The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

2 guns
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> 2 guns Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JorallEpat
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: 2 guns Reply with quote

(Notice: I don’t really know anything)

If a player has 2 guns can he fire them in the same turn at different targets without a -1D? And can he shoot both at one thing and combine the damage?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope and Nope.

Here's the Houserule that I threw at my GM and he agreed to (Surprising, seeing as it's the first bloody time!!!).

First off, every character, unless stated in his species info, has an "Off-Hand" (Usually, this is the Left Hand.). Any action performed with this hand only is at -1D, period. This can be offset by training yourself to become Ambidexterous ("Right Handed With Both Hands"), which costs 1D of Skills at Character Creation, or 10 Character Points afterwards (With 1 Week of Training per Character Point spend.).

Second off, Blasters Akimbo (Cowboy or John Woo Style Shooting.). When you fire two pistols at the same time, they must be at the same target, and are at -1D To Hit. This can be offset slowly by spending 10 Character Points per Pip (And 1 Days Training per Character Point Spent). After the negative has been completely bought off (Read: 30 Character Points spent), you can now shoot at two targets, one with each pistol, at -1D To Hit, which cannot be brought down. Each shot is handled seperately (Which means two rolls for "one action" in the round), and damage is also resolved seperately as well.

Examples:

Mr. DuVal decides to emulate his buddy Mar Corel and picks up a Blaster in each hand at a Merc that is threatening to do some damage to the Corellian Butterfly. He is not ambidexterous, and has not bought off any of the penalty for "Blasters Akimbo". He makes the first shot with his Right Hand at -1D to hit, and a second shot with his left hand at -2D. This typically means he makes alot of noise and a pretty light show, but not much hurting.

Mar, starting out on his adventures, does the same. He was born ambidexterous (Bought at character creation), but has yet to buy off the "Blasters Akimbo" penalty, so he shoots at the Merc twice with a -1D to each shot.

Later on in his career, Mar is faced with a similar position, but faces two Mercs while he's all alone. He has now bought off the "Blasters Akimbo" and can make like Chow Yun Fatt. He can either shoot twice at one Merc with no penalty, or once at each Merc with a -1D penalty.
JorallEpat
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I get it now, thanks
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have a house rule that says you can shoot them both as one action, but at a-2 penalty for the good hand shot, and a -5 penalty for the off hand shot. Isn't that a good idea?
Love is still the answer take my hand
The vision fades a voice I hear
Listen to the madman!'
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just stuck with the -1D idea. Quick, simple.

And the -2/-5 strikes me as too "D20", which, as we all know, is so much in the dark side that the most perverted of the Sith refuse to use it.
Urhart the Fallen Angel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough, cuz we all admit that, but a penalty for both sides would make sense I think. Maybe just -1D for off hand would work though...
Love is still the answer take my hand
The vision fades a voice I hear
Listen to the madman!'
Volo Enrunk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know if this is right but i think ray was meaning if you go Akimbo. you have a -1d to prime hand and a -2d to off hand? unless your ambidextrous, though if this isn't bought at character creation i would make it cost more than 10 cps, then you have a -1d to each hand. i don't see how the damage wouldn't stack by shooting at the same target +1d as per combined action rules 2nd edition. then beyond this you can buy up to have a no modifier to prime hand and a -1d to off hand. with 30 cps. so you are right handed with both hands no penalties but taking a second action with your other hand -1d... did that make since?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volo Enrunk wrote:
i don't know if this is right but i think ray was meaning if you go Akimbo. you have a -1d to prime hand and a -2d to off hand?

Yep.

Volo Enrunk wrote:
unless your ambidextrous, though if this isn't bought at character creation i would make it cost more than 10 cps, then you have a -1d to each hand.

Yep, and you can make it cost as much as you like with your group. I just suggested it as 10 for my GM as that's the cost for Force Sensitivity, as a ballpark figure, he agreed.

Volo Enrunk wrote:
i don't see how the damage wouldn't stack by shooting at the same target +1d as per combined action rules 2nd edition.

Because the shots are more likely to hit in two different areas (Those of you with Pistols... Can you confirm/deny this?)... If you want to play it where both shots do +1D damage, it's your game, do with it what you will. My group doesn't mind the extra dice rolls ("I love it!" to quote the Spam Fan), and that's how we want to play it.

Heck, we have a "Sub-Location" system that allows for precise location of where a shot hits...

Even had one fellow "John Woo" a pair of bullets into a guy's EYES in CP2020 (Pure luck, too!).

Volo Enrunk wrote:
then beyond this you can buy up to have a no modifier to prime hand and a -1d to off hand. with 30 cps. so you are right handed with both hands no penalties but taking a second action with your other hand -1d... did that make since?

Lost me on that one.

OK, if you buy off the Ambidextry (10cp under my system), you have no "Off Hand", and, thusly, no offhand penalty.

If you buy off the "Blasters Akimbo" (30cp in total under my system), you have no penalty for it, except for the Offhand Penalty.

If you buy off both, no penalty, and you're making Chow Yun Fat look bad.

Oh, and FYI: Ambidextry means "Right Handed With Both Hands" in Latin... Apparently... Latin isn't taught in Schools in Canada any longer (Pity, I wanted to learn it). In addition, "Akimbo" was a style of Kendo (Sword-Based Martial Art) that uses both the Katana (Long Sword) and the Wakisashi (Short Sword) in combination for a Long-Short attack possibility... In modern useage, it means using a gun in each hand.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought that if you were playing a species with more than 2 arms (6-8 would be nice) you could have a blaster pistol in each and simply spray firepower in the general direction...

You wouldn't roll any dice as you can't really say you'r aiming for anyone but anyone who doesn't dodge with a score of 5 or better (all you really have to do is duck as it's not aimed fire) will get hit automatically.

In essence it's simple supression fire
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the species equipped with more than two arms, they're body and minds are designed for it. Typically, they can do as many actions as half their arms with no penalty (If they have four arms, two actions... Six, then three, if it's an odd number, talk to the GM.).

At least, that's how I've read it... Maybe I'm wrong. Often happens.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense I suppose... Seems a bit of an advantage but logically thinking it makes sense.

Octopuses (Octopi?) seem to have no difficulty doing more than one thing with their tenticles at once although often they just use all of their tenticles to achieve a task (like opening a jar)

Nasty so a 6 armed creature could shoot 3 blasters at once without penalty

Don't give that guy any repeating blasters Twisted Evil
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statistically, I don't see why someone would use two guns anyway. A heavy blaster pistol has no fire rate so you can just shoot it all you want.
Since the rules don't discuss off-hand stuff, I apply a -5 to the off hand shot total, but really, you could avoid that by just shooting twice with your main hand. I'm a big fan of the double pistol thing myself and I only do it to look cool. 8)

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can shoot TWICE as many shots in the same amount of time, Rathe!!!

And... Because it looks so COOL!!!
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides if you're just aiming in a general direction so that people will keep their heads down you shouldn't really need to roll... or the roll should be really easy... but so should the roll to avoid being hit.

And it looks really cool!

Besides say you wanted to hit a speeder that was leaving quickly so you could only get a few shots in before it was out of range if you had a gun in each hand that would be twice as many shots and the size difference should compensate for the lack of accuracy when it comes to hitting it with the gun in your off hand (or hands for the species with above average numbers of limbs)...

You just better hope you roll some really amazing damage rolls if you want to do any damage
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statistically, no. Cinematically, yes. I'm a big fan of the heavy blaster pistol and my character Weiss is a master with them, but their is really no statistical point in using both other than to make the off-hand shot a little worse. Sure, it looks cool and that's why I do it, but if I miss the second shot because of the -5 penalty, I going to get pissed. Besides, Weiss also uses a Blastech Riot gun and with one shot he can hit you five times and that weapon doesn't have a fire rate either.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: