The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

FFG SW RPG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> FFG SW RPG Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

However, if someone fokuses on where WEG failed (cough, Equipment/Vehicle/Starship consistency cough) I might be temted to buy some products to transfer into D6. New interensting scenarios might also interest me, as long as they easily can be trasfered to the Ep. IV time.

Taking something that is consistent and translating it into a base that is inconsistent is not necessarily going to give you consistent results. In order to form a method of conversion you have to examine samples that exist in both formats. It appears that the creators of SAGA were at least very considerate to examine many D6 starships when constructing their d20 ships. It saved us a lot of headache.

If everything worked like character and droid conversion, there probably wouldn't be conversion guides.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote="ZzaphodD"]

However, if someone fokuses on where WEG failed [/quote]

I think "failed" might be a bit harsh. Few RPG have good, consitient, logical rules for vehicles and equipment. I do thing WEG could have handled some things better, but I think the system's biggest "flaw" is that it ceased being supported before the new films and series came out.

As has been said by others D6 Star Wars does a good job on things according tot he orginal trilogy, but isn't quite as good a fit for the latter stuff. It7s not WEG7s fault; there was no way for them to know what Lucas was going to add or modfiy in the future, and WEG did loose the liscence, so there was no way they could update things.

cheshire wrote:
[
Taking something that is consistent and translating it into a base that is inconsistent is not necessarily going to give you consistent results. In order to form a method of conversion you have to examine samples that exist in both formats. It appears that the creators of SAGA were at least very considerate to examine many D6 starships when constructing their d20 ships. It saved us a lot of headache.

It probably helped that some of the WEG staff were involved with the d20 Star Wars rules. They even had d6 version guidelines in the first d20 rulebook.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently it's official. Fantasy Flight Games has acquired the license to create new Star Wars games. (presumably, including a RPG)

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but no RPG yet, just the X-Wing Miniatures game and Star Wars the CCG...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
Apparently it's official. Fantasy Flight Games has acquired the license to create new Star Wars games. (presumably, including a RPG)

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/

Yes, it's official, and the license includes an RPG: http://www.starwars.com/games/othergames/fantasyflight_starwars/index.html
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I really like the feel of the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying game they have done.

I'm curious to see what they do with Star Wars, and how hard it will be to convert it to D6, . . .
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should we organize a movement/petition to attempt to get them to use Open D6 for the game system of their RPG?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Should we organize a movement/petition to attempt to get them to use Open D6 for the game system of their RPG?

I second the motion.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
Interesting. I really like the feel of the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying game they have done.

I'm an ol-time WFRP fan, and not a big enthusiast for what FFG did with that game.

Their strategy, which is understandable from a financial point of view, is to make it completely incompatible with the pre-existing material, produce a very high-priced core product with high-priced supplements that expand on the rules much more than the game world.

I'm not dogging their motive - if they can turn a dollar doing it, more strength to them. I just don't want to spend the money when I can get the same enjoyment from the old stuff.

Now, their strategy for Star Wars may be completely different. SW has a much different legacy than WFRP does, after all. Also, they may have learned some things from their foray into WFRP so that they can SW better.

For my part, being a grognard, I prefer fans to be in charge of an RPG, developing it in an online community. Given that Star Wars also has a thriving EU (which you may or may not care for), there's enough new stuff coming out in official publication that can be roleplay-ified by the fanbase, rather than needing a publishing company to do it for us.
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

(with all due respect:)

Fat chance!!

FFG is a game-design company; not a publishing company. Going with other people's game mechanics is not what they do. My guess is that they are going to build a very expensive box with a ton of little plastified cardboard components that will get lost in your couch and/or eaten by your pet. If you want to expand your game, you're going to have to buy supplementary material (not to mention replacements for said lost items) at high cost for marginal gain.

But I'm not jaded in the least...
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFG has published materials for the OGL D20 system in the past. Their Legends & Lairs series is a good example of this (I own several books from that line, and all of those have been very well done.) So there is precidence for them using an existing system for their produsts. With that said, I will be more than happy to sign a petition asking them to use the OGL D6 system.

Truth be told, the Warhammer RPG isnt any more expensive than any of WotC's D&D suppliments. I use the high quality boxes that the suppliments come in to store the pieces that come with the game. I've never had a problem with keeping track of all the pieces, but then again, I've never played the game on my couch or tried to feed the pieces to my dog or cats either, . . .

Personally, I've been happy with all of the FFG products I've bought over the years. I'll be pretty surprised if the new Star Wars Roleplaying game isnt very well done.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
FFG is a game-design company; not a publishing company. Going with other people's game mechanics is not what they do.

That is not correct...

Guardian_A wrote:
FFG has published materials for the OGL D20 system in the past. Their Legends & Lairs series is a good example of this (I own several books from that line, and all of those have been very well done.) So there is precidence for them using an existing system for their produsts. With that said, I will be more than happy to sign a petition asking them to use the OGL D6 system...

Personally, I've been happy with all of the FFG products I've bought over the years. I'll be pretty surprised if the new Star Wars Roleplaying game isnt very well done.

I have the entire line of FFG's Dragonstar books, and that game also uses d20. So as Guardian indicated, FFG does in fact have a history of using OGL game systems. And for a D&D Space Fantasy RPG, Dragonstar was not bad. There are several things in it that inspire me for my Star Wars game.

For my part, being a grognard, I prefer fans to be in charge of an RPG, developing it in an online community. Given that Star Wars also has a thriving EU (which you may or may not care for), there's enough new stuff coming out in official publication that can be roleplay-ified by the fanbase, rather than needing a publishing company to do it for us.

Of course. We don't need another Star Wars RPG at all. But its mere existense should not hinder you in any way from following your own RPG pursuits. It can be ignored. Let me put it another way...

When WEG published Star Wars D6, I played Star Wars D6. When WEG published new editions, I still played Star Wars D6. When WEG went bankrupt and stopped publishing Star Wars D6 altogether, I still played Star Wars D6. When WotC got the Star Wars game license and made Star Wars d20, I still played Star Wars D6. If FFG makes a new Star Wars D6, I'll still play Star Wars D6. If FFG makes a new Star Wars RPG with another game system, I'll still play Star Wars D6. That's grognard for ya!

And I assume that this site isn't going anywhere, and that all the WEG Star Wars fans here are not going to just jump ship no matter what FFG makes. So how could the a new SW RPG possibly prevent our fanbase from continuing to develop Star Wars D6 for our online community? Their stuff would only be a small part of the EU that could be adapted for our use.

Whether the new RPG is awesome or sucks, I don't see how that would negatively impact us in the slightest.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, my thoughts are that it likely wouldn't be of much benefit to myself and probably most of the people here. We as a forum are pretty good at coming up with stats and rules and the like, and there's not likely to be anything the pros can do that we can't do at least as well.

That said...
Whill wrote:

Fat chance!!

J.R.R. Tolkein wrote:
There never really was much chance. Just a fool's chance.

Sorry wrong universe for a second there...

The odds are slim to nil, but I'd still say it's worth a shot. What's the worst that could happen? We all get labeled "crack-brained reactionaries"? Very Happy

I am completely behind this "movement". Not because I think it will open up wonderful new worlds to us or anything, but I like the idea of increasing interest in SW D6. The pros may also do a lot of heavy lifting for us by statting a lot of new stuff if they go D6...

Complete Starship Construction System
Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I have the entire line of FFG's Dragonstar books, and that game also uses d20. So as Guardian indicated, FFG does in fact have a history of using OGL game systems.

Fair enough. I'll stand corrected. I suppose I'm channeling my inner crack-brained reactionary from WFRP. It's been known to happen.

Still, it seems to me like d20 has had its day. Is FFG still producing anything of that sort today?

Whill wrote:
Of course. We don't need another Star Wars RPG at all. But its mere existense should not hinder you in any way from following your own RPG pursuits. It can be ignored. Let me put it another way...

No question.

Whill wrote:
And I assume that this site isn't going anywhere, and that all the WEG Star Wars fans here are not going to just jump ship no matter what FFG makes. So how could the a new SW RPG possibly prevent our fanbase from continuing to develop Star Wars D6 for our online community? Their stuff would only be a small part of the EU that could be adapted for our use.

Whether the new RPG is awesome or sucks, I don't see how that would negatively impact us in the slightest.

Probably not. My observations are imported from Warhammer. There was a pretty severe split in the WFRP community along with some vitriol. You can tell me what happened in the SWRPG fanbase when D20 came out. Did something similar happen? Also, I imagine SW doesn't suffer from a similar dynamic as Games Workshop products do. There's a vibrant and multifaceted EU out there.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does kind of seem like D&D has seen a painful decline ever sense they released 4e. But I dont know that D20 as a whole has been hurt that bad. Games like Pathfinder which still use the 3.5 seem to be thriving.

To be honest, I havent seen much of the original Warhammer roleplaying game, so I dont really have much perspective on the differences between them. I'm sure that if I was involved with the previous version of the game, I'd probably be upset about a new version too.

I dont think that SW D20 has ever had a big following. Even at its hight, I still knew more GMs who prefered the old D6 game. While D20 works very well for D&D (At least up through 3.5), the system just didnt feel right for Star Wars. With that said, WotC did do one thing right with SW, . . . SW minis were awesome!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: