The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Time Travel Campaign - help with events
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Time Travel Campaign - help with events Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sid Sonoma
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Time Travel Campaign - help with events Reply with quote

Hello all,

First off i want to thank everyone on the boards for keeping d6 Star Wars alive. I have been visiting these boards for awhile to keep updated on ideas and conversions of Saga and d20 stuff. I ran d6 Star Wars when it came out in my youth all the way throughout my High School years. Now, many(x5) years later, my normal gaming group wants a Star wars game and i volunteered. I'm a little rusty but i have still have all my notes from running campaigns before.

When I asked my group what era I got a mix of them all. They wanted to interact in major events and with major characters.

I read somewhere, either here or on one of the other forums, about a time travelling campaign. That intrigued me so I stole some of the premise with a twist.

The villian: a Sith Master (somewhere in time around 137+ABY in The New Empire Era) with a unique version of Shatterpoint sight. He is able to see all of History laid out before him with critical points identified where his present could be changed for his own purposes (still working on what those would be).
He has discovered a way to create a portal thru technical means to send others back thru time to these critical points to change events.

A Jedi Master (who has the same Shatterpoint ability and just might be the brother of the Sith) learns of this and through meditation in the force realizes he can't sent people back to prevent the changes but instead has to recruit from the past to stop it. (My logic - go figure). The Master, who has been working on a Holocron, stages an attack with help of other jedi on the facility of the sith , in the battle that ensues the Sith strikes him down allowing him to "merge" with his holocron (held by another Jedi) which is then thrown thru the portal.

Heroes: PC's obviously (sometime in the Old Republic)

So, after that wall of text background here is what the idea is. The group will receive a ship through a series of adventures that has the holocron socketed to it to allow for jumps forward in time to specific times to prevent the changes from happening. It will be chronological jumps forward, once forward they can't go back.

2 Examples.
Stop the assassination of Yoda during his training by Master N'Kata Del Gormo.
Prevent the destruction of Millenium Falcon at the Corellian Orbital Shipyards.

I have about 6-7 Shatterpoints written down and also plan on having them do extended stays during Clone Wars and Rebellion to help out. They will encounter and help out main characters in other ways during this time ex. Rescue of Ackbar from Tarkin, help arrange defection of Crix Madine, etc.

The group will eventually end up at the battle between the Sith and Jedi, arriving just as the Jedi dies and the Holocron going thru the portal.

The group doesn't have to succeed at all the points. "Adding a pebble to the stream doesn't change the course of the river" ideal, but multiple pebbles might start adding up. The characters may die, they don't have Plot immunity (including the ship - i got a particularily evil one for that). New characters would just add on from current era they are in. Even the Holocron is up for grabs!! I could see it being stolen at some point .....

I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas for possible "Shatterpoints" that are unique "nuggets" of Star Wars History that haven't been thoroughly expanded upon. I appreciate any input.

Thank you all again.
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Birth of Anakin on Tatooine, the construction of R2D2, Luke surviving his run on Beggars Canyon in his skyhopper, the destroying shot on the deathstar, Luke surviving the wampa...

Just a few involving the original movies.
Keith
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows about

Phantom menace time
Shooting down amidala's ship, preventing Obiwan and Quigon even getting to Tatoine. Darth maul no die, palpaltines thoughts for naboo go unhindered.

Taking anakin out during the pod race so Quigon and co are stuck

Taking out maul/qui/obi during their fight.

Clone war time
Stopping anakin taking out revenge on the sand people (since this imo was a big catalyst in him turning to the dark side later)
Stomping on the jedi during the arena fight.

Revege of the sith
Stopping mace and co taking out palpaltine.
Stopping obiwan and anakin from boarding the separatist cap ship an rescuing palpaltine
Stopping anakin going all apeship in the jedi temple

A new hope
Stopping Luke joining up with Han
preventing luke from destroying the death star
preventing luke rescuing Leia

Empire strikes back
Stopping yoda training luke

There are some good one.s

Also, what would Palpaltine/vader's input on this be if they find out (and with palpaltines farseeing, i can easily see them knowing)..

Lastly, what is this shatterpoint sight?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Clone war time
Stopping anakin taking out revenge on the sand people

I'd go back a step sooner. If Shmi Skywalker can be rescued before she dies, it lessens (but may not totally remove) Anakin's motive for revenge.

Quote:
Revege of the sith
Stopping mace and co taking out palpaltine.

I assume you mean the attempt to arrest Palpatine.
I'd also add the death of Amidala
I'd add the birth of both children i.e. what if Luke, Leia, or both die in childbirth?

Quote:
A new hope
preventing luke from destroying the death star

You could add escape of R2D2 (and C3P0) with Death Star plans and sale to Owen Lars (just think what happens if the Jawas' red R5 droid doesn't blow a gasket).

Quote:
Empire strikes back
Stopping yoda training luke

Stopping Vader from landing on Endor or preventing Vader from entering the room with Luke and the Emperor.

Quote:
Lastly, what is this shatterpoint sight?

Shatterpoints were a complex Force phenomenon, perceivable only by an unknown innate talent or immense focus and concentration on the part of the Force-user. Shatterpoints were akin to fault lines, and adept Force-users were able to perceive these faults through the Force, and influence them. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shatterpoint
Sid Sonoma
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like alot of these.

garhkal wrote:
Hows about

Phantom menace time
Shooting down amidala's ship, preventing Obiwan and Quigon even getting to Tatoine. Darth maul no die, palpaltines thoughts for naboo go unhindered

Hmm.. have them jump in as the ship is leaving naboo but under attack by more than just the droid ships...

garhkal wrote:

Taking anakin out during the pod race so Quigon and co are stuck

Maybe PC have run in with the Siths forces, Sand People and Jabba's men...

garhkal wrote:

Clone war time
Stomping on the jedi during the arena fight.

The Sith is going to be subtle in changes, a bunch of red saber siths showing up might be too much, what if he sends back a bunch of troopers disguised in clone armor during the battle after the arena? Hmm...
bren wrote:

You could add escape of R2D2 (and C3P0) with Death Star plans and sale to Owen Lars (just think what happens if the Jawas' red R5 droid doesn't blow a gasket).

garhkal wrote:

A new hope

The Sith sends back someone to fix the red droid and buy R2 before being sold to Lars....this would put the PC's in a time crunch. Rescue R2, get him to Obiwan, pick up Luke (convince Owen to let him go since he wouldn't of been killed?), and get to Mos Eisley. Maybe find that Han has already booked another fare and now has to convince or arrange for that fare to travel another way. All in time for them to leave and save Leia before being executed? I like it.

garhkal wrote:

Also, what would Palpaltine/vader's input on this be if they find out (and with palpaltines farseeing, i can easily see them knowing)..

I could see them looking for this ship. Maybe the Holocron will end up in there hands....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only aspect i can see issues with doing something like this, is how would you 'get it' across to the pcs that said point in time IS important, without going over board on the Deus ex machina/metagaming knowledge..
Sid Sonoma
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Holocron would have to explain this is a Major Shatterpoint. That an R2 droid that should be currently in the hands of Jawas needs to make it to its "owner" within next 2 days.

R2's mission is to find Obi wan, I remember him saying to luke he was the property of Obi wan? Whether the group decides to help him or not is up to them. If they take him to Obi wan, I can't see Obi leaving without Luke since he is to protect him.

The interesting parts will be if the PC's met Obi wan or R2 in the past an what the reactions will be.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of the shatterpoints would focus on the choices that Anakin and Luke made. They are the central figures in the rise and fall of the Sith/Empire. And keep in mind that other than the Force visions, the information about the past would be what is available to recorded history. I would say that a lot of the details of the lives of the movie characters wouldn't be known in 137 ABY.

Interesting ideas, Sid. Please let us know the details of your game as it develops and is played! Thanks.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid Sonoma wrote:
The Holocron would have to explain this is a Major Shatterpoint. That an R2 droid that should be currently in the hands of Jawas needs to make it to its "owner" within next 2 days.

R2's mission is to find Obi wan, I remember him saying to luke he was the property of Obi wan? Whether the group decides to help him or not is up to them. If they take him to Obi wan, I can't see Obi leaving without Luke since he is to protect him.

The interesting parts will be if the PC's met Obi wan or R2 in the past an what the reactions will be.

A) have they aleady made pcs up and one is being a force user? I ask since you have to be one to even use a holocron.
B) have you decided what will happen if they either do NOT bother doing it, or fail?
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The only aspect i can see issues with doing something like this, is how would you 'get it' across to the pcs that said point in time IS important, without going over board on the Deus ex machina/metagaming knowledge..

One solution for this would be to have the time-jumping semi-random like in good old Quantum Leap.... hey, why are these starships so weird? why are all these people running around with lightsabers?

This would be kind of cool with an SW game because the changes in tech/year could be a little hard to pinpoint right away after the "jump". Then the players would have to guess.... hey, we're on Yavin... outside a big temple... what's that thing that looks like a small moon?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are the PC's jumping in time??
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:

One solution for this would be to have the time-jumping semi-random like in good old Quantum Leap.... hey, why are these starships so weird? why are all these people running around with lightsabers?

Swiss cheese memory and all? That could certainly be interesting. Of course you'd have to keep it to within the PCs lifetime so it would probably have to be within the life time of the youngest member of the group. Though Quantum Leap did have a couple that were outside of Sam's lifetime, The Leap Back and The Leap Between the States that one could claim as a precedent. But The Leap Between the States was rather uncharacteristic of the show because it was outside of anyone's lifetime being back to the 1860s right in the middle of the American Civil War. The Leap Back was in Al's life time because of the whole screwball leap at the end of the Season 3 finalle which had Sam and Al switching places temporarily. So really that wouldn't set a precedent for someone leaping outside of their life time.

Wanted Poster
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Travel Campaign - help with events Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So are the PC's jumping in time??

Sid Sonoma wrote:
The group will receive a ship through a series of adventures that has the holocron socketed to it to allow for jumps forward in time to specific times to prevent the changes from happening. It will be chronological jumps forward, once forward they can't go back.

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot see a holocron giving any sort of time travel capacity.. Knowledge of what happens.. yea. but actually allowing time travel? no dice..
Sid Sonoma
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that is is extreme. I can't argue that. But here is what i would say is happening.

To me: Hyperspace IS a form of Time travel. You are bending space time to arrive somewhere earlier than normal time. I also believe that hyperspace travel is not a straight aim shot. I think it involves turns and archs to get where it is going. The Holocron is conected with the ships Hyperdrive. Presuming that the Master inside the holocron has a form of Instinctive Astrogation and a greater understanding of Theorical Physics (maybe borrowing some Star Trek sling around suns/blackhole ideas), he uses his knowledge to guide the ship as close as he can to certain events in time. As i said earlier, they can only go forward (reasoning is to go back to fix one event in the past after one change in the future might affect the future change you already did - i don't want to keep all that straight in my head yet).

A stretch to be sure. But if it is fun for the players (and myself), then i don't have a problem with it.

And the group has 3 Jedi and 1 Force Sensitive in addition to non-force characters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: