The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Older Ships.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Older Ships.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Older Ships. Reply with quote

So, I'm planning to let my players acquire a Dynamic-class Freighter (the same model as the Ebon Hawk).

This presents a couple of issues, the most prevalent of which is that we're playing in Rebellion Era, not the Old Republic. I'm planning on having the ship be the "pet project" of a reclusive billionaire or crime lord (still haven't decided which) who's recently taken to causing some problems for the Rebels. He's restored the ship as part of his "classic" collection of ships. New computers, modern weaponry, rebuilt engines, ect.

I'm trying to decide what sort of issues might pop up with using such a ship. So far, I've come up with a couple of things that might pop-up.

- While the parts are new, they've been styled to look identical to the factory-standard parts. While they function just fine, any replacements are going to be much more difficult to acquire, due to the rarity of the hardware.

- Quirks: power surges from the newer tech not interfacing with the old, blowouts, some of the restoration not being properly done (random s*** breaks).

I was wondering if anyone has seen any D6 rules covering using older models of ship, and get any feedback that you (that's right, you) might have on the subject.

Let me make you a picture!
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd assume that in order to remain compatible some of the newer computer type devices may have to run in emulation mode giving them access to only a portion of their true resources/functionality.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
BSDOblivion
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest the first thing that ship would probably need is a full rewiring. going from fuzes to circuit breakers, or 110 to 220 voltage in the lines to even plug the newer tech in.
the upside of it all is a lot more room to play. as the tech gets better its going to shrink and require less room. so over time more cargo room
downside of the newer tech, the larger pieces like the drives and hyperdrives would have been set into the old ship as if it was a load barring component. the guns may not do this but im sure that the engines, hyperdrive, and maybe even the shields could have been set to take weight as well as do the job. more structual additions would need to be considered for the upgrades. in the end it would be like a dynamic shell with a ship inside it. but hey, its a classic right?

sorry for the spelling and typos. bad hands today
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with the Jury rig rules.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: