The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Black Ice help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Black Ice help Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
the game is about having fun. Yes they have a gaping hole in their skill set, and im all for exploiting it. But not at the expense of killing them all and or making the game less fun. if there is a series of week long dogfights, that wont work with this group for a climax.

So they can only have fun playing to their strengths?
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
vong wrote:
the game is about having fun. Yes they have a gaping hole in their skill set, and im all for exploiting it. But not at the expense of killing them all and or making the game less fun. if there is a series of week long dogfights, that wont work with this group for a climax.

So they can only have fun playing to their strengths?

Oh no, its fun playing to their weaknesses too. But since this is the climax, it would only become frustrating in my opinion and would be much less fun.

If you dialed back the opposition then it could still work, but assuming the players all have 2-3D in mechanical, you cant give the enemies more then that as there will be more of them.

I find its always best to play the PCs weaknesses during regular play, and play to their strengths during the climax. it gives their players a better sense of "I ARE AWESOME"

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vong wrote:
I find its always best to play the PCs weaknesses during regular play, and play to their strengths during the climax. it gives their players a better sense of "I ARE AWESOME"

Vong, I like this notion, a lot.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i feel in the minority there...
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I guess i feel in the minority there...

Well it's an old discussion. Smile

I was recently reading about the GNS Theory, of roleplaying gaming as originally developed by Ron Edwards. If you haven't seen it, you might find it interesting. I'd be curious how you might characterize your gaming style. It is much more open to a gamist style of play than much that is written on gaming.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a link?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Got a link?

Wiki has an overview at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNS_Theory

More detailed original articles by the author are here:
1) Simulationism: The Right to Dream - http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/15/
2) Gamism: Step On Up - http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/21/
3) Narrativism: Story Now - http://www.indie-rpgs.com/_articles/narr_essay.html

Metagaming discussions are not everyone’s cup of tea and sometimes the articles are a bit dense reading and some examples are from unfamiliar (to me) game systems, but overall I thought this was a very interesting look at types and styles of gaming. Unlike many comments by gamers, this looks at the different styles without an obvious bias to a particular set of preferences and without denigrating the other styles.

Makes me curious what styles I and my players prefer. It also made me curious as to which styles D6 is best suited.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Black Ice is definitely a module where being over-specialized creates problems: from the infiltration of the facility at the beginning, to the stealing of the Black Ice, to the subsequent battles, & the climax this is a module requiring a broad skill base. While NPCs might help alleviate this, such works best for a small group rather than even the customary 6 or so. It is also a module best run in stages over a longer period rather than a single evening.
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:
...Black Ice is definitely a module where being over-specialized creates problems: from the infiltration of the facility at the beginning, to the stealing of the Black Ice, to the subsequent battles, & the climax this is a module requiring a broad skill base. While NPCs might help alleviate this, such works best for a small group rather than even the customary 6 or so. It is also a module best run in stages over a longer period rather than a single evening.

As someone who has never played this adventure but is considering picking it up off ebay, how would you all rate Black Ice?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give it a solid 6 out of 10.
Admiral Tolval
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they have Space Transports skill? The TIS Zeta 19's in the Han Solo and the CSA sourcebook requires Space Transports instead of Starfighter piloting.

Loved running this adventure. I had a habit of doubling the enemies encountered if a player started looking through my books when I had to leave the room. Once I had to take a player out of the room for info only he was supposed to know. He had a passing knowledge about Black Ice and knew about the Torpedeo Sphere. One of the other players waited a couple of minutes and said out loud, "I'm looking through the book." I announced that was okay that I would double the enemies. The player I took out said, "Yeah, go ahead and look." Than he looked at me, saw me smiling, remembered the Sphere, turned white, and yelled back at the other player, "(player's name)!! Put down that d*** book!" We all just started laughing. That happened thirteen years ago and we still laugh about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: