The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Force Powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Force Powers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When our group played jedi and were learning force powers we had to spend CP to raise our force attribute to get a power under it or we had to spend 5 CP.
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go with 10 CP. I know that seems like a lot of character points, but we are talking about the potential of an extremely powerful character.

If martial arts maneuvers for Spec. Force chars are 10 CP each (if you don't raise your Martial Arts specialty by a full +1D), then why would new Force skills be only +5 CP?

This is how it went down when I was a player: we had a Jedi instructor (he refused to be called a 'Master' ["I never earned it, not sure I ever will"]) until Vader got him, who gave us an encrypted datafile to the location of a few minor jedi relics (an incomplete holocron, some data pads, a few lightsaber parts, some Adegan crystals, and some ancient printed texts), and the chars took several game sessions to find the cache, then several more running from Imperials, then a few more just to try and find a secluded world on which to try the goodies out.

It was a lengthy story to be certain, but by the time it was over, I suppose the GM felt okay about giving us what amounted to 10-15 new jedi powers, instruction (via the holocron) to learn Alter, and the necessary raw materials and plans to construct our own lightsabers.

We were almost capable padawans by the time Endor fell. So, we were ale to assist in the construction of the Yavin 4 academy. Then the game disbanded, but I assume we would have continued helping Master Skywalker in finding possible new recruits.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 CPs sounds reasonable, but I was more caught up in the description of your campaign. It sounds well thought out. A challenging campaign is usually more fun.

-Without the risk of failure there is no hope of glory.
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I learned a great deal from that GM. He opened up my overly descriptive world and allowed me to do some "seat of the pants" work. It really made me a better storyteller.

My players don't complain any way.
Kabal
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to how the Force is handled, I have to admit that I greatly prefer the first edition over the 2nd (or <gag> Revised and Expanded).

In 2nd Edition, there is too much emphasis on the specific powers, and how many a character knows, how they can be gained, how many you get for each increase in your Force Stats. I see that as being too structured, too rigid, almost as if they were spells that needed to be memorized. I feel that this goes against the very spirit of the Force.

I view Force use taking the basic elements of Control, Sense, and Alter, and blending them together to get the desired effect. Perhaps it has something to do with my preferred timeline for campaigns that I run (which almost always take place during the original trilogy, usually between ANH and ESB).

In my games, I run the Force as fluid and unstructured. All a Force user needs to do is give me a description of what they would like done, and I tell them which stat(s) they need to roll, and what the difficulty numbers are.
Scrawprin
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kabal wrote:
When it comes to how the Force is handled, I have to admit that I greatly prefer the first edition...I view Force use taking the basic elements of Control, Sense, and Alter, and blending them together to get the desired effect...In my games, I run the Force as fluid and unstructured. All a Force user needs to do is give me a description of what they would like done, and I tell them which stat(s) they need to roll, and what the difficulty numbers are.

Agreed.

Kabal wrote:
...my preferred timeline for campaigns that I run (which almost always take place during the original trilogy, usually between ANH and ESB).

Another GM after my own heart. Very Happy
Icebrand
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When it comes to how the Force is handled, I have to admit that I greatly prefer the first edition...I view Force use taking the basic elements of Control, Sense, and Alter, and blending them together to get the desired effect...In my games, I run the Force as fluid and unstructured. All a Force user needs to do is give me a description of what they would like done, and I tell them which stat(s) they need to roll, and what the difficulty numbers are.

WOW. Well, i would * really * have loved that (my jedi had 6/6/6 on force skills, but since we didn't add sense to lightsaber combat he was far for "powerful" combatwise... Plus with the bunch of points i spent on force skills almost every other characte could do the same stuff i did with skills and equip... :S )

Cheers,
Alex
Take my sun away, away...
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Ragnar forgot to mention up above is that in our group, it was 5cp or the base attribute when trained by a master; when training yourself, all cp costs and time spent were doubled.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the Jedi purge it gets very hard to find a teacher. Can a Force spirit qualify as one? Luke advances his skills and learns new powers between ANH and ESB. It says in the rules that you can ONLY learn new powers from a teacher(R&E pg 141). Was Obi-Wan somehow training him during this time?
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Luke's a very powerful Jedi from the most powerful "jedi lineage" ever seen in the Galaxy.

I believe R&E notes that it's possible for characters to invent powers, but only very rarely and if they are very powerful. I'd think Luke did that between ANH and ESB by "reinventing the wheel" as far as developing his Telekenesis went.

Then again, the "You can't learn new powers without a teacher ever nuh uh no way" always sounded fishy to me. Force Sensitives had to develop powers from scratch in the very beginning somehow, right?

I think it's just WEG's bias toward keeping Jedi scarce in their chosen play-era, which is during the Galactic Civil War.

I'm more inclined to just increase xp costs and training time just as with anything else.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xzil Maru
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always figured every force sensitive has certain talents (telekinesis, enhance attribute [one particular attribute until he trains a bit], farseeing that sort of thing) so usually in my games if someone is force sensitive I give them a power [usually secretly depending on the character, other times I'll discuss with the player] and have it kick in from time to time, asking for a perception check or relevant force skill roll.

I figure that training brings out your natural talents, as much as it can let you learn new techniques.

I've never had a problem with a character developing a new power on their own, although the first one is more of a freebie to make their character playable.

Oh, and if you aren't having the Inquistitorium hunt down the force using charaters in the Empire era, your doing something wrong. Any Empire era game I run, I have somebody hunting down the force sensitives as a matter of course. It usually fun to have the dark side user offer the PCs to join them the first time they meet, and be utterly ruthless if not efficient in the hunt.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, and if you aren't having the Inquistitorium hunt down the force using charaters in the Empire era, your doing something wrong. Any Empire era game I run, I have somebody hunting down the force sensitives as a matter of course. It usually fun to have the dark side user offer the PCs to join them the first time they meet, and be utterly ruthless if not efficient in the hunt.

Agreed. This is part of the price you have to pay for using the Force in the Rebellion Era. I like the idea that using the force is like throwing a stone in a pond. It sends out little ripples and it's only a matter of time before the inquisitor or Jedi hunter feels it.

Would it be possible though, for a force spirit to teach a char at least one force power? In my game I am thinking of a "redeem the fallen Jedi" hook only the Jedi died during the purge and fell to the dark side. As part of the reward I was thinking he could learn a new power. Has anyone used the "Domain of Evil" adventure?
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xzil Maru wrote:
Oh, and if you aren't having the Inquistitorium hunt down the force using charaters in the Empire era, your doing something wrong. Any Empire era game I run, I have somebody hunting down the force sensitives as a matter of course.

I agree.

I usually use bounty hunters. Dark adepts should also be rare.

A bounty hunter, or group of bounty hunters, every third adventure or so tends to keep the players on the run...I mean on their toes.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Force Powers Reply with quote

Halda wrote:
I am just looking for some help in interpreting the force power rules.

In the revised and expanded edition (this is all paraphrased) it states that you need a teacher to get new force powers, but you can increase force skills (at double time and cost without a teacher).

Now usually you get a force power every time you increase a force skill, but what if you do it without a teacher? Do you get just the stat increase?

The second edition, revised and expanded, says that a Jedi may be taught new powers by a teacher, a holocron, or a document or item specifically inteded to train that power. So a Jedi character really doesn't need a teacher to be able to learn the power, though I'm sure it would help.

Wanted Poster
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If martial arts maneuvers for Spec. Force chars are 10 CP each (if you don't raise your Martial Arts specialty by a full +1D), then why would new Force skills be only +5 CP?

I too am looking for realistic methods of letting my Jedi improve without them getting out of control. How about borrowing from the martial arts rules?

For every +1D a Jedi improves he gets one Force power for free. However powers that use more than one skill count as two powers. For example, to get Lightsaber Combat for free the Jedi has to improve both Control and Sense skills by +1D. Of course the point cost for improving the skills is still doubled without a master.

To say that Jedi can't learn without a teacher or holocron, lore...etc is a little unrealistic. How did the master learn it? Somebody had to invent each Force power at some point. Whose to say they can't be reinvented?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: