The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Need ideas for cooking adventure
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Need ideas for cooking adventure Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Need ideas for cooking adventure Reply with quote

I have started a new Campaign with only 2 players.

The first PC is a Tech. His species is a Sluissi and with the 4d stat bonus in Tech, he wanted his own little hardware store and he even got 1d in medicine because his goal is to do someday some "cyborging". He pointed out nothing more special about his background.

The second PC wants to be a Cook (He is actually cooking when we play SW Smile ). His background about his character is, that the parents of his character owe money to a syndicate called "The Black Flappers". So his character is paying the debt. Our idea was, that he is working undercover in Jabbas Palace to gather some information. We decided that he is part of the staff, working in the kitchen, until finally the Black Flappers decide to attack Jabba and to stage a coup d'etat.

The 2 PCs know each other, because the Tech is repairing the stove and everything that is brooking in the kitchen. Both of the characters aren't battle hardened. And I didn't let them start with a good blaster and armor.

The attack of the Black Flappers won't be in the first few adventures so I need some fillers. But my problems are:

-How is Jabbas Palace organised (I've seen a map somewhere in this forum)? E.g. do the guards have some king of military ranks/structure?

-What kind of adventure can I run with my 2 PCs? I mean a solo campaign should be easy. Or if even both PCs have the Black Flappers background. But the Tech wants his own business. And both of them don't own a ship so everything is happening on Tattooine.

I'm more attracted to adventures with some action and I have my problems when I need to develope adventures with more "talking", so:
Help me Rancorpit. You're my only hope Confused
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one word : Crawlies

ever watch the dark crystal? those.
little fluff balls that are considered a delicacy.

The hook? some drops the crate and they escape - and the staff has to gather them back up or face bib's wrath because they are EXPENSIVE.

this can lead to all kinds of findings out/hilarity/accidents while they track the little devils.
wmseith
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you ever read Tales from Jabba's Palace before but it was an anthology of stories revolving ariound Jabba's hirelings. It had a pretty good story about Jabba's cook and might give you some ideas for a good adventure or two.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could watch a few episodes of Hell's Kitchen on Hulu. That might give you an idea of what it's like to be working in the kitchen for a domineering attitude and a loud voice. Just substitute every time Ramsey drops the F-bomb for Jabba throwing someone in the rancor pit.
mdlake
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, a real conceptual challenge, eh? Let's see what we can do.

Jabba is no connoisseur, but he places a lot of stock in the status of owning the best of everything. So when he falls to discussing staff with a VIP guest (a pirate prince, a corrupt governor, a rival gangster who's just agreed to a truce), they get to boasting of their private cooks, and a cookoff is the only possible result. Maybe the star ingredient bites. The techie is in a position to notice the rival cook's team is cheating: smuggling ingredients in with their equipment or sabotaging Jabba's ovens. Even better, if your cook is merely a chef's assistant, is to have the head chef suffer an unfortunate "accident" and propel the PC into the competition.

Someone aims to kill Jabba by slipping a bomb into one of his grocery crates. (If that sounds implausible, someone merely wishes to "send a message" by messing up his kitchens.) Either PC can find the bomb, and the techie can disarm it, but the real adventure begins when Jabba sends a hit man to trace the bomb to its source. The hit man can't go nosing around the grocers without giving himself away, so Jabba orders his cook to uncover the first few steps of the trail--or else!

A third party (imperials, a rival gang, Leia seeking carbon-frozen Han) recruits either PC to sabotage/spy on Jabba or one of his lieutenants. The assignment is one of those "offer you can't refuse" deals. Orders can be as similar or contrary to the cook's orders from the Black Flappers as you think would be interesting. Adventure design by cross-purposes!

Jabba gets a taste for some exotic creature. His thugs could hunt one down, sure, but they taste terrible unless eaten fresh, and only the cook really knows how to prepare the beastie for slaughter, so he gets sent to retrieve it. The techie's pecialized gear is required for the hunt. Alternately, the PCs hunt an exotic fruit in danger-infested terrain.

Someone threatens the hardware store. The techie is paying protection money, of course, so he can turn to Jabba for help, but not without some risk. Naturally, he asks the cook to set up his audience with Jabba.

....aaaand I'm out of ideas. This concept is dauntingly narrow. Unless your players are prepared to use the first few adventures as a springboard to more generic adventures, you're going to run out of ideas pretty quickly, too. Be sure your PCs are willing to form a bosom friendship quickly (a life debt, maybe?), or you run the risk that they'll have too little in common to keep working together.
Jame Rowe
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The characters don't need their own ship. You can always use liners.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdlake wrote:
Quote:
....aaaand I'm out of ideas. This concept is dauntingly narrow. Unless your players are prepared to use the first few adventures as a springboard to more generic adventures, you're going to run out of ideas pretty quickly, too. Be sure your PCs are willing to form a bosom friendship quickly (a life debt, maybe?), or you run the risk that they'll have too little in common to keep working together.

----
Mdlake, I think you provided some great ideas (which I may be able to adapt for a PC in my game who cooks). 8) This should be enough to get the PCs started.

After that, segue to the Black Flappers attack on Jabba, which will of course fail. The Black Flappers will blame the player character for not providing enough correct information. Jabba’s minions will be looking for someone on the inside to blame. The characters will have to high tail it out of Jabba’s palace to Mos Eisley to catch the first ship off Tatooine. The Sluissi will have to sell his shop to pay for the passage off planet.

The PCs could also try working passage with some pirates looking for cyborging upgrades provided by the Sluissi and a cook to replace the last cook (who no doubt came to a bad end when he/she/it annoyed one of the pirates).

Either way you can then move the characters to the next ship or locale of your choosing.
Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the tardiness of my reply. I was sick.
Thanks everybody for your replys. I've just ordered Tales from Jabbas Palace. It sounds great even for other adventures.
And great thanks to Mdlake. It seems to me like I have enough stuff for the next weeks. The PCs tend to go round in circles, so a little adventure may take one or two evenings instead off one.
If you want to I can tell you how things are going on in my campaign.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yasriia Posted:
Quote:
If you want to I can tell you how things are going on in my campaign.

Sounds better than having to watch Top Chef. Rolling Eyes
Yak Face
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the party, but one idea for the future might be the prospect of a paying gig. Perhaps as they sit in a spaceport trying to figure out how to get off Tatooine, they overhear a publisher talking about his holozine. The guy is looking for people with culinary skills who would be willing to set out across the galaxy to collect recipies. He'd pay "X" credits per new dish submitted for publishing. Maybe the PC already has something he learned at the palace to barter for enough cash to get off the planet. That get's them exploring, following up leads, and (naturally) falling into trouble as they go along. The tech, of course, has skills that should bring in cash anyplace they go.
Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the cook accidently serves up a meal which will act as a poison to some of the races inside Jabba's palace, so must find a way to give them the antidote, without admitting his mistake?
This would mean being able to use other skills to persuade, con, intimidate, or otherwise 'trick' the people in to taking the stuff.

Or, to link it in with the attack on Jabbas palace, how about they have to try and poison the guards?
Does give the challenge of what the hell poisons a Gamorrean?
Maybe the failure of the chef contributes to the attack failing?
Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, after one Player went on vacation, we finally finished an adventure!
Well, because an old roleplaying friend of mine was in town, we had a guest-star, who was impersonating a Black Flapper "Agent". All in all it was a fun adventure. The main plot was: Get the Black Flapper Guy out of Mos Eisley without running into Jabbas henchman.

The Techie had the idea of modifieing a crate mit srapmetal and the Black Flappers Guy and sending him to the ship of the Black Flappers. They had some funny ideas how to get air inside the crate and so on. The only problem was, the players had captured a bountyhunter and they had to get rid of him. I just reminded the cook with a note, that the bountyhunter had seen his face and if he blows the cooks cover, everything will be ruined. And my Joker: "Remenber your parents". In the end the cook killed the bountyhunter. So they had to dispose the dead body too. Long story short, the dead body and the Black Flappers Guy were put into 3 crates. In the end the corpse was found in front of the landing platform. They finally get into the ship by killing Jabbas henchman and took off the planet.

So, at first thought I gave the cook a dark side point, because he killed the bounty hunter, who was tied up and helpless. He didn't even think about bribing him or intimidate him with the Black Flappers Syndicate.
Any thoughts if the dark side point isn't justified?

And as an idea for my next adventure I was thinking about a little hunt for an exotic beast (thanks mdlake) in a nearby system (were they split the team and the Black Flappers Guy is going home). So the cook can justifie a little bit his absence for some days and he can comeback with some "speciality". My first thoughts sending them to Ryloth or Geonosis. Any thoughts what creature or fruit (both are desert planets - well) they have to find? Or even another planet in vicinity? My idea was hunting an Acklay on Geonosis or a Lylek on Ryloth dead or alive.

Maybe I'll take the Lylek and the possibility of heat storms on Ryloth...

By the way: the idea of a guest star is great! He can further the plot, while you think farther into the future, plan the final battle, reread some rules or even spice up the villian (if he is playing the villian), because after some adventure as a GM you can be somewhat predictable, since the guest star can come up with ideas you would have never thought of. You should try that too.
mdlake
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the DSP apply only if the cook (a) is Force-sensitive or (b) used a Force point to do the dirty deed?
Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... I recall, that a non sensitive player doens't get a DSP for such a task. Thanks.
Sid Sonoma
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does is say anywhere that non senstives can't get DSP? I was looking thru the Movie Trilogy Special Edition Sourcebook and it shows General Veers and Boba Fett with DSPs. I don't consider them Force Sensitive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: