The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Looting?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Looting? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you can let them loot, your the GM, but has Ray said, it'll catch up with you in time 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we term "Looting" and shoot people for in Modern Armies was, previously, considered part of the job, and, in fact, one of the major ways the Soldiers got paid.

Kipling put it best with, "It's the Loot Loot Loot that makes the boys get up and shoot!"

That said, other folks, as well as myself, have already mentioned the problems that comes with looting.

But, as Equipment strapped as the Rebel Alliance is, it would be considered standard practice to grab, and attempt to fix, Imperial Equipment as much as possible.

Eg. Take three wrecked Imperial CAVs and make one that works, with spare parts. Or try to mate up that AT-ST with the blown off leg with the leg of the AT-ST with the destroyed Cockpit.

Now, for the down side.

First off, as I said, everything has a Serial Number on it. These are checked and checked again. Sure, some stuff goes missing (We are talking about TENS OF THOUSANDS of items that are in the hands of Quartermasters and Supply Officers after all. No offence to the actual Honest QMs or SOs out there, all four of you.), but they can be traced and tracked down. The Empire doesn't like Swoop Gangs to get Stormtrooper Armour and Weapons and then terrorize small outposts or settlements "In The Name Of The Empire" because they were able to buy them off the Black Market Hutt that you sold them all to.

And, even donating them to the Rebel Alliance could get you "Mentioned In Dispatches" or other awards, which'll bring you up on the "Imperial Hit List". 'Course, that would be considered a point of honour with most groups... But would also cause the Empire to look into the group's families...

You wouldn't want you little sister detained, and worse, because you've ticked off the wrong Moff, who is forced to PROVE that he's doing something about the "Rebel Threat" to the Emperor (Or, more likely, one of his pasty skinned lackies.).

Or maybe they put the screws on your Fixer. This would be a good adventure for GMs as a trap, but also would cut off the PCs from a source of income, and the Rebellion from a source of equipment and war material. Not to mention getting the Freighter really, really shot up. Twisted Evil
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
But, as Equipment strapped as the Rebel Alliance is, it would be considered standard practice to grab, and attempt to fix, Imperial Equipment as much as possible.

Eg. Take three wrecked Imperial CAVs and make one that works, with spare parts. Or try to mate up that AT-ST with the blown off leg with the leg of the AT-ST with the destroyed Cockpit.

I agree the Alliance must salvage whatever it can, but in the modern sense, this is not looting. If you take the enemy's war material and use it, this is called capturing. To capture material in war is not wrong. Looting is.

In the same way, as long as the cause is just, killing in war is not murder, snipers are not assassins, military scouts are not spies. Why we do something is just as important as what we do.

IRL von Klaus wrote an entire book on the subject of just war. The Alliance appears to follow these same tenants, although The Empire appears not to do so. This is one of the ways we know the Alliance is concerned with justice, while The Empire is not.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the Emperor thought of the galaxy as HIS so in his mind they aren't looting but for the poor farmers who got their store of grain taken to help the Imperial cause I guess he can't really appreciate it Very Happy 8)

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with looting? It is the easiest way of obtaining equipment and money. If you are an inexperienced character then why not take the equipment of fallen enemies. If you managed to kill someone like Boba Fett, nobody would leave his equipment behind. So don't try to tell me looting is wrong. It's a basic element of the Star Wars galaxy.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm not saying that it's wrong...

But too much of a good thing...

"How many Stormtrooper Rifles do you have in that Sensor-Proof Concealed Compartment?" "Let's see... 278. And then there's the Pistols, Heavy Pistols, Carbines, Stormtrooper Armour... Hmmm... We're going to need a bigger compartment to fit all the new stuff in there." "Uh, ya..." "We'll throw it in the Waste Disposal System before we lift off. Just make sure you jam the outer hatch so we don't dump it before the Hyperspace jump."
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragnar wrote:
What's wrong with looting? It is the easiest way of obtaining equipment and money. If you are an inexperienced character then why not take the equipment of fallen enemies. If you managed to kill someone like Boba Fett, nobody would leave his equipment behind. So don't try to tell me looting is wrong. It's a basic element of the Star Wars galaxy.

That's not looting, that's the Spoils Of War. Looting would be that after you've disposed of the Imperial garrison at the city you start stealing from the commerces and private homes of that city. 8)

Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that, but people keep calling what i described, looting, and it technically is looting if you are not involved in the war like if you were an independent character and happened to kill someone and take their junk.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looting is like bounties; the more you take, the higher it goes.
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply it's a way for the GM to give you stuff without just handing it to the characters. You have to defeat your enemy to earn it.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely take anything my opponent had ,Weapon, armor, credits,ship, ...wife Wink 8)

Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main point of contention here is just the actual word being used. I think if Rebel (or independent, for that matter) players confiscate/capture Imperial equipment after a raid, that's perfectly fine, and not really looting. The term looting implies much more than simply confiscating weapons/equipment from defeated enemies. Looting implies that you are stealing/pillaging, usually from innocent people, which I don't think was the original intent of this post. Maybe a better topic for this thread would be "confiscating enemy equipment".

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put Loc, I would definately have to agree. Very Happy
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes

Although capturing enemy equipment in the form of cybernetics and prosthetics is never going to be thought of very highly
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL "Please wait I aint dea..."

"Hey look everyone, artificial heart and lungs"Very Happy 8)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: