The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Whole New System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Whole New System Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xun Ximuun
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Whole New System Reply with quote

Myself, I've never really been one to adhere to rules systems...I've always preferred to make my own, or try other rules systems on different games.

For a while I tried using this d6 system with other types of games (And I played at least one game with this star wars game) but in each case I found that the numbers varied too greatly...you could get 10 or you could get 60, thats a major range right there. Also it was difficult for new players to learn (for some reason) and when they finally understood how it worked, it takes them forever to count up all the dice (Not forever really, but long enough to be annoying when it happens every combat round)

Anyway, I have come up with a mix between the D6 System and the Whitewolf system that works really well. Just roll all the dice in your dice pool and count each one that is a 4, 5, or 6 as a success....On the wild die, a 6 counts as 2 successes and a 1 counts as a -1 success.

This is way faster to count up and the universal standard becomes much much easier...because the difficulty can be set up on a scale from 1 to 10.

Also (for the newer players) the force system is sort of complicated. I set it up that the Force Sensitivity is like an attribute, and instead of using all those special skills, they get a few specials, and they can add their force sensitivity to any die roll where they could concievably use the force to help themselves out. Like Conning for mind tricks, lightsaber/melee parry for deflection, first aid for healing, dodging, stuff like that. Dealing with pure energy and control and stuff like that is solely a force sense roll.

Of course for this I also had to write up new darkside and force point rules.
Force points still double your dice, but darkside points can be used to add one free success to your roll. This makes it tempting to use them, but every time you do you roll a 1d6 and add that to your darkside pool....for a normal character they become evil at some prechosen number, like 50 or 30 depending on how hard you want the game to be. For Jedi its different...for each 10 in their darkside pool, one of their Force sensitivity attributes converts into a Darkside Sensitivity attribute. This acts the same way as force sensitivity only it has a few different special skills.

Anyway, I'm not trying to say my system is better than the normal system, I just find it easier, and I wonder what other people think of my variations.

---Anaru Timoti, Dark Jedi
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try playing the game shadowrun... it's exactly the same as that Razz
well, not exactly... but close enough...

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Xun Ximuun
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, yeah, but shadowrun isn't as fun as Star Wars.

---Anaru Timoti, Dark Jedi
zarkempt
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowrun is fun, polyclubbers beware!
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think crell meant to use the shadowrun rules on starwars.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's exactly what i meant Wink Razz

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever makes you life simpler as a GM and doesn't ruin the game for the players is a good thing. 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Liquidsabre
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have entertained the idea of using the WW die-resolution system for d6 to alleviate problems with too much die-counting and it's absolutely brilliant! It's so much faster and the system provides further depth that the overly simplistic d6 difficulty numbers lack. I love it, and I have a tough time imagining why the d6 game couldn't have gone this route itself.

Not only do you have difficulty numbers (you can base 3, 4, 5, 6) for determining the number of successes rolled, but you can also scale the difficulty of the task (i.e. scale it between skilled and the not-so skilled) by altering the number of successes required to succeed at a task. This is also a useful tool for achieving tasks that may require more than 1 action to complete and characters with greater skill are morel ikely to complete these tasks sooner.

Xun Ximuun I like using the wild die as the classic two successs and a 1 subtracting a success, or if there are no successes to take away - a critical failure occurs.

I'm curious why the change to darkside points, why not just have them add dice if they choose to use them as normal? So 2 DSPs would provide the character with 2 extra dice to their dice pool, correct?

I've worked out the difficulty numbers I think so that 2 = very easy, 3 = easy, 4 = moderate, 5 = difficult, 6 = very difficult, 7+ = heroic (i.e. 6 and roll a 2+, etc.). I'm unsure how and when to apply the requirements for multiple successes for different skills and tasks.

It's works easily enough for combat naturally; just roll damage dice at a moderate difficulty (4) while the character hit rolls strength dice (same difficulty, 4) and the numeber of strength successes is subtracted from the damage successes. After the subtraction, any damage die successes left over are used to calculate how hurt the character is:

1 success = stun
2 successes = wounded
3 successes = incapacitated
4 successes = mortally wounded
5+ successes = killed

Character points spent add a die to the roll as normal and force points double the die-pool as normal. Everything works pretty much the same both numbers wise (I believe) just less counting and much faster. Plus you get an additional mechanic to vary the difficulty of skill use - the number of successes combined with the difficulty numbers. I'm still not 100% on how and when to apply a greater difficulty number versus increasing the number of successes required. Any advice?

Once we hammer out a good system for using the success-failure system in d6 I can't imagine why anyone would want to play d6 any other way - provided the system works, I've really only recently strarted playing with the mechanics of it. Can any rules mechanic-minded gamers out there lend a hand? Point potential trouble/weak spots or lend a hand to figuring this thing out?
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are referring to, for the system, was actually put out by West End Games. It is called D6 Legend. It was meant to speed up the game, reduce the math, and generally reduce the amount of variables.

Out of curiosity, what did your players NOT understand about rolling the dice and adding them up?
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What you are referring to, for the system, was actually put out by West End Games. It is called D6 Legend. It was meant to speed up the game, reduce the math, and generally reduce the amount of variables.

Cool! When did this come out?

Personally I think this system works fine as it is...but if you guys want to tinker I'd be interested to see what you come up with.
Xzil Maru
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Whole New System Reply with quote

Xun Ximuun wrote:
...Also it was difficult for new players to learn (for some reason) and when they finally understood how it worked, it takes them forever to count up all the dice...

I'm glad I haven't met anyone who has this problem. Indeed D6 seems to be the easiest system for players to learn. At least in the groups I've played in. I don't understand what could be so difficult about add up dice, unless you've got a bucket full.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Even when dicepools get into the 10+ range I have no real problem with the maths.

Maybe I'm just used to much slower and clunkier systems, I dunno.

I know if you're used to D&D maybe the pause can seem irritating. It's definetely a little slower than "roll 1d20 plus your modifier."

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The math? Just group the dice by 5's and 10's... My goodness, I played d20 years ago- it takes about 6 days to figure out what number you need to beat on a skill roll.

d6 gives you a nice bell curve, for you statistics buffs out there.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Whole New System Reply with quote

Idea
Xun Ximuun wrote:
...but in each case I found that the numbers varied too greatly...you could get 10 or you could get 60, thats a major range right there. Also it was difficult for new players to learn (for some reason) and when they finally understood how it worked, it takes them forever to count up all the dice (Not forever really, but long enough to be annoying when it happens every combat round)

If too many dice slow your players down, how about using the Star Wars Miniatures Battles rules? The players roll one die and add a modifier. The modifier equals however many dice the character has (4D becomes +4). The success numbers are easy=6, moderate=8, difficult=10. A 1 always fails and a 6 adds another die roll. This allows the players to use a simpler form of the WEG rules. I've used this when the player characters are part of a major battle and it worked well.
Liquidsabre
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:

Out of curiosity, what did your players NOT understand about rolling the dice and adding them up?

Wow thanks Grimace I'll check it out, sounds perfect!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: