The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Understanding binary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Understanding binary Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it, Vong, 1000 or 8000 per second? Huh?

Really, that's pretty low rate too, that's only running at 1-8kHz; even computers created around the time of A New Hope being made worked faster than that.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
What is it, Vong, 1000 or 8000 per second? Huh?

Really, that's pretty low rate too, that's only running at 1-8kHz; even computers created around the time of A New Hope being made worked faster than that.

1000 letters - each letter is is 8 numbers, so 8000 numbers Wink

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yea, and this is assuming they speak in ASCII.

Owen saying "What I really need is someone that understands the binay language of moisture converters" and c3p0 responding something along the lines of "I worked with X, which is very similar to your moisture converters" implies there is more then one different binary language around (and there should be with different species making machines)

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I don't know what you guys are talking about. Anytime I want to read an e-book, I usually burn it on to a dada CD and stick it in an old CD player. I get to listen to the wonderful digital noise, but I can convert it so fast, it's just like listening to my favorite audio book.

Friggin' amateurs.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
See, I don't know what you guys are talking about. Anytime I want to read an e-book, I usually burn it on to a dada CD and stick it in an old CD player. I get to listen to the wonderful digital noise, but I can convert it so fast, it's just like listening to my favorite audio book.

Friggin' amateurs.

lol. what can i say.. you know too much and you begin to see the matrix... and that s*** is confusing as hell... its just a bunch of scrolling green lines of code.... headache city.

cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even see the code. All I see is blonde, brunette, redhead...
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I don't even see the code. All I see is blonde, brunette, redhead...

thats cause you arent a haxor like I are.

remo moxey
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the average person would be able to do it, but it is by no means impossible.

Daniel Tammet recited pi to the 22,514th digit in 5 hours 9 minutes.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In D20 character can learn to speak binary.

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
cheshire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In d20 you can also make a cloud appear about someone's head and make it rain acid. It doesn't mean that it makes sense. Smile
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
In d20 you can also make a cloud appear about someone's head and make it rain acid. It doesn't mean that it makes sense. Smile

thats acid code for ya... acid code... double entendre Wink

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Quote:
I'd disagree on someone who specialized in binary. Simply, organic beings (other than a couple rather machine-minded (usually insectile) species) can't understand binary. Only translating droids and the power of myth.. er, the Force, can handle binary.

I'd have to disagree with your disagreement, part of standard computer hardware tech training is learning to read and write binary. It's a standardized language, and I'm sure even more so in such a tech driven universe.

reading and writing are one thing. Hearing it and knowing what it means is a whole other kettle of fish.
So to me, even insect type aliens won't be able to hear and decypher it.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a clarification on the insectile species thing, if I'm not mistaken (which I could be) there are one or two species that have the ability to communicate with droids listed under their Special Abilities section. I am ONLY referring to these species as possibilities, not all insectile species.

Though, come to think of it, I believe that droid communication tends to be due to the ability to sense/transmit EM pulses, not actually binary.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone else ever conjecture that maybe, just maybe, "Binary" doesn't mean in Star Wars what it means in our world? I'm saying this from a math nerd perspective (that's my bachelor degree). There are a lot of different droid languages heard in Star Wars, and none of them sound like they would be binary communication like our computers use.

I think it is extemely likely that Lucas was just using a buzz word that made it sound more "science-fictiony". We're talking about a computer/droid language used by moisture vaperators and "binary" load-lifters not heard in the movie, so using that word just sounds like a form of communication that machines might use to your average viewer. Remember this movie was made by the same guy that used the word "parsecs" to describe an amount of time (yes, thankfully the EU rationalized that error in a way that makes it make sense). Did Lucas really care about being scientifically accurate? Or did he just want to make it sound good for a movie goer?

I don't think that binary would be an vocal/audio language as others have demonstrated. Within the game universe I don't think that non-machines could understand it so no character could learn it or specialize in it. I also don't think the Force could help with machine communication as others have said.

However, I do think that "droidspeak" or "astromech" or whatever you want to call R2's language could be learned by organic beings. Especially ones that spend a lot of time with them like pilots and technicians. In game terms, I do think you could specialize in R2's language. But I would not say that R2's language is "binary".
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How I've run it is how Whill puts it. It's "Binary" not binary. A human can understand it after a lot of hours of listening and training although humans can't vocalize it.

An easy phrase like yes / no will have a Language difficulty of 15. More complex phrases would be Difficult and above. Anyone with a high Language skill will be able to understand binary / droidspeak as per rules transposition from 1st Edition.

An R3 unit beeps a phrase.

PC1 rolls and fails, "What are you chattering about?"

PC2 rolls and succeeds, "He says you ought to take baths more frequently."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: