The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Bounty Hunter permit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Bounty Hunter permit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riij Skootu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Bounty Hunter permit Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I am working on a Bounty Hunter campaign set in the Old Republic. It will start on the planet Corellia.
I have a question regarding acquiring a permit. Is it necessary? It seems with the amount of credits one
gets at the beginning of the game that they would have no money left to purchase anything else (i.e. blaster,
food, etc.). So how does the character obtain the basic items one needs while paying for the permit as well?
I had an idea that maybe his parents bought it for him as a graduation present. Does this sound reasonable?
Any other thoughts? Ideas?

Thank you for the help! =)
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... GG 10 gives you the price of a bounty hunting permit during the Empire. Now the Empire was full of unnecessary bureaucracy (kind of like Massachusetts health insurance, but with less malevolent intent). So, I would reduce the number of permits and perhaps reduce the price of the permits.

Now, when you say that people don't get many rewards for this, you're right. That's really sort of the point that people really have to work hard to make their money by bounty hunting. There's a reason why the universe wasn't busting at the seams with guns for hire looking to bring in a bad guy. Most of the professions you see in D6 materials are people who have to do a lot just to scrape buy. Those bounties (or cargo runs or scouting claims or anything) that have high returns are naturally either high risk or illegal. Either way, you'll get into trouble.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends, you could think of it like acquiring a drivers license. Maybe 100 credit fee, and has to take a test. (Law Enforcement check), you could even make tiers of hunter's licenses. Planetary, system, regional, galactic. Planetary is cheapest, and allows him limited authority on the starting planet, then when he works up the money, or gets a ship, he can upgrade his license to the system, or maybe a regional. And after he's gained some influence or skill there, or if a mark winds up heading outside of his authority, he can get a galactic license.

Aside from licensing, there are many bounty hunters who operate without license. They just take jobs from less savory individuals or organizations, and have to be careful about running into actual law enforcement officers.

If you take a look at the standard bounty hunter template in 2 ed R&E, he has 3 blasters, a thermal detonator, 2 knives, a protective vest, jet pack, two medpacs, and 1,000 credits. Even if a player is creating their template, usually I pick a pre-existing template for equipment, then they can exchange, sell, or bargain for debt for any additional gear they want.
Riij Skootu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was all most wonderful ideas! Thank you so much. It was very very helpful. You have both given me a lot to think about.
I love your idea about using the existing template's equipment and allowing the PC to decide if he wants it or not.
That is a truly awesome idea. =)
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could do it where the bounty hunters are like truck drivers or realtors in real life, in that they work under someone else's license for a fee.

the company collects a percentage of each bounty. in exchange, the characters are legal and dont have to mess with licenses. the company helps smooth over legal stuff. a "dispatcher" or "broker" gives them missions, based on their track record.

later on they could go on their own, but i really see bounties being brokered or dispatched by private companies that work with law enforcement

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
Reaper63
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another idea will be having them apply to the Hunter's Guild.

For 100 Credits, you get a guild permit. It could be good in both Imperial and Other sectors (new Republic, or Corporate sectors, depending on when your campaign is set)

The catch here would be that the Guild gets a cut of all bounties. It'll be like working for a hutt as a smuggler.

You set a price for the characters to save up to, and at that point, they can outright purchase a individual permit and only pay Guild fees (a flat fee for the services of the guild)

I also like the idea that an individual Hunter's permit would all you to have "staff Hunters" so to speak. A Hunt master permit (more expensive then a individual permit) would enable you to hire say 3 apprentice hunters for a hunt.
Riij Skootu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are both excellent ideas. I really like the idea of working under the license of someone else. Maybe even add in a little "apprenticeship" flavor into it where you want to get the Bounty Hunter that you most wanna be like. So just any 'ole Hunter will not do kind of thing.

Thank you! You guys rock! Very Happy
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember right, wasn't there a big bounty hunter's guild during the Republic that was broken up into the smaller guilds when the Empire came along? I remember reading somewhere that during that time the Bounty Hunter's Guild had close to a monopoly in the business.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bh guild could be a good thing, and could be how they get a permit(must have a licensed hunter with you when you hunt, no night hunting, no bounty hunting on interstates...)

but seriously, working under something where they have a dispatcher (like Roz on monsters inc.) could be cool. in the trucking you bribe the dispatcher to give u good loads. dispatchers bribe the brokers to give their companies good loads.

you could use the company store to keep them in debt too... pure evil

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
Riij Skootu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it!!! Fantastic idea bobenhotep Laughing
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:

If you take a look at the standard bounty hunter template in 2 ed R&E, he has 3 blasters, a thermal detonator, 2 knives, a protective vest, jet pack, two medpacs, and 1,000 credits. Even if a player is creating their template, usually I pick a pre-existing template for equipment, then they can exchange, sell, or bargain for debt for any additional gear they want.

Agreed. Heck i have had some players ask if they Took the template, could they sell off their Thermal detonator and maybe the light repeater for some better armor or a good galactic license... IIRC a 1 yr license is 2-4K, and selling off both a TD and the LRB would imo net that cash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: