The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How much unofficial D6 material is allowed in your games?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> How much unofficial D6 material is allowed in your games? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halda
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following bit should have not been in the quote:

It is definitely in the 2nd ed version of GG1: A New Hope. From memory it was in the Owen Lars entry (it was a few nights ago that I read it).

I thought the code looked weird.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c- beams glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. - Roy Batty, Blade Runner
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How much unofficial D6 material is allowed in your games Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:
...So my question is, how much do you allow in your games and why?

Lots. I encourage imagination - it is a role playing game, after all. I have players whose characters carry gauss rifles, who modify ships in unusual ways, one who is a starship engineer and designed his own ship, small technological items from numerous sci-fi movies movies, unique items thought up by the players themselves (I require them to write a detailed description of it beforehand). Sometimes I require an adventure to travel to this distant planet to aquire these bizarre items (read: adventure hook), but that's all part of the fun. I have players that make up worlds and races.

Why? Because in an empire of a thousand thousand worlds, any given item is probably available somewhere.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Halder, the underwater and blasters is a reference to a thread that has since been deleted. But basically the skinny was that in the new Clone Wars animation that came out we have seen things that directly contradict what was printed in WEG. That primarily being blaster and Lightsabres that seem to function normally underwater. So now that the Clone Wars animation is official, where does the previously printed material fit in? That was the premise of the thread.

Volar, you and I are on the same page on this topic. I always encourage player to think of something different or bizarre. Heck, making it and ironing out the stats are half the fun! And with millions of inhabited worlds just within the Empire proper, that leaves a whole slew (see more millions) of inhabited worlds outside of the Empire to play with. Which leaves us with more inhabited worlds than I have fingers ‘n toes. It’s just “doing the math” to have some form of different or unseen equipment, tech, Jedi stuff, you name it!
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: How much unofficial D6 material is allowed in your games Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:
Well folks, after read bits here and there in existing threads it struck me that some players don’t allow much beyond existing D6 material in their games.

So my question is, how much do you allow in your games and why?

In any kind of game I GM, I use any thing available to help me whether or not its from a game system I use. (but I try to make sure it doesn't ruin the system I'm using) 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally gotten a fair collection of of WEG material, but I think that there are some things that the people at WEG hadn't dealt with in the Star Wars Galaxy. Some of the cooler things that my players liked in Star Wars just aren't anywhere in the books. For example, how do you ensnare a person with a wrist cable, like Fett did with Luke?

At the same time, I don't allow just anything. I've seen several house rules out on the internet that either diverge entirely from what the Star Wars movies were about, or just unbalance the game. Even a couple of official WEG stats I've decided are not applicable in my game. Things like Verpine Shatter Guns and other high damage (6D or more) pistols are off limits.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good calls on both counts Hell and Ches, I agree totally.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything that has come to light with the new movies that we think is crap....well, we don't use. Other things that everyone can agree on is okay, but the main rule is that what the GM thinks, goes.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its like the Psychological Profile http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=137, I haven't found any reason that it wouldn't be included in any kind of RPG that I GM. 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, well Vartax I can’t say I completely agree with that one.
I mean, sure TPM sucked, but AOTC had its moments. It’s mainly the dialogue between Anakin and Padme (man that’s a stupid name) that bugged me, but after thinking about, I ended up rationalizing it.
Considering that Anakin was raised by the Jedi order, its not like he learned how to talk to women, being so cloistered and all. And Padme also was limited in her dealings of the romantic kind, by being a senator so young. So this way, their bad dialogue is understandable considering that they are both socially inept, at least that what I tell myself to explain the crappy conversations.

The thing with new material is that there is no way for it to ever be official, so we are left with a conundrum. Do we include it, or not?
Now some of the stuff I have seen is pretty cool and I would really like to incorporate them into my games. I mean, twin sabres and blasters are cool, and now they are canon to boot. But I can’t say that I advocate the “GM can do whatever he wants” attitude, to me the GM and the players are all gaming together, so being dictatorial to the players is a bit counter productive. The GM plays with the players, not at them.
So in our games we usually all talk out what we want and come to a mutual agreement on how to handle…whatever it is we are considering including, like say…cortosis. Considering every member of my group GM’s at various times we all understand how to be fair about it, and a mutual accord can usually be reached in a short amount of time.
Rahl Jynco
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to jump back in time in this post but Lightsabers do function underwater, it was in on of the Young Jedi Knights books. Only if the jedi failed to make it correctly would it not function. ohhh and for some cool Lightsaber creation rules check this out.
http://www.rpg-domain.de/JHV13/index2.htm

I deal with temptation by giving in...
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can work underwater, but need to be waterproofed.

As most of the Lightsabres are based on the works of Obi-Wan Kinobi, who had one short out on him in the swamps of Naboo, most folks probably do so automatically.

It's mostly an annoyance, but can become important in certain situations.

Probably really cheeses off a Mon Cal when they make their first Lightsabre... Particularily if they were trained from a native of a Desert planet, who wouldn't think of Waterproofing one... Twisted Evil
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that issue was settled in the old “Clone Wars and canon” thread. Wink Laughing
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have missed that thread, sorry.
Rahl Jynco
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry missed that thread (i'm new) Smile

I deal with temptation by giving in...
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feh, its ok.
It caused a lot of contention.
But the gist was…what should we, as D6 players do with the new information in the SW universe? Especially considering that no more official D6 material will ever come out to expand on, and update the changing SW mythos.

It lead to a bunch of big debates and such. So it was removed, but perhaps you could get Loc to put it back up or to send you a copy in notepad or word if you really want to read it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: