tech during the Mandolorian wars, and thus we see much faster ships. Even then the Ebon Hawk was FAR faster than anything else around at the time. I think it had a 5x hyperdrive. Now a couple of the Old Republic ships are common freighters and are described in their fluff text as being far and above the Ebon Hawk.

Here we are THOUSANDS of years before the Rebellion Era, and with ships that are going to start to compete with ship speeds of that era.

If assumptions #1 and #2 are wrong, then we're just making things up anyway. (Assumption #3 is exactly that we're not just making things up, even though that assumption is often wrong, particularly and especially by those people who are just making up the stats.) Smile

Anyway, in order to make any conversion, you need hard stats being generated and posted from the game and certain benchmark stats to compare them against. That is to say, you need the stats from an X-Wing or other such standard craft in the TOR game so you can get a baseline comparison. Without such stats, there is no conversion at all, and you're relying on a lot of guesswork from fluff.

I'm wondering if when FFG does their new RPG, then they'll have a sourcebook on TOR. I don't know if I would be very lucky or very unlucky if the stats were able to be converted into D6. Smile
Lando The Archmagi
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the setting of TOR is 300 yrs after the events of KOTOR and the KOTOR material has been done previously for SAGA d20 and converted. There are pictures/general information on the vehicles and such on both the TOR site and a specific Wiki setup for it. I could probably do it myself using other stats for comparison, but thought I'd see if anyone had done any yet or were considering it.

Star Wars The Old Republic Wiki
http://swtor.wikia.com/wiki/Starships
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, but by the time the KOTOR books from WotC had come out, I already had a pretty extensive rubric for doing conversions. Gry Sarth and I put in a good deal of time on the ships, and the systems we used were pretty amazingly consistent that we'd both do the same starship and come up with almost the exact same conversion. There were a few things that would inevitably be different, because WotC had no sensors stats, weapon ranges, and the like, so some of it was extrapolation and guesswork. But those rubrics were only available because we had enough ships existing in both systems (Such as TIE Fighters, The Millenium Falcon, Star Destroyers, etc.). Once we developed the rubric, then we could convert anything they threw at us. (Well... there were a few things that gave us trouble. Don't even get me started on the Outbound Flight.)

But the problem is that all we have is fluff and Wiki to do TOR stats. Now, you can use that information and do wonderful fan stats. I think that would be awesome! If you had some stats put up where other people who played the game can peer review it, and then tweak it to reflect something playable in the game, that's terrific. Though, I'm delineating between branches of fan-made stats and conversion stats. Perhaps that delineation wasn't intended in your post when I read it.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the double, but I'd just remembered that we did have a couple of people work on one of the ships from TOR a while back. I think it was in the Ships and Equipment forum. I looked, but I couldn't find it.

Though, IIRC they had some issues trying to get the fluff to match what stats seemed right for the era. Kind of like one of the problems I mentioned in my earlier posts in trying to get both fluff and stats to be consistent. In the end, if it were me doing them, I'd give more precedent to eyeballing what stats seem right for the era rather than basing it off of the "one upsmanship" between different media, making sure "this ship is more powerful than the one a short time ago."
Lando The Archmagi
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a couple of threads that you must have been referencing previously. I hope perhaps they'll be picked back up and reworked if needed.

I'd be happy to add my input. Yes, I meant making stats for the vehicles/weapons/new planets etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: