The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Force Powers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halda
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Force Powers Reply with quote

I am just looking for some help in interpreting the force power rules.

In the revised and expanded edition (this is all paraphrased) it states that you need a teacher to get new force powers, but you can increase force skills (at double time and cost without a teacher).

Now usually you get a force power every time you increase a force skill, but what if you do it without a teacher? Do you get just the stat increase?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c- beams glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. - Roy Batty, Blade Runner
Phaedrus
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the current campaign I'm running, I've got two force sensitive characters who started off with some dice in Control and Sense, with a couple of force powers each. As they went along they would spend CP in their Force Attribute to raise them up, but I wouldn't let them gain a new power. After they reached 3D, though, I let them teach each other the powers they knew, this way they could pick up something new Very Happy

Actually, I'm about to send them on a quest to find a Master to train from. This should be a very big turning point in the campaign, and I look forward to see how these two character progress as Jedi.

~ phaedrus
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to find the Jedi master slant a little awkward in my groups campaign setting, (just after ROTJ). So we used the holocron/lost lore method.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lost lore method is the way that I generally go with this. The idea is to keep the Jedi characters constantly on a quest to up their Jedi powers.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta go with the master approach... and if it's in an era where Jedi are not accepted so much, the search for the master is all the more fun... Very Happy

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but then you end up with a whole bunch of Jedi’s that survived the purge.

And personally, I tend to think Lord Vader would be a bit more thorough than that.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:
I tend to find the Jedi master slant a little awkward in my groups campaign setting, (just after ROTJ). So we used the holocron/lost lore method.

Thats definitely what I'd use since there aren't supposed to be too many Jedi left 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking about continuity last night. There has to be a balance between what is in continuity with the movies and what is fun. If you really wanted true continuity, then your characters will get stamped out by Vader by the time they get any notable skill with the Force. Sometimes it is best to perhaps go with a bit of an "Infinities" approach to the games.

The last game I played in I was in a group of four Jedi. In the end we got sent to Courescant on what the GM called "The Suicide Mission." We were the Rebel spies that planted bugs that resulted in the capture of the Death Star plans. We expected to go out in a blaze of glory getting killed by Vader. However, it turned out that we were able to separate Vader and the Emperor and... er... defend ourselves to their deaths. Wink

Screw Episodes IV-VI, but hey... it was a great way to end a campaign.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four Jedis, wow, thats alot, was there only four players?

As a GM I probably wouldn't have appreciated every player to play the same type of character. 8)

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now usually you get a force power every time you increase a force skill, but what if you do it without a teacher? Do you get just the stat increase?

Officially, even without a teacher a jedi can learn new powers. Think of it as expanding upon the powers s/he already has. If you only have one jedi in the story it makes him or her work harder to gain those force powers and improve their force skills. I would also limit what force powers can be learned so things don't get too crazy. It provides a reason why the lone jedi might seek out a master or some other training device.

"I don't buy that cluck like a dog, bark like a chicken stuff." -Col. Jack O'Neill
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rathe Ehtar wrote:
Quote:

Officially, even without a teacher a jedi can learn new powers. Think of it as expanding upon the powers s/he already has. If you only have one jedi in the story it makes him or her work harder to gain those force powers and improve their force skills. I would also limit what force powers can be learned so things don't get too crazy. It provides a reason why the lone jedi might seek out a master or some other training device.

sounds logical to me, that would also have your player experimenting different things while training, to produce different effect, maybe have them play it out in detail to give them a little work. 8)

Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Force Powers Reply with quote

Halda wrote:
...Now usually you get a force power every time you increase a force skill, but what if you do it without a teacher? Do you get just the stat increase?

Yes. You understand the official rule correctly.

I don't see any problem with a Jedi character who has 1-7 force powers when he starts, but can't gain any more because there are no more Jedi masters. This fits the Rebellion period well. Often new directors ignore the game's limitations on Jedi characters and then they complain when the Jedi grows too powerful.

Idea House Rule:
As director, I didn't want my Jedi players' character to just be stuck, so I softened this rule a little bit. I figured the only way to learn a force power when you don't have a master is to have the power used on your character and then only if the Jedi character has 3D in the required force skill(s). He could spend 5 CPs when he raises his force skill at the end of this adventure (assuming he has enough CPs & don't forget the doubled cost) to gain the power which he has experienced first hand.

I have allowed player characters to teach each other the meager skills they know, but only if both of the padawans have 3D in the required force skill(s) and the teacher has 3D in instruction.

Also, there must have been a first Jedi who had no master at some point, so; Any Jedi who has 5D in the required force skill(s) and 5D in some mundane skill - such as (A)Medicine? should be able to create a force skill related to his mundane skill - accelerate healing? - resist stun? by raising the force skill(s) involved {don't forget the doubled cost} + 5 CPs to develop the skill. This Jedi master could develop one additional force power for each die he raises the force skill(s).

Thus, a single Jedi could develop a few skills in his field of expertise, but it would take several over a long time to develop the list of skills in the game. This seems to fit with the movies. But, again, this was just my house rule.
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Force powers.. Reply with quote

I made it if the characters wanna try to get a force power with out a teacher..its really really really really hard. Sometimes the force can teach you powers. They can increase a stat without a teacher and then roll there new die code. If the skill is one with out prereq's its like..moderatey..(12) for each prereq its a plus (3 or 5)
worfbacca
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: So technically Reply with quote

So technically a character could spend the 5 character points per power if they wanted one..and if they fail the roll..toooooo bad..maybe I'll give half back.
LoneStar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I'd like to do. If the Jedi wanna-be doesn't have a teacher, he can't learn any new powers. If he has one, he can learn a power by spending 5 Character pts. I do that because I used to play a Jedi apprentice and after a short while, I had almost all the powers available that I was interested in (most of them ^__^ ).

But I'm wondering if I shouldn't be less strict when the apprentice has very few power. I have a player with a new young Jedi character. He has only 2 powers right now and I will soon give him an adventure where he can discover a Jedi holocron. I guess it would take him forever to get a reasonable amount of powers.

What do you guys think ? Is 5 Character pts a good number ?

LoneStar (perplexed)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: