The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

BoSS: Aquiring a Ship or License
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> BoSS: Aquiring a Ship or License Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: BoSS: Aquiring a Ship or License Reply with quote

After reading the paragraphs about the Bureau of Ships and Services in Platts Starport Guide and Tramp Freighters I'm not sure how I can handle the aquisition of a starship.
The situation is: the players don't have a ship. But a friend (npc) owns a ship. So what do they have to do, if the npc dies?
If there is no last will, how do the officials know, that the pc can have the ship?

What needs to be forged by the pcs beside the IDs, transpondercode and captainslicense?

And how will they gain access to the ship? I mean are there any keys? Or a codesequence? (I've never thought about it Smile ) Maybe they have to break into it. (This is interesting, when the shipsowner dies in a more sudden and brutal way)

Any thoughts?
My idea is an adventure, like sneaking past the starport guards breaking into the ship, aquiring the old transponder code, getting the code to a forger/dealer (with the money probably from a crimeboss) and then I don't know. Maybe that's it.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what kind of adventure you want to have (bureaucratic/negotiation, or skulking/blasting), and IMO when you are running the adventure.

I'd guess on an Imperial world (or a greedy world) that if the owner had no will that somehow the Empire or planetary authorities take/lien the ship, and then sell it for "estate tax" (or require payment of same).

As for forgery/manipulation, the captain's license seems to be kind of a formality, so assuming the transponder/ship doc forgery goes well enough that would be an easier thing to fake, or possibly even not necessary to fake. Again, it depends on if they are trying this at Mos Eisley (a corrupt backwater) or on Elrood (a legalistic and bureaucratic mess).

Breaking into the ship would IMO be a Security check to bypass electronic locks/systems, or maybe a Sp Transports or Sp. Transport Repair check to bust in through a hatchway or some such and then trying to shut down the alarms/locks from the inside.

Your adventure outline seems fine. Maybe there are guards to secure the ship pending payment of estate tax/transfer costs, and after getting by that and into the ship (could be fun if the techies are doing that while the others fight off the guards) they have to dodge a patrol ship or starfighters to jump to wherever they're going to get the hack done, dodge that patrol (if you have a setting in which that info would travel that fast), and figure out where to get the work done.
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember, different starships have a couple of ways of starting up: a code cylinder and a startup code. I always assumed that they had one or the other in most cases.

As for the ship, if the characters have the means to use the ship (codes and whatnot) then it's just a matter of a getting a couple of things squared away with BoSS.

I'd handle it as the characters have to pay a "change of ownership" fee (bribe), since they lack documentation of ownership, to the BoSS clerk overseeing their case. Then of course, having to pay the actual fees for changing the registration and transponder codes.

Let me make you a picture!
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazardchris wrote:
From what I remember, different starships have a couple of ways of starting up: a code cylinder and a startup code. I always assumed that they had one or the other in most cases.

As for the ship, if the characters have the means to use the ship (codes and whatnot) then it's just a matter of a getting a couple of things squared away with BoSS.

I'd handle it as the characters have to pay a "change of ownership" fee (bribe), since they lack documentation of ownership, to the BoSS clerk overseeing their case. Then of course, having to pay the actual fees for changing the registration and transponder codes.

That's how I'd suggest it. Make it to where the Empire keeps the ship landed until the fee is payed (figure around 500 to the officer for doing it, add another 250 to 500 for the transponder codes). Just my 2 creds
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: BoSS: Aquiring a Ship or License Reply with quote

Yasriia wrote:
And how will they gain access to the ship? I mean are there any keys? Or a codesequence? (I've never thought about it Smile ) Maybe they have to break into it. (This is interesting, when the shipsowner dies in a more sudden and brutal way)

That depends on the prior owner.
I have had one pc who had just a handprint activation, one who had a 18 digit alpha numeric password, voice command and retinal scan to just even get in, followed by another 32 digit code to activate the controls. I have had some with both physical and electronic keys.

Yasriia wrote:

Any thoughts?
My idea is an adventure, like sneaking past the starport guards breaking into the ship, aquiring the old transponder code, getting the code to a forger/dealer (with the money probably from a crimeboss) and then I don't know. Maybe that's it.

If you go that route, then how will they acquire the codes to a forger? Find it? Have someone give it to them?
Will you have them ask around?

As for the will side. That depends. On one planet i loved to use in my old home games, Scaliar VII, in the Scal system, the local moff had it where if no LWAT was wrote for property (not just belongings) then it automatically went to the state. Ships were included. Another had it where IF taxes were owed, it was siesed and sold to pay off them.
A third was more of how it was in the old days. Each surviving family member had to make their case for why they should get it...
Black 5
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes me wonder if Slave 1 is still registered to Jango but nobody on the Executor wanted to point out the tags were out of date to Boba Fett...
Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group didnt found the time for playing, so I didnt found the time for answering.
Thanks everyone for your answers and suggestions. Right now I have an idea how to run it.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazardchris wrote:

Our last GM had this (good) idea that BoSS was more or less unbribebable. This meant having to find a corrupt Imperial with sufficient rank and get document of 'proof of ownership' (same when registering a ship to a captain who is not really a captain).
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see yet again that a game question can actually become the basis for an entire adventure module!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never liked that it seems 'relatively' easy to get all these forged BoSS stuff.. V.diff rolls and real low end heroic... Since by the RAW it would be the' ave of a 8d roll to get into the 30 point, and 8d is the best on a planet, it would seem there would be LOTS of people out there hacking the supposedly secure BoSS. Which is why to me it should be closer to around 45-50 to hack in..
Or better yet, the BoSS people have their own 'counter hackers' who roll their C P/R against the Pcs as a contested roll.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I have never liked that it seems 'relatively' easy to get all these forged BoSS stuff.. V.diff rolls and real low end heroic... Since by the RAW it would be the' ave of a 8d roll to get into the 30 point, and 8d is the best on a planet, it would seem there would be LOTS of people out there hacking the supposedly secure BoSS. Which is why to me it should be closer to around 45-50 to hack in..
Or better yet, the BoSS people have their own 'counter hackers' who roll their C P/R against the Pcs as a contested roll.

Getting that stuff should be part and parcel of a mission, not the result of a few dice rolls. The best example in the canon is Han Solo at Star End. He wanted a forged ID for the Falcon to get him on the CSA's waiver list, so he had to track down Doc, make a deal with Jessa, help defend her base from attack while the repairs and modifications were being made, then extract the operatives from Orron III, with the added complication of breaking Chewbacca and a lot of other people out of the most advanced prison in the galaxy. It was only at the end of all that that he was able to start utilizing the benefits of his new ID.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
garhkal wrote:

Well, if only about 1 to 5 people per planet are able to get forged BoSS documents, than that still gels that it isn't easy. Sure there will be lots of people running around with forged documents, not very many at all percentage wise out of the entire population of the galaxy.

Average people (skill of 2D) will NEVER (except for repeat 6's on the Wild Die) be able to get their hands on one of these docs. Player Characters are Heroes, so it still seems consistent to me that they would have an easiER (but not EASY) time getting forged docs.

crmcneill wrote:

Getting that stuff should be part and parcel of a mission, not the result of a few dice rolls.

Agreed per my above post..QED.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but when you look at the lowness (to me) of the target number, some starting template/race characters could be doing this right out of the get go.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I have never liked that it seems 'relatively' easy to get all these forged BoSS stuff.. V.diff rolls and real low end heroic... Since by the RAW it would be the' ave of a 8d roll to get into the 30 point, and 8d is the best on a planet, it would seem there would be LOTS of people out there hacking the supposedly secure BoSS.

A few points, some nit picky, some not so much
1) average roll on 8D6 is 28 not 30+ so usually (absent CP or FP use) the character will fail the roll.
2) I have yet to see a PC starting out with an 8D skill in anything. How exactly would they start that high. It seems they would need a 6D stat plus a 2D skill add, which would make them a bit one sided in Comp prog/repair to slice in. Wouldn't they also need forgery as well? That would potentially be another 6D stat + 2D skill. That seems like a very one dimensional character.
3) While 8D6 can often roll into the 30s. Usually the roll will be lower. What happens if they roll lower - computer intrusion counter measures activated, security forces trying to trace the slicer back to their location, alerts to the BOSS computer network, etc. Also this seems like a wonderful place to cause trouble with a 1 on the wild die.
4) Some of the 8D6 characters on planet may actually not want to illegally slice the BOSS database (they may be honest or cautious, see #3 above) so the actual number of possible sources of fake documents is smaller than the number of 8D6 skills.

Given the above, I wouldn't say this seems relatively easy to me. Just something that - given the right people, equipment, motivation, etc. is reasonable to be done, but with a significant chance for failure. Used once or twice it would make an interesting adventure in and of itself or like the Han Solo example, a nice hook for another adventure.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
1) average roll on 8D6 is 28 not 30+ so usually (absent CP or FP use) the character will fail the roll.

28 is only the most likely result on on 8D6. Other results only become slightly less likely the further removed the value gets from the mean value, so 30+ on an 8D6 is not out of the realm of possibility. Plus, for something as valuable as this, spending CPs or FPs on the roll is not out of the realm of possibility.

Quote:
2) I have yet to see a PC starting out with an 8D skill in anything. How exactly would they start that high. It seems they would need a 6D stat plus a 2D skill add, which would make them a bit one sided in Comp prog/repair to slice in. Wouldn't they also need forgery as well? That would potentially be another 6D stat + 2D skill. That seems like a very one dimensional character.

Per the RAW, Verpines have a racial max of 5D in Technical. If a character were to make their own template, with that attribute maxed out, then max out their computer programming/repair skill at character creation (2D max per skill, IIRC), then add the Verpine racial bonus of +2D to Technical, a Verpine would have a Computer Programming / Repair skill of 9D.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: