The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

FFG SW RPG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> FFG SW RPG Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the only gripes I've heard about the game seem to be coming from people who haven't played it. I.E., "I don't want to pay that much for an RPG book." and "Why should we have to buy all new dice just to play."

I've not heard anyone say anything negative about the actual gameplay yet. I'd be interested to hear your honest appraisal of it.

Personally, I've run through the beginner game and found it to be fun, but challenging for us all to think on our feet with the narrative dice. That is to say we're used to "X numerical roll has Y game result." Of course there's been flexibility within that, but not quite this much flexibility. But even the beginner game is a far cry from the full RPG.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing a lot of Marvel Heroic Roleplaying lately (great game, btw!), and it's quite the change of pace from most RPGs I've become familiar with over the last 3+ decades.

Narrative games like this (and this new SW game) take a bit of getting used to, but they're also a great deal of dun, giving both the GM and the players a lot of flexibility and opening the door for a ton of creativity. They're not for everyone, but once you get the hang of them, they can be tremendously enjoyable!
gallandro
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running Edge of the Empire steadily for the last 6 months with my WEG group... everyone loves the new system. As DougRed4 said, it's a narrative system so for some old time gamers who are more used to tactical combat and counting hexes, there may be a bit of an adjustment. However, the game flows incredibly well and combat is quick.

The book itself is absolutely gorgeous and dense with detail, so even with the $60 price tag it's a pretty solid value.

Yancy
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! I just googled this game and the artwork is easily the best I've seen in ANY RPG book. Even D&D isnt quite up to this level artwork-wise. That alone is enough to at least get me to try the game.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Age of Rebellion just got a product link for the Beta version. A lot of folks are surprised that they've got an open beta for this book. But apparently they're going to have enough new talents and such to make it worthwhile:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=245&esem=2
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read and studied the new system and I must say I like it very much. D6 is going to have a deserved, final rest.....I will just add to FFG this and that from D6/D20 Wink.

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
jmanski

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree- d6 will continue to thrive due to community support. The new game may do well, but d6 is just too beloved.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also disagree, Nico. I also like many of the elements of the new FFG system, but I still think that d6 is superior. At its core, d6 is still all about determining a difficulty number and rolling to resolve, while always putting the game mechanics as secondary to the story and having fun. That simplicity and focus on the story elements is, I think, still unmatched, even by the FFG system.

While having 448 pages for a core rulebook is impressive, I think it also points to part of the FFG system weakness. I think it's too rule-focused. The narrative dice provide some interesting results, but I also think they may force certain interpretations of the die rolls. In other words, a straight d6 roll may involve rolling against a difficulty that is only known to the GM, whereas narrative dice seem to "lock in" success or failure, without allowing the GM to guide the story, notwithstanding threats or advantages. I think d6 rules allow, and even require, a greater level of creativity, and greater range of possibilities, from the GM, and I think that's a good thing.

The talent trees in the FFG system also seem overly complicated and elaborate, whereas developing a d6 character sheet can be done quickly, with an infinite range of possible configurations. Also, while obligation and duty seem to be interesting game-mechanics ways to drive story plots, I think they are another example of forcing story to fit within a mechanical system. Creative GMs and PCs in the d6 system should be able to incorporate elements of duty and obligation without forced dice rolls.

That's my opinion, but I respect those of other people, and have not played the FFG system - although I have bought basically all of the available material to date, and have listened to the talented Jay Little and others describe the FFG system. I think it's great to see some new ideas, and the plethora of new materials that will be generated by FFG, but I still think one of the most exciting things to see from all of this will be the new conversions to the d6 system that will take place to incorporate these new materials into a time-tested system that oozes Star Wars from its core!
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Red 331 in every way.

While I absolutely love everything FFG does (particularly with 40k roleplay), I think d6 Star Wars is practically perfect for the type of game I want to run.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very well said, Red 331! Very Happy
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nico_Davout wrote:
I have read and studied the new system and I must say I like it very much. D6 is going to have a deserved, final rest.....I will just add to FFG this and that from D6/D20 Wink.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Nico, but I'm not so sure he's saying this is the end of D6 (after all, we've been officially unsupported since before I started playing RPGs). I think he's saying that HE is going to give D6 a well earned rest, and just draw from it when he plays FFG's system.

Actually, quite a few people are doing this. You find frequent references to the D6 books on the FFG forums and on d20 radio.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Yes, I am going to give D6 a rest Smile.

Red 331,

FFG is too rule-focused? I find it completely opposite when I compare Astrogation, Movement, Space Combat FFG rules to D6, D20 or SAGA. It is for me even a bit too little rule-focused.

I also don't like talent trees and going to skip Obligations mechanics that I find artificial. Prefer to see Obligations as Motivations, something to use to build a background story for a PC.

Anyway, SW D6 rulebook rests in peace on my shelve...but I am not going to sell it ever ever, nor other books ... actually I am still hunting some of them.

[EDIT: Finally I've found a cheap copy of Far Orbit Project Very Happy !]

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nico - you have the advantage in that it sounds like you've actually run the FFG system, and I've mainly just looked through the books and listened to some of the Order 66 Podcasts from D20 Radio. It's pretty cool to hear Jay Little talk about the FFG system - he seems very passionate about it, and must have really invested a ton of time and effort into it. It sounds like he's had some really bad health problems though - did I hear he was leaving FFG? Incidentally, I think it would have been awesome if they'd had podcasts and similar media coverage from the WEG staff back when they were developing Star Wars material. Did I hear someone was working on a Star Wars d6 podcast?

I took a look at the astrogation section in the FFG Core book, and I agree with you - that looks a little more basic than the d6 rules (at least 2nd R&E). Movement also looks a little more simple in FFG than d6 2R&E, but probably not d6 1st Ed. I'd argue that starship combat is of similar complexity based on a quick look at the rulebooks, and just in the number of pages used to cover it (4 pages in 2R&E and about 8 in FFG).

Similarly, just in sheer number of pages, the FFG rulebook has over 300 pages of rules alone, whereas 2nd R&E is 288 for the whole kit-and-kaboodle (did I spell that right?) Smile Plus there's more text on an FFG page than the WEG rulebooks. Aren't there about a gazillion skills and talents in FFG too, or am I misinterpreting the tables? Again - I'd defer to your understanding, since you've actually played the FFG system.

One thing that also came to mind as I was leafing through both the FFG and 2nd R&E rulebooks yesterday was in terms of overall perspective. The artwork in the FFG book is stunning - absolutely amazing work! It also seems to be very well laid-out and organized. But when I went from looking through the FFG book, and took up the 2nd R&E, it was like being able to take a deep breath. Smile Probably some of this is just familiarity, but I love how the 2ndR&E book emphasizes over and over, if you don't like a rule, make up a new one. It's just a game. And all the in-universe commentary, along with all the examples and self-depreciating humor, it's just great how the WEG folks stressed the fun part of the game - and emphasized that it was, in fact, just a game, and not to take it too seriously.

That said, it's very impressive what Jay Little and the FFG folks put together, and I'm really looking forward to (and will probably continue to buy) future supplements and other materials from FFG. The art in the book alone almost makes it worth it. But I really do hope that folks in the Rancor Pit community continue to do the stat conversions to d6, so that we can buy the FFG books, but run them in d6 if we choose to.

Nico, how would you compare the process of interpreting the narrative dice compared to using the wild die mechanics? Do you think it encourages more creativity or less from the GM's perspective? What about the PCs'? And which WEG books are you still looking for? I may have an extra one I'd be willing to part with, just to make sure you stay grounded in the d6 system. Smile
cheshire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
Incidentally, I think it would have been awesome if they'd had podcasts and similar media coverage from the WEG staff back when they were developing Star Wars material. Did I hear someone was working on a Star Wars d6 podcast?

They have. Peter Schweighofer has been on once when the Force Unleashed Campaign guide came out. Also Sterling Hershey is more or less a regular on the show.

They made a passing comment about Fiddleback doing a WEG podcast, but I contacted him and it was all just a joke. Fiddleback hasn't even played D6. Quite a pity too, based on his Skill Monkey, I think he'd do wonderfully at navigating the Wild Die.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
Nico - you have the advantage in that it sounds like you've actually run the FFG system, and I've mainly just looked through the books and listened to some of the Order 66 Podcasts from D20 Radio.

Unfortunately not. Just bought the rulebook two weeks ago and it looks like I am not going to play any RPG soon due to language barriers....last year I had only two RPG sessions...when I visited my country. Planning to run FFG to my friends next time I will visit it again.

Red 331 wrote:
Nico, how would you compare the process of interpreting the narrative dice compared to using the wild die mechanics? Do you think it encourages more creativity or less from the GM's perspective?

Like I have said, I have not played it yet, but let me tell you this. I've played CoC a lot, but once I risked and bought this strange system Trail of Cthulhu. I read it and could not get it at first. Players rolled only for actions like shooting or jumping, everything else was based on spending points and saying what the PC does, what he wants to achieve with his skills. At first I, a GM, and PCs were very confused and unsure about it. But then we discovered awesome narrative-story-telling game. Never wanted to play CoC again. I run almost half of the Masks of Nyarlathotep and these were the best sessions of my life.
Although the system is different than in ToC, I see here the same potential. The possibility of obtaining good and bad effect in the same roll and need to interpret it, will make players more creative and scenes of combat more colorful Smile.

Red 331 wrote:
And which WEG books are you still looking for? I may have an extra one I'd be willing to part with, just to make sure you stay grounded in the d6 system.

The one that are sold for the highest prices on net Wink. Would love to have Lord of Expanse, Darkstryder, Secrets of the Sisar Run, all Adventure Journals Very Happy, Hideouts & Strongholds and Pirates and Privateers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 9 of 16

Jump to: