The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Legacy of the Force Sourcebook: Taking any help I can get
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Legacy of the Force Sourcebook: Taking any help I can get Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Treefrog wrote:
The format adjustments that I noticed (that were glaring) were very minor, thankfully.

As it stands today, the 2nd Draft (not including the front and back covers) is now over 200 pages.

Woot!

In your 2nd draft of chapter 1, while you did fix a few things, Treefrog, there were quite a few more errors that I found but you missed.

But then, that's why I'm the editor. And you're not. So Razz on you.

Mr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. Green8)

Seriously, gang, I think you're gonna love the Legacy of the Force fanbook once it's ready. We've made HUGE improvements on it since Treefrog showed us the 1st draft back in February. Barring any unforeseen interruptions involving Real Life (TM), I should have the 1st Draft of Chapter 1 done in a day or two, then comes editing all of Draft 2. With a bit of luck, that won't take too long.

Mr. Green Mr. Green Ah so its a nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyaaah type of response huh? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treefrog wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Treefrog wrote:
The format adjustments that I noticed (that were glaring) were very minor, thankfully.

As it stands today, the 2nd Draft (not including the front and back covers) is now over 200 pages.

Woot!

In your 2nd draft of chapter 1, while you did fix a few things, Treefrog, there were quite a few more errors that I found but you missed.

But then, that's why I'm the editor. And you're not. So Razz on you.

Mr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. GreenMr. Green8)

Seriously, gang, I think you're gonna love the Legacy of the Force fanbook once it's ready. We've made HUGE improvements on it since Treefrog showed us the 1st draft back in February. Barring any unforeseen interruptions involving Real Life (TM), I should have the 1st Draft of Chapter 1 done in a day or two, then comes editing all of Draft 2. With a bit of luck, that won't take too long.

Mr. Green Mr. Green Ah so its a nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyaaah type of response huh? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I highly doubt you could have reasonably expected anything more mature on this forum... 8)

By the by, peeps, Treefrog just gave me the Second Draft of the LotF fanbook. There are still a few errors here and there to fix, but it looks GORGEOUS. If Treefrog and I were lazy, we'd release it now...but then again, if we were lazy, we wouldn't have made it this far in the first place. Razz

Hell, just think: if I hadn't volunteered to edit the book, Treefrog would have just called it a day after he released his original version in his earlier post back in February. Remember my initial reaction to that eyesore?

Sutehp wrote:
DEAR SWEET MERCIFUL GAWDS, MY POOR DAMAGED USELESS EYES!!!!

Indeed, such things do not bear further contemplation. 8)

I have to finish editing the Second Draft before we can release it, but at least the hardest part is done. Treefrog and I will keep you posted.

EDIT: I just went back to the earlier posts in this thread and oddly enough, it's 2 months to the day that Treefrog released his original v1.2 draft (what I call the first draft, because that's the first draft I began to edit). This book has come a LONG way in just 2 months, if I do say so myself.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just posting to let everyone know that I just finished editing chapter 6 of the Second Draft. Chapters 7-10 shouldn't take too much longer, hopefully only a few days. Then, once Treefrog sends me the Third Draft, I'll fix some harmonization issues (checking that labels and headers are consistent throughout the book, among other things) and perform one more book-wide edit to make sure there are no issues left to fix. Once that's done, Treefrog will post the Fourth and Final Draft of the Legacy of the Force D20/D6 fanbook for general release to the public. And I'll put it in my Google Docs so it can be downloaded through my signature as well.

This is an educated guess, but barring any unforeseen circumstances, I think we'll have the Final Copy ready between 2 to 4 weeks from now. This may be subject to change, of course, but that's my best guess at present.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To echo Sutehp:

The Second Draft is humming along.

[Introspection]: I really must thank Sutehp for his editing skills. That, and putting up with my bull-headedness with some things. Laughing

I also need to say this: The LotFSB is shaping up to be the best sourcebook that I've ever had the privilege to pen. With this being the third sourcebook I've ever done, that's saying alot.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treefrog wrote:
To echo Sutehp:

[Introspection]: I really must thank Sutehp for his editing skills. That, and putting up with my bull-headedness with some things. Laughing

I also need to say this: The LotFSB is shaping up to be the best sourcebook that I've ever had the privilege to pen. With this being the third sourcebook I've ever done, that's saying alot.

Eh, I've had my share of "bull-headedness" working on this project too. (Remember the 8km to 19km Executor/Super Star Destroyer argument we had?) That sort of thing (the bull-headedness, not the 8km-19km argument Razz ) is common in any collaborative effort. People are gonna disagree; what matters is creating a compromise that allows all parties to get at least some of what they want.

And Treefrog, we still gotta discuss the Droids chapter again, so we both might be seeing more of that bull-headedness thing some more soon enough...

And what were the other two books you worked on Treefrog? this is the first I've heard of them...
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Treefrog wrote:
To echo Sutehp:

Eh, I've had my share of "bull-headedness" working on this project too. (Remember the 8km to 19km Executor/Super Star Destroyer argument we had?) That sort of thing (the bull-headedness, not the 8km-19km argument Razz ) is common in any collaborative effort. People are gonna disagree; what matters is creating a compromise that allows all parties to get at least some of what they want.

And Treefrog, we still gotta discuss the Droids chapter again, so we both might be seeing more of that bull-headedness thing some more soon enough...

And what were the other two books you worked on Treefrog? this is the first I've heard of them...

You wouldn't have heard of the previous two sourcebooks, considering they dealt solely with Revised d20 stats and nothing else. However, if you're still curious, their names are:

The Rise of the Empire Infinities Sourcebook, and its sequel, The Rebellion Era Infinities Sourcebook.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah, D20-only Infinities sourcebooks?

I mean...Infinities sourcebooks? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

*runs away screaming into the night, never to return*

*runs back to make a snarky retort*

Holy damn, but you were really scraping the bottom of the barrel in those days, weren't you?

*runs away screaming into the night again, this time to never really return*
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent the Chapter 7 and Chapter 8 corrections of the Second Draft to Treefrog; he's currently implementing the Chapter 6 corrections, which gives me a bit of lead time to edit chapter 9: Starships.

I'm gonna need that lead time because Ch. 9 is the 2nd biggest chapter in the book, a whopping 30 pages. Still and all, there hopefully won't be too many errors to correct, but inspecting that many pages with a fine-tooth comb (filled with complicated statistics to boot!) is still gonna take a while.

The work continues.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Gah, D20-only Infinities sourcebooks?

I mean...Infinities sourcebooks? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

*runs away screaming into the night, never to return*

*runs back to make a snarky retort*

Holy d*mn, but you were really scraping the bottom of the barrel in those days, weren't you?

*runs away screaming into the night again, this time to never really return*

Now, why'd you have to go and do that?

I'll have you know, I did some of my most creative work while doing those sourcebooks. Plus they were fun to do.
Treefrog
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say this about editors: they sure know how to get more out of a subject/idea than what was originally offered.

For example: the backgrounds of Jagged Fel and Lando Calrissian. Both are getting expanded write-ups in Chapter 6.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treefrog wrote:
I will say this about editors: they sure know how to get more out of a subject/idea than what was originally offered.

For example: the backgrounds of Jagged Fel and Lando Calrissian. Both are getting expanded write-ups in Chapter 6.

I don't know that I did anything to get more out of a subject. You provided the extra paragraphs for Jag Fel, for instance. Then again, I did have to add a few things about Ziost, for example. The Galactic Lore DC Checks for Ziost had to be rewritten because the original stuff made reference to Lumiya's lightwhip being made on Ziost, which is something that could never qualify as common knowledge that the average citizen would know about Ziost. And then there was the thing about Ziost being colonized by the Sith when they abandoned Korriban after the Great Hyperspace War, which also isn't true; Ziost was already long part of the Sith Empire by then, they just moved their capital to Ziost after 5,000 BBY.

All I did was research the subjects on Wookieepedia as I edited them to make sure I knew what I was writing about. I don't know that I got "more out of the subject than what was originally offered;" I just wanted to make sure I knew what I was writing/editing/talking about. That's just basic competence. And who could be opposed to that? Shocked Shocked Shocked

*looks around his home city of Washington, D.C.*

*coughs*
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent off the Starships Chapter Second Draft corrections to Treefrog.

...Oy.

A true Herculean slog if ever there was one. Aside from the run of the mill editing errors, I had to deal with comparing the D20 and D6 weapons stats for each ship...and at least half of the ships had weapon complements that didn't match between the 2 sets of stats. Dealing with that was a mess, but at least Treefrog, who knows both the D20 and D6 systems better than I do, has been alerted to the discrepancies and will take care of them.

All that's left on the Second Draft is the Droids chapter (and the Back Cover) and that should be ALOT easier.

Ok, I'm off to watch Rogue One or Kung Fu Panda 3 or something (well, anything) to help me unwind.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent the Chapter 10: Droids 2nd draft corrections to Treefrog. He's partway through chapter 9 now, so he should have the Third Draft ready for me hopefully within a week or so.

The work continues.

(Now if i could only find a way to fix Comical.... Not to mention that I need a new BluRay player, because I think my old one just gave up the ghost...)
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Not to mention that I need a new BluRay player, because I think my old one just gave up the ghost...)

I feel your pain. Last year my son and I went to watch a Star Wars movie and the blu-ray player wouldn't play it. This was my first blu-ray player and no its firmware had never been updated, but there was no easy way to do it with its primary remote missing and no easy way to connect it to the internet and tell it to update. So we just went to Best Buy that day and bought a new blu-ray player. Today blu-rays are much better. Our new blu-ray receives wi-fi and I set it to update automatically. It has Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu and other apps pre-loaded on to it so we can stream content through the blu-ray player.

It's played Star Wars and any other blu-rays fine, until last week when I tried to watch Young Guns which was my first DVD and later my first blu-ray disc - I still have both copies. It wouldn't play the blu-ray at all and it wouldn't display the film correctly on the widescreen side of the DVD correctly, but I've read they were poorly produced products. The movie is not on any of our streaming subscriptions so I have to wait for a new DVD to be released next month to watch it. This home video technical advancement is a vicious cycle. I am extremely resistant to this "4K" format out now.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just managed to get my bluray player working once more to watch Kung Fu Panda 3 and Rogue One this evening. Then when I tried to watch ANH, the player malfunctioned again. It's a pain in the @$$ to jury-rig it every other disc I put in, so it's time to get a new bluray player and donate the old one to Good Will.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: