The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Red Letter Media Reviews
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork -> Red Letter Media Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Red Letter Media Reviews Reply with quote

Admittedly, my enjoyment of these videos might come from my bias towards the prequel films but, I think these films provide a serious and detailed list of reasons to shun Episodes one, two, and three. Chances are that you've already seen them, but, just in case you haven't, I think it's only right that I share them with the Rancor Pit.

Be forewarned, each clocks in at over an hour and contains language that delicate ears might find offensive.

The Phantom Menace Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

Attack of the Clones Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfBhi6qqFLA

Let me make you a picture!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was already familiar with them. They are great reviews, and very entertaining. The guy certainly raises some very valid points (together with some very questionable ones). It certainly makes you think.

Just beware, this guy is convincing enough to diminuish your appreciation of the prequels a little bit.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: TPM Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
The guy certainly raises some very valid points (together with some very questionable ones)... Just beware, this guy is convincing enough to diminuish your appreciation of the prequels a little bit.

No he's not. Well, at least not that convincing for all of us. I assume the doofus voice and mispronounced words are an attempt for comic effect, but that doesn't help his cause much. Intelligent, well-spoken criticisms are usually more effective in winning someone over to your point of view.

But I have to admit it's true that many people don't understand The Phantom Menace. An better criticism may be that it is not quite as easily accessible as the classic trilogy.

I admit that I know a few people since 1999 that have actually said to me, "The movie title doesn't make sense. Who is the phantom menace?" Most of my friends and family knew the answer to that when I did, a few minutes into the movie. But it's not like it is one fleeting glimps at the beginning that is never referred to again. It is reinforced through the entire movie that the phantom menace is two things:

The Sith in general, and Darth Sidious specifically.

The menacing figure usually appearing as a hologram (phantom) who is manipulating the overt antagonists from the shadows (phantom). The enemy (menace) that Obi-Wan says in the second scene is 'out there, elusive' (phantom). The ancient enemy (menace) of the Jedi that was thought to be extinct for a millenium (phantom). The menace that, unbeknownst to the protagonists, has infiltrated the Republic government from within (phantom).

How more obvious could they make it? They practically beat the meaning of the title of the movie over our heads over and over! I really can't believe that there could be so many adults out there that don't get something so utterly basic. I forgive the children that don't know the meaning of the words phantom and menace, but adults should know those things. If they don't, they may want to look them up in the dictionary and then figure out what the title means on their own before asking such an obvious question.

As far as who are the movie's protagonists, that is almost as basic. There are four protagonists:

Qui-Gon discovers the boy he believes is the Chosen One who will destoy the Sith right before encountering the Sith for the first time. He is so sure he wants to make sure the boy is trained as a Jedi. It's true that Qui-Gon is a tragic hero who dies by the hand of the Sith, but not before securing a promise that the boy will be trained. Mission accomplished (and he was correct, the boy grows up to be the Chosen One who destroyed the Sith in the previously released final episode of the saga, ROTJ).

Obi-Wan wants to prove his worth to become a full-fledged Jedi Knight. He watched his master get mortally wounded by a Sith Lord, then destroys that Sith without the using the Dark Side. That was viewed as his trial, and he passed to become a Knight. And he also gets an apprentice to train on top of it. Mission accomplished.

Padme Amidala wants to free her people from the oppressive yoke of the Trade Federation. She seeks the aid of the Gungans and gets peace. Missions accomplished.

Anakin Skywalker wants to use his abilities to help people, which he does in the pod race and in the final battle. The slave boy dreams of being free and he gains his freedom. He dreams of being important and he beomes the Chosen One who will later destroy the Sith. He dreams of beginning his training as a Jedi and does. Missions accomplished.

You don't have to like the movie. Hate it if you want. That is your personal preference. But no matter if you like it or not, it is completely invalid to say the title doesn't make any sense or the movie has no protagonists.

Even if you hate the prequels, I don't recommend this guy because he talks so slow and the videos are lengthy. There are plenty of places on the internet that have crticisms of the prequels that you can get much faster (and in some cases more intellegently).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voice and overall character are supposed to be a caricature of the overly-obsessed Star Wars fan (if you've ever been to a convention, you've likely encountered this beast).

Still, let's not get into an OT vs PT thing here. People of our interests can get pretty heated about Star Wars so, let's just table that. We all do a pretty good job of getting along here at the Rancor Pit, let's not bring it down over a cannon war.

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazardchris wrote:
Still, let's not get into an OT vs PT thing here. People of our interests can get pretty heated about Star Wars so, let's just table that. We all do a pretty good job of getting along here at the Rancor Pit, let's not bring it down over a cannon war.

Avoiding a "canon war" is exactly the type of thing I was attempting to do by being extremely careful with my language. I wasn't responding to "I don't like the movie" statements. That is opinion and personal preference. I was merely replying on two specific points, the false beliefs that the title has no meaning and the movie has no protagonists. It is OK to hate the movies and hate the protagonists, but to say the title of the movie has no meaning and movie does have protagonists is rediculous. I was stating facts, not opinions. And I was only stating a few point, not disputing his entire series or anything. I admit I could only make it through the first video. I was merely trying to give some examples of why I am stating that it is not an intelligent critique of the prequels.

In my experience, oversimplifying matters is one thing that can lead to strife, so I would suggest avoiding even stating ovegeneralized terms like "OT vs. PT". They may be out there, but I've never encountered anyone that liked the PT and didn't like the OT. So it's usually "OT+PT vs. OT-only", "PT vs. not-PT" or simply "OT=PT vs. OT > PT". If someone assumes that just because I like the PT that means I don't like the OT, or assumes that I think the PT is better than the OT, that is prejudice that will probably upset me. I LOVE the OT, and I do NOT like the PT better than the OT. I have never said anthing to that effect on the internet or in person.

Chris, you do you seem genuinely concened about not starting a "canon war", but still I wonder what your purpose was in even posting those links here. It comes across that you might be the one trying to push your non-RPG-related agenda here. I personally am ok with non-RPG Star Wars topics in general, but the main focus of this forum is for the D6 RPG. Hate the prequels or not, the prequels are a big part of what we do with all of the WOTC conversions that seem to be so popular here. Also, I am curious about your avatar. Isn't that a prequel-related avatar? A clone tropper of some kind?

Anyway, I think it is ok in general to bring up canon concerns as they relate to the topics at hand. And it is ok to state opinions for or against something. It seems to me that we all get along here very well.

hazardchris wrote:
The voice and overall character are supposed to be a caricature of the overly-obsessed Star Wars fan (if you've ever been to a convention, you've likely encountered this beast).

I do believe you, but that is not at all even similiar to my experience of Star Wars fans I have met at conventions and otherwise in person. The ones I have met do not sound at all dull-witted. They know how to correctly pronouce words like "protagonist" and they do not talk so slowly. The Star Wars fans I know and have met met in person are usually very intelligent, articulate and eloquent. That narrator of these videos comes off like a complete idiot and I don't happen to find any entertainment value in that whatsoever.

But to be fair, I'll slightly ammend my recommendation. If you already don't like the prequels, can tolerate idiodic-sounding people or find them entertaining, and have a WHOLE LOT of spare time on your hands, then watch these videos. If you want to find intelligent-sounding criticisms that won't take up hours of your day, then you may want to look elsewhere.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I love the reviews. The juxaposition of his thoughtful arguments with his "moronic" delivery are quite humorous to me.

His intentional mispronounceation of the word protagonist is in stark contrast to the fact that his usage of the word and analysis of the protagonists themselves is quite thoughful. (What can I say? I like absurd and surreal humor.)

Some of his analysis is debatable and opinionated, but then some is spot-on regarding the poor characterizations and poor storytelling during the prequels (as compared to the original Trilogy).

I can't wait for the Revenge of the Sith review! Bring on more prota-goan-ists!
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, my intention was pretty much something along the lines of, "I think these are funny, and I would like to share them with fellow Star Wars fans."

I apologize for my lack of tact. :p.

Just a couple of weeks back, my gaming group and I got a pizza and some beers and watched them both back-to-back. We laughed until we cried.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: