The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Killing a Krayt Dragon..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Killing a Krayt Dragon.. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Killing a Krayt Dragon.. Reply with quote

Reading Tatooine Manhunt and the encounter with Krayt Dragons.

It seems the adventure wants the PCs to help tackle 3 Dragons that are attacking some Bounty Hunters. (If they dont, they encounter one of their own). A Dragon has STR 12D. How the heck are they supposed to even put a dent on one? Given stats of other NPCs one can assume that the PCs are not supposed to be über-Jedis or such...

Am I missiong something? Anyone played it? How did you handle it?
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on how the GM handles called shots and such. Not knowing the lay of the terrain or anything like that. I would say, called shots to the eyes to blind the thing, and maybe throw a thermal detonator down the thing's throat. Which if I were GMing, for the eye shots I'd be giving the thing maybe half soak, and for the internal explosion maybe a quarter of it's strength to soak. But, that again depends on the GM. Also, laying traps with demolitions skill, if one uses enough detonite, you can get well above 12D damage. Especially since detonite damages speeder scale.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had experimented with converting large creatures body strength to hit points at one point. I'm trying to remember if I was pleased with the result or not.

I know that in another supplement, Domain of Evil, the characters could push rocks on top of the creature doing something like 10D damage. Never underestimate environmental factors. Some things just can't be shot. But there are other options.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Killing a Krayt Dragon.. Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Reading Tatooine Manhunt and the encounter with Krayt Dragons.

It seems the adventure wants the PCs to help tackle 3 Dragons that are attacking some Bounty Hunters. (If they dont, they encounter one of their own). A Dragon has STR 12D. How the heck are they supposed to even put a dent on one? Given stats of other NPCs one can assume that the PCs are not supposed to be über-Jedis or such...

Am I missiong something? Anyone played it? How did you handle it?

...Never underestimate the possibilities of Thermal Detonators (10D). 8)

...That aside, the trick to this is with combined actions--which shows the importance of working with others for common good ( a typical Star Wars theme, especially since the PCs are supposed to be the good guys). A PC with a high enough Command skill can try getting the bumbling bounty hunters on the overloaded sailbarge to fire in unison &/or combine fire with the PCs. Though Sail Barges do not come with weapons (aside from Jabba's, of course), they carry hundreds of passengers...& the barge carrying said bounty hunters was crammed to overflowing: even hold-out blasters get helacious if there are over 100 being fired in unision! Wink

...That's how I handled it anyway. The other option is to push that landspeeder to specs & beyond escaping (logical, though not very heroic).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup./ Combined fire is the way to go. One home session where i was a player (back in england) we had the 6 of us PCs, 18 rebel operatives on our side, and 50 or so stormies and their accompaning officers. Our group got 'surprised' while we were battling by 2 Krayats... I used persuasion on the imps lead officer to call for a temp truce to take them frakers down.

Since each person can command up to their D in command (or as the gm played it, double for experienced troops, which is how both he and i run imps), those 8 officers could command all 50 troops, 3 of our pcs can command those 18 fellow rebels, and the remaining 3 of us command the 'commanders'.. THATs 80 people getting commanded!
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once thing about Tatooine Manhunt is that is was done during 1st Edtion, when combined fire was more effective.

As for the dragon, PCs do have the option of spending character pints for more damage. If a PC waits until he get a good damage roll, he could luck out and do some serious damage-especially with combined fire.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True they can, but iirc the book says using character points to increase damage is evil. AND they can only spend upto 2 cp on it.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, Ill hint of combined fire or firing at specific body parts..

Problem is that I think 4D is the highest command anyone has...and commanding in several 'layers' just ends up being silly (at least under the 'One pip per D' rule we are using. On the other hand, given that Krayts are rather big, combining AND shooting at vulnerable areas should be possible.

I dont allow using CPs for anything but raising skills.
Dan Solo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speeder-scale weaponry Very Happy

Heck, maybe even Walker- or Starfighter-scale weapons, if the PCs can find something on short notice.
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run like hell into a rocky canyon with outcroppings above, and when the krayt is positioned well, fire at the rocks above to fall on it. At best, I'd give a 6D speeder scale damage on the krayt.
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Finbat Reply with quote

This baby might do the trick:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/J8Q-128_Finbat_Missile

Model:
Kessler J8Q-128 Finbat Missile
Type:
Anti-walker missile
Scale:
Character
Skill:
Missile weapons
Ammo:
1 missile per launcher
Cost:
Availability:
R, X
Body:
1D
Range:
0-50/250/500
Damage:
12D
Game Notes:

On Target:
If the attacker’s result, compared to the difficulty number, is less than or equal to 7, then the weapon was not fired accurately and the Finbat’s damage result is automatically halved.
Interception:
Because the Finbat is slow on takeoff, the missile takes at least two round to reach a Long Range target and may be fired upon before it strikes. The difficulty level of shooting down a Finbat under flight is Very Difficult. If struck, compare the attacker’s damage with the Finbat’s own Body attribute.
Source:
Gundark’s Fantastic Technology (pages 40-41)

I never understood why this thing was character scale... especially since its designed to take out walkers.

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
True they can, but iirc the book says using character points to increase damage is evil. AND they can only spend upto 2 cp on it.

May be evil. It depends of circumstances. Just like spending a force point to blow up a space station filled with hundred of thousands of people could be evil.

In this case the PCs are not trying to be vicious, but are trying to save the lives of the hapless bountry hunters.
jorlan vinn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with atgxtg.the PCs are trying to save the bounty hunters.now if they dont help them and encounter one of thier own it would be evil because they are trying to save themselves.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...If 1 PC is a Bounty Hunter, then that's at least 1 Thermal Detonator on hand, which helps immensely.

...I think the Finbat missile was listed as Character scale for a number of reasons:
1=If it were a scale or two higher, PCs would be probably be using them as they would Blasters (shunning anything less powerful)
2=It's not unlike the Proton Torpedoes for a Zero-G Stormtrooper, which are also Character Scale.
3=The weapon needed to be portable, something larger weapons are not typically.
&
4=Walkers of every type have some weak point that even a Character Scale weapon can be used against (an AT-AT's neck & head assembly, hatches, structural points, varying degree of protection--I have a character that dropped 2 AT-STs with an E-Web--varying mobility, & the list goes on).
...Plus, who can forget that scene in The Empire Strikes Back when Luke single-handedly drops an AT-AT on Hoth... Wink
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:
...If 1 PC is a Bounty Hunter, then that's at least 1 Thermal Detonator on hand, which helps immensely.

...I think the Finbat missile was listed as Character scale for a number of reasons:
1=If it were a scale or two higher, PCs would be probably be using them as they would Blasters (shunning anything less powerful)
2=It's not unlike the Proton Torpedoes for a Zero-G Stormtrooper, which are also Character Scale.
3=The weapon needed to be portable, something larger weapons are not typically.
&
4=Walkers of every type have some weak point that even a Character Scale weapon can be used against (an AT-AT's neck & head assembly, hatches, structural points, varying degree of protection--I have a character that dropped 2 AT-STs with an E-Web--varying mobility, & the list goes on).
...Plus, who can forget that scene in The Empire Strikes Back when Luke single-handedly drops an AT-AT on Hoth... Wink

Ok to clarify.

The PCs are on a skiff, with no walker availible..
I think one has a thermal, but thats still 10D damage vs 12D Str. hard for 'called' shots with a are weapon...but the idea of throwing it down 'the hatch' (mouth) is a good one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: