The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Questions about Acrobatics and Force powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Questions about Acrobatics and Force powers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Questions about Acrobatics and Force powers Reply with quote

I've been wondering about certain powers and a skill for a while now, so I thought I post these questions on the boards here and see if anyone can come up with a solution.

I know that when a Jedi uses his of her lightsaber, he or she uses lightsaber combat to help wield it and to deflect fire. I also know that combat sense "highlights" the enemies in the Jedi's mind. So, when a Jedi faces off aginst pirates or stormtroopers, he or she can use the combination of combat sense and lightsaber combat against the enemies. Can this combination work against droids or the Yuuzhan Vong as well? In either case, the Jedi needs to use lightsaber combat to deflect the blaster bolts or the thud bugs and to better control the lightsaber, even if he or she can't sense the intentions of the opponent. What I'm wondering is whether or not combat sense would be effective against such opponents. I think it would be against the Yuuzhan Vong, but in an indirect manner. Since they can't be sensed in the Force, they become "holes" in the Jedi's "radar" so as to speak. A different form of "highlighting" in the Jedi's mind, but they would be "highlighted" anyway. Droids, on the other hand, are more questionable. Yet I recall Luke being able to sense Threepio approaching him in Heir to the Empire.

I have a similar question about danger sense. Would a Jedi's danger sense alert him to an apporaching droideka or a Yuuzhan Vong warrior? I think it's questionable for the former and indirectly for the latter.

And to clarify something, for the above questions, the Jedi doesn't have Anakin's lambent or Jacen's and Tahiri's Vongsense.

The other Force power I have questions about is sever Force.
Jacen was able to use this power against Ben in Inferno, so the restrictions on the number of DSP's is no longer valid, right? I mean, Jacen most likely has more than three DSP's at that point, and Ben certainly has less than four.
Next, Nomi and the others used this on Ulic in order to capture him after he invaded Coruscant, and Vergere used this on Jacen. But both Ulic and Jacen were able to use the Force later. So I guess the power must either be "kept" up, or once activated, the power last for a finite amount of time, which is determined by the Alter roll. Right? In Ulic's case, that roll must have been more than Heroic.
The last question concerns Tholme apparently "cutting" himself from the Force in Siege of Saleucami in order to hide his presence from the other Jedi, light and dark. Yet towards the end, he was able to reconnect with the Force. That is connected to the previous question. What I don't understand is this: the description of Sever Force seemed to indicate this power can only be used on others, not on oneself. So how could Tholme have done that?. If it is possible, then the description needs to be changed. Either that, or Tholme used something that's a combination of this power and the d20 Force skill Force stealth.

As for the skill, it's Acrobatics. Is that a Dexterity or a Strength skill? I've been thinking it's a Strength skill, but it seems more like a Dexterity skill. So which one
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droids are not "blanks" in the Force in any way. Even though they are not lifeforms, a Jedi can feel their presence, actions and intentions through the Force just as easily. The Force permeates everything, you, me, the tree, the rock, and therefore, the droid.

The Vong, however, are a whole different can of worms. They ARE a blank in the Force, so I don't think you can effectively use any Force powers that interact with them in any way.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for the skill, it's Acrobatics. Is that a Dexterity or a Strength skill? I've been thinking it's a Strength skill, but it seems more like a Dexterity skill. So which one

Acrobatics is listed by WEG under Dexterity. Don't remember which book it was in.

I see your point and have wondered which it is also. I guess Running and Balance are Dexterity skills, so Acrobatics should be, too.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Droids are not "blanks" in the Force in any way. Even though they are not lifeforms, a Jedi can feel their presence, actions and intentions through the Force just as easily. The Force permeates everything, you, me, the tree, the rock, and therefore, the droid.

The Vong, however, are a whole different can of worms. They ARE a blank in the Force, so I don't think you can effectively use any Force powers that interact with them in any way.

I agree with you Gry in that you can't use combat sense, danger sense, life detection, and sense Force against the Vong directly. But as the Jedi learned to do, they can detect them indirectly by sensing the "blank areas" in the Force. So in an indirect way, most Jedi can use sense Force and life detection against them. Only Anakin, Jacen, and Tahiri learned to detect the Vong directly with the Force. As for the other Force powers, I think attack powers, such as Force push, projected fighting, electric judgment, Force lightning, dark side web, and bolt of hatred, will have an impact on the Vong.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acrobatics is in Han Solo & the Corporate sector. It's a strength skill. It's listed as a highlight box with the Trianii or something like that. In aliens chapter, page 139

Acrobatics: Strength skill: Time to use 1 round. This is the skill of tumbling, jumping, and other complex movements. This skill is often used in sports and athletic competitions, or as a part of dance. Characters making acrobatics rolls can also reduce damage from falling. The difficulty is based on the distance fallen.

3-6 Very Easy Reduce damage by -2D
7-8 Easy -2D+2
9-12 Moderate -3D
13-15 Difficult -3D+2
16+ Very difficult -4D

Hope this helps.
jmanski

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After research: You are correct. I was misled by a webpage. Embarassed
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Projective telepathy or affect mind Reply with quote

I want to pose the following scenarios:

A Jedi wants to send a thought or a feeling to another individual, like a reassurance or a warning.

A Jedi wants to send an image of his or her surroundings to another. Sorta like if the Jedi is trapped somewhere and knows that another individual is looking for him or her, he could send an image of his or her surroundings to the other. That way, the other knows to look for certain landmarks. If the other individual finds the landmarks, the individual knows the Jedi is nearby.

Are these examples of affect mind or projective telepathy? I used to think it was affect mind, but I'm starting to think it's more along the lines of projective telepathy since the Jedi is sending thoughts and images to another individual, not altering the perceptions the other has in his or her mind. Though I'm willing to entertain the possibility that the latter might be an example of illusion.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projective Telepathy. You're not changing or clouding the subject's perceptions, you're communicating.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except projective telepathy can only send thoughts and feelings, not images (R&E p. 148). Of course, a Jedi could send the thought, 'I'm inside the crate at the back of the hanger, gagged and handcuffed.' You wouldn't need to send an image - the thought would do just fine.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a new one - if a Jedi were to see the molecules moving in a crystal furnace, like what Jaina did with her crystal in Lightsabers, would it be magnify senses or shift sense. I used to think it was magnify senses, but now I'm thinking shift sense.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not both?
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnify senses allows one to see something that's very far away or hear something that's very soft, like a man whispering sweet-nothings into his fianceé's ear on the other side of the cantina.

Shift sense would allow Corran to see in the ultarviolet spectrum. Or allow Streen to have the same hearing range as a dog would.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the ability to detect droids would be like a shift sense type thing, detecting the magnetic fields and em given off by the droid.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
jmanski

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forceally wrote:
Magnify senses allows one to see something that's very far away or hear something that's very soft, like a man whispering sweet-nothings into his fianceé's ear on the other side of the cantina.

Shift sense would allow Corran to see in the ultarviolet spectrum. Or allow Streen to have the same hearing range as a dog would.

Magnify senses would increase the vision to see molecules, shift sense to see it in the thermal range.

That's my thinking, anyhow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: