The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Graveyard of Alderaan Revisited
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Graveyard of Alderaan Revisited Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Let us know how it goes.

Yeah, I'm a bit curious about this myself. I've only glanced at "Graveyard of Alderaan," I haven't read it all the way through, but I think I'll remedy that soon enough.

Yeah, let us know how this goes, Wajeb.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't pulled the trigger on if I'm going to play it yet. Just thinking about it.

I like the scenario, though. And, there are lots of interesting encounters in it. It's a great first-time adventure.

One of the "rumors" that the PCs can hear in the cantina is that the local Imperial Recruitment Agent is actually a Rebel sympathizer, and he will steer some recruits to the Rebellion.

None of the PCs in my game will in in the Rebellion yet. Heck, they might not even want to go that route. And, if so, I'll turn this into a Fringe style adventure, the players looking for profit.

The Recruitment Agent, in reality, planted that rumor himself in order to catch Sympathizers.

I like that double cross.

I think I'm going to try to set up the NSB agent, Dal Rogos, in a double cross situation, too. I'll see if I can charm the players with him, and then, at the right moment, I'll have Rogos turn on them.

It's a dangerous galaxy out there. Watch who you trust.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
No no-shows (which translates to minimal no-shows--something will come up, I'm sure).

Once they have a template, I'll see what kind of input they have into making the character interesting. Those that don't want to do that, don't have to.

How do you handle it when they do occasionally have a no-show situation crop up?? What happens to their character?
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
No no-shows (which translates to minimal no-shows--something will come up, I'm sure).

Once they have a template, I'll see what kind of input they have into making the character interesting. Those that don't want to do that, don't have to.

How do you handle it when they do occasionally have a no-show situation crop up?? What happens to their character?

First of all, they're supposed to let me know as soon as they know. Hopefully, we've got time to reschedule.

If the missing player's character is somewhere where he can be "off screen" for the night, then we go ahead an play.

For example, in a Star Wars game, guess who stays on the ship. I will sometimes play the character as an NPC if this happens, but I keep this to a minimum--like answering the comm if the PCs call the ship.

If, during the last game, the missing player's character is involved, and there's no reasonable way to get him "off screen" for the night's game, then we don't play. We reschedule.

And, if you are the player who makes us reschedule, then you get the task of calling everyone, telling them that we have to reschedule (this, right here, keeps some players playing because they don't want to have to deal with the, "Oh, man! Really? You can't play?") and then doing the chore of rescheduling everyone.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

First of all, they're supposed to let me know as soon as they know. Hopefully, we've got time to reschedule.

If the missing player's character is somewhere where he can be "off screen" for the night, then we go ahead an play.

For example, in a Star Wars game, guess who stays on the ship. I will sometimes play the character as an NPC if this happens, but I keep this to a minimum--like answering the comm if the PCs call the ship.

If, during the last game, the missing player's character is involved, and there's no reasonable way to get him "off screen" for the night's game, then we don't play. We reschedule.

And, if you are the player who makes us reschedule, then you get the task of calling everyone, telling them that we have to reschedule (this, right here, keeps some players playing because they don't want to have to deal with the, "Oh, man! Really? You can't play?") and then doing the chore of rescheduling everyone.

That makes me wonder if i've asked that question before.. On the "what do you do with missing players..."
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lusdu.

How would you pronounce that? Luz-doo? Luz-dah? Loose-dah?

Lus-dah (like Lust-duh, without the "t").

I think I like that last one best. Almost sounds like "luster".

I'm thinking this is a small world--a moon, probably orbiting a gas giant.

I'm also thinking that it's a Core world, with minor or waning influence. A major hyperspace lane opened close to the world in the last century or so, which both kept Lusdu relevant but also retarded the world's growth and expansion became a world that was ignored by the traffic outbound from the Core Systems.

So, it's a fading kingdom.

It does have a liberal border policy, though, and Lusdu is somewhat unique as a Core World in its acceptance of non-humans. Lusdu has even had a non-human King before.

In fact, Lusdu has a population problem in that many of the aliens from the Core Worlds find themselves on Lusdu due to the world's alien sanctuary policies.

Recently, some natural accident has occurred on nearby Alderaan. Reports are that the entire planet has been destroyed. Unimaginable as that is, Lusdu has opened its arms to the refugees from that world--the only world to formally do so.

Now, the small world is busting at is seams. There are food shortages and power outages. The King has had no choice to but plead for the mercy of the Emperor. And, Palpatine has granted the request. After all, Lusdu is still a Core World.

Imperial Star Destroyers now orbit Lusdu. Imperial troops maintain order. And, an Imperial Governor has arrived. Rumor has it that he will declare martial law on any upcoming hour.

Lines are long for all goods and services.

The Ithorian trading vessel Bazaar has come into orbit of Lusdu. Previously unaware of the downturn in conditions on the planet, the Ithorians have limited access to their vessel through a ticket system. Otherwise, the ship would be overrun with refugees.

The PCs, whether they know each other or not, have all managed to get hold of one of the tickets--tickets that are worth a being's weight in gold.

The game begins as the PCs debark from the shuttle, having left Lusdu, now boarding the Bazaar.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an early encounter, in the Isttu village aboard Bazaar, where the PCs see a bank robbery happen.

Upon first read, this seems to be an extraneous encounter, and I thought it kind of boring. The PCs aren't required to intervene, but if they are successful in thwarting the robbery, then the Merchant's Council awards them 50 Cr. each and invites them to the Council House for dinner--which could lead to something for the PCs.

My first thought was to just ignore the encounter and not play it, but I liked the idea of the Council House meeting. That could push the plot forward.

So, I started thinking, "How can I make this encounter more interesting."

Then, I thought...

Squibbs!

Instead of generic Thugs, I'll use Squibbs!

Those little blue haired fearless SOB's is just the right seasoning to turn a bland encounter into something memorable.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more ideas....

I'm thinking about linking Rebel Breakout, from the 1E core rulebook, with this adventure.

Lusdu has never properly been named. Originally, it was owned by a Bothan Mining concern, and citizens of the Core just referred to the world as Bothan's Planet.

As noted before, there is only one installation on the world that served as the mining HQ and spaceport hub. Mesa 291, from the Rebel Breakout adventure, describes one of the old mines.

The world has been stripped of its valuable resources for a long time. Yet, people persist on the world.

The HQ hub was referred to as L.U.S.D.U., which is an acronym (still haven't found one that I love) Licensed and Union Surface Depot and Utility.

Once the world was mined out, a population has grown up in its wake, now led by a hereditary Monarchy. The world is still technically owned by the same Bothan Mining company, but the company has, for all practical purposes, abandoned the world.

So, now the world is called Lusdu, with a Bothan monarchy, that independently exports its fungi. The entire world population is about 150,000.

10-EX

An old supervisor droid has somehow become independent and now runs the book (betting on the world), operates as a loanshark and entree into the finger and world of smuggling.

The droid has organic (alien or human) servants that keep a cigar lit that 10-EX keeps lit and clutched between its mechanical fingers (but it never smokes it as it can't). Gold necklaces drape around the droid's neck, as do rings on its fingers.

One secret way to the droid's "heart" is to buy it a hat--the bigger and billowy, the better.

10-EX will be a contact for the new characters to find the Rebels (it can also sell the PCs a ship).

Being a droid, 10-EX has no conscious at all. Using only its strict logic processors, it sees the most profit by working both sides. It will help the Rebellion and get paid. Then it will turn around and sell that same information to the Imperials who have recently come to Lusdu.

This is what happens in Rebel Breakout. The PCs are taken to the mine, but in the meantime, 10-EX sells them out. This is how the Imperials show up so quickly at the beginning of Rebel Breakout at Mesa 291. They are betrayed by 10-EX who collects from both sides.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lightsaber aboard Bazaar. Right now, I'm thinking that High Inquisitor Tremayne planted it there to draw out Jedi who escaped the Purge.

If I have a Jedi in the party, I'd like to make Tremayne a recurring villain.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fungi grown on Lusdu is called "Savior." Not a lot of it is grown. It is hard to find. Scientists speculate that the fungus started showing up in the old caves after a mineral in the planet's crust was mined out. It acted as a plant killer for the fungi. In areas where all of this mineral was completely removed, the way is paved for the fungus to appear.

Savior is expensive. It is refined and used with prosthetic limbs to help avoid rejection.

Enough of the fungus is mined to keep the single establishment on the planet from going bankrupt.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of a different direction on the name/history of the world. As I'm integrating Rebel Breakout with the adventure as a prelude, I think that Lusdu was a Bothan mining concern.

The Bothans called the place "Lusdu", which, in one of their dialects, simply means "four". The fourth planet.

Undu means "a single" or "one".

Dundu means "a couple" or "two".

Fewdu means "a few" or "three".

Lusdu means "a lot of" or "four".

Mundu means "a mass of, or much of" or "five".

Lusdu is simply the fourth planet in the system, and the Bothans called the place Lusdu. Which is short for Prisillis IV.

Non-Bothans called the world "Bothan's World".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: