The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Query: How many Character Points would you suggest....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Query: How many Character Points would you suggest....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Query: How many Character Points would you suggest.... Reply with quote

....it would take to advance any NPC about 34 years (e.g. CP/year)?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with one character point per year if they were just keeping out of history's way and up to five character points per year if they had an awesome, well researched background detailing what historical events they were involved in.

Obviously it'd be near impossible to get five character points per year for all of the thirty four years.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I'd go with one character point per year if they were just keeping out of history's way and up to five character points per year if they had an awesome, well researched background detailing what historical events they were involved in.

Obviously it'd be near impossible to get five character points per year for all of the thirty four years.

And what would you suggest for Luke Skywalker, Mara Jade Skywalker, Leia Organa Solo, Han Solo, Jacen and Jaina Solo, etc?
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For essential NPC's (in my humble but nonetheless steadfast opinion) character points do not apply.

Give them skills, attributes, force points and unspent character points as you see fit and thats it. If you need to develop two different versions for them (i.e. time travel adventures), think about what skills they may have picked up, developed or neglected and raise or lower them according to what you think might be a good idea.

I personally never bothered with character point calculations for NPC's anyway.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Akari on this one. You shouldn't be doing character point progression on essential NPCs. They're not PCs. What I would do is use your best guess as to what a character would be like, by looking at the difference between Luke at the Original Trilogy, the Thrawn Trilogy, and the Jedi Acadmey Trilogy. Use your best guess to extrapolate from there.

My guess is that you will have a significant slowdown in his skills after the Jedi Academy. There is only so much someone can learn, and Luke has to hit his cap sometime.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari wrote:
For essential NPC's (in my humble but nonetheless steadfast opinion) character points do not apply.

Give them skills, attributes, force points and unspent character points as you see fit and thats it. If you need to develop two different versions for them (i.e. time travel adventures), think about what skills they may have picked up, developed or neglected and raise or lower them according to what you think might be a good idea.

Its kinda essential, due to the fact that I and another are currently in the process of writing a new fan sourcebook for the 9-book Legacy of the Force arc, and I've decided to include D6 stats for everything. And when you have a character as strong as Luke is in the Force, and Leia is finally a Jedi Knight, and so on, its kinda important to have an quasi-accurate stat portrayal of major characters.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not e-mail Peter Schweighoffer and ask him how they used to do it? He's been pretty open with me when I've asked him questions. He might give you some indication as to what is the best methodology. Personally, I'd be amazed if they did it by CP calculation.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treefrog wrote:
Akari wrote:

Its kinda essential, due to the fact that I and another are currently in the process of writing a new fan sourcebook for the 9-book Legacy of the Force arc, and I've decided to include D6 stats for everything. And when you have a character as strong as Luke is in the Force, and Leia is finally a Jedi Knight, and so on, its kinda important to have an quasi-accurate stat portrayal of major characters.

yup, just make a chr, and allocate points where you see fit. look at luke and make him the "power max" and scale this person down from there.

thats not saying this chr coudl have better non force related skills Smile

just add points where you see fit Smile

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treefrog wrote:
And what would you suggest for Luke Skywalker, Mara Jade Skywalker, Leia Organa Solo, Han Solo, Jacen and Jaina Solo, etc?

I'm with everyone else on this one. For NPCs I'd just consider what they've achieved and then stat them accordingly. Obviously if they trained a bunch of people in the force then they're going to need some force powers.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reiteration time!
Base traits on the narrative; how Powerful/good are they in a trait... make them that powerful.

In a game I was playing, we were playing alternate versions of the movie time line and I spent time calculating main character advancement movie to movie and they were in the range of (iirc) 60ish for characters like Chewbacca and over 150 for Luke in the year frame between ANH and ESB. That should give you an idea if you're stuck on a CP buy method

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With me, active NPCS such as those enemies of the pcs who thwart them when they can earn a flat 6+1d4 per month. I base this on one of our modules (regardless of the module) is worth a base 7cp (some 6) with 1-3 bonus points for good rp. I give the same consideration to the npcs...
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did as some suggested, and just extrapolated their stats. I have done some of them, and because there are no sure-fire ways of converting from Saga Edition to D6, I just made my own best guess.

So far I have Cal Omas, Grand Admiral Pellaeon, Syal Antilles, and Luke Skywalker done.

Anyone want to critique my efforts, please PM me.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you don't want a public critique?
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I take it you don't want a public critique?

No, not at all....

Matter of fact, here's Grand Admiral Pellaeon (circa 2nd Battle of Fondor - LotF):

Gilad Pellaeon – D6 Stats
Type: Imperial Grand Admiral
DEXTERITY 2D+2
Blaster 9D+2, blaster: blaster pistol 10D+2, dodge 9D, grenade 8D+2, melee 8D+1, melee parry 7D+1, missile weapons 7D+2
KNOWLEDGE 3D
Alien species 7D+2, bureaucracy 9D, business 7D, cultures 6D+2, intimidation 9D, languages 7D+2, law enforcement 7D, law enforcement: Imperial law 10D+2, planetary systems 11D+2, tactics 10D, tactics: capital ships 12D+2, tactics: ground assault tactics 11D+1, value 8D, willpower 9D+2
MECHANICAL 3D+2
Astrogation 10D+2, capital ship gunnery 8D, capital ship gunnery: concussion missiles 9D, capital ship piloting 11D, capital ship piloting: Imperial Star Destroyer 13D+1, capital ship shields 9D, communications 8D, repulsorlift operation 8D, sensors 8D, space transports 8D+1
PERCEPTION 3D+1
Bargain 8D, command 9D+2, command: Imperial Navy officers 11D, command: Imperial Moffs 11D+2, con 8D, gambling 7D, hide 8D, search 9D+2, sneak 8D
STRENGTH 2D+1
Brawling 3D+1, stamina 8D
TECHNICAL 3D
Capital ship repair 7D, capital ship weapon repair 6D, computer programming/repair 6D+2, demolitions 6D, droid programming 6D, droid repair 4D+2, first aid 8D, repulsorlift repair 5D+2, security 10D
Force Points: 5
Character Points: 32
Move: 10
Equipment: blaster pistol (4D), datapad, code cylinder, long-range Comlink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: