The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Collection of Auto-fire house rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Collection of Auto-fire house rules
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BreederofPuppets
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Collection of Auto-fire house rules Reply with quote

Lots of folks have come up with their own rules for fully automatic and burst fire in the d6 system. As a matter of fact, here are three I found on this website alone (listed by poster):

Liam (Gunman) Kissane
Falcon79
Dread Pirate Al

Since I figure what’s good for the goose is good for the gander, here is my entry in this arena. Yes, they were adapted from the Silhouette system. They were intended to be quick and easy there, so they should be quick and easy here:

Each fire arm has a Rate of Fire rating, usually between 1-3. Assault rifles and blasters (military grade, non-sniper rifle) usually have 1, sub-machine guns (sub-repeaters) & machine guns (repeaters) have 2, and chain guns (specific built to fire very rapidly) have 3. Any firearm with a RoF bonus may do one of the following:

Burst Fire: Firing a burst uses five rounds per RoF used and requires an action. Each level of RoF the shooter chooses to use grants a 1d6 to either the attack roll or the damage total.

For example, a pirate with a sub-repeater (ROF 2) who fires a burst can either gain a +2d6 to hit, a +1d6 to hit and a +1d6 to damage, or +2d6 damage. This is a single action, and used 5 rounds from the weapon.

Spray: Any weapon with a RoF bonus may spray, striking at several targets. Each spray uses 10 rounds per RoF used, and requires an action. The user can strike a number of targets equal to the RoF+1, and each target must be within a meter of each other (a shooter may “waste” a shot between targets) . The shooter makes one attack roll and each defender may roll their dodge. Again, if the shooter is using a weapon with a high RoF may split the RoF, choosing between striking multiple targets, and bonus to hit (not to damage)

For example, pirate with a sub-repeater (ROF 2), fires at a pair of security guards. The guards are close to each other, and the pirate chooses to spray both. Since he can choose to hit three targets (RoF+1, or 3 in this case) he instead attack both targets and adds +1d6 to the attack roll. In either case, this attack takes an action, and burns 20 rounds out of the weapon.

Suppressive Fire: Suppressive Fire is when the shooter attacks an area, and not a specific target. The shooter chooses an area up to 1 meter per RoF used, and makes a standard attack roll. Anyone in that area or moving through that area until the shooter’s next action is subject to attack. Suppressive fire requires 20 rounds per RoF used, and is a full round action.

For example, our now favorite pirate figures some more security guards will arrive around the corner, so he puts a long stream of blaster bolts into it. He picks the two meter area starting centimeters away from the corner and fills it full of blaster fire. Anyone who passes into that area must defend against his attack. He can do nothing else this round, and uses up 40 rounds from his sub-repeater, but anyone entering that area must defend against the attack.

Why these rules? They’re quick, yet look effective. It’s just one roll per burst, spray, or suppressive fire. The greater number of shots can increase the chances of hitting (bonus to attack), represent multiple hits (bonus to damage) or both. As far as effectiveness, I think it’s about the same. With a automatic blaster pistol (say 4D, RoF 2) you can target two opponents, and gain a +1d6 damage (or 5D) each. Against a tougher opponent, that 4D becomes a 6D. Against a high strength-and-armor target, this should be about as effective as three 4D shots, without the penalties to hit for multiple actions.

Or, against the tough-to-hit targets, volume of fire can partial substitute for skill.

Anyhow, since this is my first post, I’d really appreciate some feedback. What do yawl think?

Edited to make some changes to Spray.

Last edited by BreederofPuppets on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has definite merit. I like it. My first instinct is to say that spray hitting ROF+1 is a little low, but that's me.

Congrats on your first post!
BreederofPuppets
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
It has definite merit. I like it. My first instinct is to say that spray hitting ROF+1 is a little low, but that's me.

Per action. So, with a auto-blaster (say your common assault blaster with an ROF of 1), your hitting (well, attacking) two targets as one action, or hit four to two actions (or both targets twice), etc.

Hm, I think Spray and burst are about the same, save spray has a plus one to ROF. I gotta fix that.

Anyhow, an exploit I saw was firing a burst at two targets, using the ROF bonus to add to attack rolls. With a ROF of +1, you attack with no reduction in to-hit rolls (-1D MAP, +1D auto fire). With a ROF of +2, that's three targets, no penalty. I wonder if this is an issue, or just the way the cookie crumbles.

jmanski wrote:
Congrats on your first post!

Thanks! I'm thrilled at least one person actually like it. Or rather, doesn't outright hate it.
jmanski

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kewl.

Quote:
I'm thrilled at least one person actually like it. Or rather, doesn't outright hate it.

Nah. We only hate the vile d20, and even then its only some of us.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To some weapons I add X Autofire dice to the stats. Most of the time this is +1D, the highest is +3D for a 'gatling' type blaster cannon. This bonus die can either be used as a bonus to hit(adds to skill), or as a bonus to damage(adds to damage). Each die also allowed the character to 'spray' a 2m target area, having a chance to hit everyone within that area for basic damage. I dont recall the specific rules regarding hitting those within the area though..

This way automatic weapons exists, but does not completely dominate the game which I find a bit non-SW (as an old Grognard). I find that good balanced rules for automatic fire are very hard to find in most RPGs. Therefore I have chosen this rather abstract way of handling autofire.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

Nah. We only hate the vile d20, and even then its only some of us.

An entity* after my own heart.

*Forum usernames are so amorphous, I try to avoid making assumptions of gender or species.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
An entity* after my own heart.

*Forum usernames are so amorphous, I try to avoid making assumptions of gender or species.

Understandable. Also very much more Star Wars sounding, if I may say so myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: